Australia's first electric MX5!

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Transmission

Postby Transmission » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:58 am

Wow. About time!

This looks great.

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:13 am

Great to hear it'll be back up and running soon Hoops. Would be great to see you on some MX-5 club runs.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

zombie
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby zombie » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:12 am

Looks like it's up and running again - There's photos of it at the "ElectroKhana"

Wish I'd known about that event, I would have loved to have been there to spectate :D
Previous MX-5s:
Innocent Blue NB8A 10th Anniversary Edition
Stormy Blue NC2 Cosworth Edition

Hoops
Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby Hoops » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:28 pm

Good news, I finally got around to taking this thing over the pits, so it's now officially licensed and you might start seeing it around the streets of Perth - look out for the ZEVA plates!

While I'm writing, any recommendations on a good workshop in Perth to service or upgrade the brakes? They've never been very good on this thing, and now that I'm actually driving it around (and with a view to hit the race track occasionally) I'd like to have them looked at, or possibly get some bigger stoppers put in. I hear the NB brake upgrade is a common one, any other suggestions?

Sean
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Sean » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:54 pm

Perth - Call Les @ wheelspin/mx5shop.

He is a member on here I think mx52nv is his username. Knows MX5s pretty well to say the least and has performed brake upgrades more than a few times as far as I know 8)
When results speak for themselves - don't interrupt.

Jeo
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Jeo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:06 pm

Twood be very interesting to see out on the track.

Any chance of completed pics?

Hoops
Driver

Postby Hoops » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:46 pm

Sean: I thought Wheelspin had closed shop?

Jeo: Sure, will upload some more recent pics soon. These ones are still pretty up-to-date though: http://www.evworks.com.au/vehicles.php?id=1

Sean
Racing Driver

Postby Sean » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:52 pm

Hoops wrote:Sean: I thought Wheelspin had closed shop?

I think you're right, I think he runs MX5Shop now - That's what his profile shows.
When results speak for themselves - don't interrupt.

Okibi
Speed Racer

Re: Australia's first electric MX5!

Postby Okibi » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:17 am

Wheelspin has closed, any good mechanic should be able to service/flush/recondition your brakes.

If need be you can send the callipers or master/slave off to Perth Brake Parts for a rebuild.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

marcusus
Speed Racer

Postby marcusus » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:36 pm

I totally forgot this was in Perth... Is that offer for a test drive still open? :mrgreen:

geofiz
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby geofiz » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:56 am

PM sent re brakes.

NA8 - BP4W IHI VJ35, 3.9 Torsen2, Adaptronic - SOLD
NB8A - mostly stock for now

Benny
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Benny » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Hoops wrote:Good news, I finally got around to taking this thing over the pits, so it's now officially licensed and you might start seeing it around the streets of Perth - look out for the ZEVA plates!

Seeing as you can get a vehicle converted to run electric power registered, are there any limits imposed by the government as to how powerful the motor(s) can be?
I have read about cars like the electric version of the Mercedes SLS for example, and they are running over 400hp motors.
Would there be a power output limit for electric car conversions to get them road registered?

What racing class would this EV run in?

I believe the fastest drag bike in the world is running electric power, so we could all imagine a 400hp MX-5 which runs almost silently, and with all the torque being developed at idle, it would be a real hoot to drive!
ALWAYS RUNNING, SP with Bilstein Coil Overs and Doof Doof sound. Member of the Fat Bastards Racing Team

Hoops
Driver

Postby Hoops » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:28 pm

Hi Benny,

Officially you're meant to replace the petrol engine with an electric motor of equal or lesser power, but the loophole is that usually licensing people don't know anything about electric cars, and the official rating of an electric motor is it's continuous rating (not peak like petrol engines), and we put several times more than continuous rating through them short term e.g under acceleration. So right now you could get away with massive amounts of power in electrics and still get them through licensing.. if you've got the money to build them.

So far we don't really have any properly high performance electric cars in Australia though, with possible exception to the Tesla Roadster which Simon Hackett (Internode, NSW) imported last year. I'd love to see someone build an EV akin to White Zombie (a 10 second electric Datsun from the US) but it takes a fair bit of money and expertise.

pepejesus
Fast Driver

Postby pepejesus » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:36 pm

Thanks Hoops for bringing this beast out to the MX5 Club sprint over the weekend. It's an amazing car and a hell of achievement to put it together and get it road registered.

Now let's see what times it can do on the track! :evil:
2004 SE - stock ECU, stock engine, BEGi intake, FMIC, BC Racing 10/6, 15x8s, 225/45 NT-01s
Barbagallo long: 70.488
Barbagallo short: 58.999

marcusus
Speed Racer

Postby marcusus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:55 am

Great little surprise seeing it there. Next time I'll have to con you in to taking me for a spin in it.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”