Gorgan the NB

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: Gorgan the NB

Postby The Green Goblin » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:15 pm

Lokiel wrote:
The Green Goblin wrote:... its amazing how much new tools ive picked up since coming into ownership of it.

One thing I've learned is that if a job needs a specific tool, BUY the tool, otherwise you can spend hours getting a job done

agreed.

thanks for the info, i noticed that mania supplies those indicators, so next time im there i may check them out. its not bothering me at this point, once i get rid of those reflectors on front + rear bar, i will look at it then.

mx5002
Racing Driver

Postby mx5002 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:10 pm

The Green Goblin wrote:
track day on 15/9..which im aiming to attend - work permitting. p.s the car needs an exhaust. also 100 thou service is coming along. also need a go-pro for in car footage.. it never ends damn it.

cheerio.

Car looks great mate with all the right bits! I love the console delete

The mx5 club has a club day at Wakefield on Monday the 14th. You should come down then instead if you haven't already committed to the 15th.
GREEN ITB'd NB8B
SMSP south 1.04.30 SMSP GP 1:53:12 SMSP Brabham 2.21.11
Marulan 47.01
Wakefield 1.09.64 :D

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:27 pm

mx5002 wrote:
The Green Goblin wrote:
track day on 15/9..which im aiming to attend - work permitting. p.s the car needs an exhaust. also 100 thou service is coming along. also need a go-pro for in car footage.. it never ends damn it.

cheerio.

Car looks great mate with all the right bits! I love the console delete

The mx5 club has a club day at Wakefield on Monday the 14th. You should come down then instead if you haven't already committed to the 15th.

thanks dude.

i cant make either days unfortunately.. travelling for work instead. the plan is eventually hit up the mx5 club days. ive yet to properly test out the wheel/tyre set up in line with the suspension. so next trackday will be mid october or so..

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:49 pm

Long time no update..

I attended my 4th day at WP & yet again had an awesome time.. great weather (a little on the warm side) & definitely a therapeutic experience. I had 6 sessions in total before I called it a day. In this case, the first couple of sessions were spent getting into the groove as usual.. also wanted to get a general feel of the new tyres + suspension set up, everything performed great & there were no signs/sounds of issues or hesitations so I proceeded to start fanging it from there on.

Suspension; driving there I thought, damn these are too stiff - then again, I considered the awesome goat track like roads along the way, so feeling that way was reasonable. Not too long ago, I ran through the royal nasho & found them too bumpy to cope with that sort of road surface, came to the conclusion of not knowing if one could find that ‘in-between’ set up of ideal road & track to be honest, the stock suspension is spot on perfect for the national park in terms of absorption, being you can push it without it feeling scary at speed over the bumps, but on track they have way too much sway/roll where it really unsettles the car, conversely with the coils, they are too bumpy on harsh roads, yet provide a good level of stiffness on track, mind you the coils are on a soft setting, so winding them up would be worse on the road. The coils on track were pretty good.. limited body roll – the car felt planted, turns 3,7 & 9 (sweepers) was where I felt noticeable roll at speed, otherwise they are stiff enough & absorb well on track, I may leave these settings as is & potentially invest in an aftermarket front & rear sway bar?

Tyres; wow. What a difference.. the level that you can push without breaking traction amazed me at first. My tyre pressures when I left home were 36 psi.. measured them as soon as I got there at 40psi, the fluctuation was something I wasn’t used to, I left them at that on the first run.. & noticed over/under, so in the following sessions went down in increments of 2 PSI.. the final & ideal pressure was 32psi when warm. I had full confidence entering turn 3 quicker.. & turns 7 & 9 at WOT. A couple of times I pushed too hard in corner entry, I had decent oversteer & even held a couple of power slides.. felt great until I lost it twice, the car really does snap - I wish I had filmed it, that will happen next time. had some good battles with a GTI golf running proper race tyres & massive brakes.. he was running 1:15’s.. surprisingly a quick bast4rd..made friends with the guy who turned out to be an ex motorbike rider (most of them just know the line/how to drive).

My overall goals for the day were smoothness & consistency, proved this in the 5th session by running 5 laps between 1:18:21 & 1:18:78, i was pretty much stuck on the 1:18 mark the whole day until the last session, with a best time & new PB of 1:16.74. I recall driving much more agressively for this lap + using 2nd gear in turn 10 giving me a higher top speed on the straight, so something to remember for next time. The car is just too slow out of corners & straights (revs have to constantly stay high).. It really is constant learning/adjusting, which i like.

Here is what I plan on doing prior to my next track day:

1. Racing beat headers ceramic coated
2. full stainless steel exhaust @ 2.5 inch
3. Go pro & mounting hardware
4. Paint the front lip + install

Latest acquisitions:
- OEM SE headlights
- Blue point trolley jack to assist with maintenance/annoying jobs now that the car is low

I need to get the damned front lip on, so that is the first thing that will happen hopefully soon. So it’s all fun & games for now, enjoying it & I think it’s only going to get better.

this is the lowest & longest on the market.

improved speeds in most corners & straights

cleaned the car today, so hope to take some nice pics whilst the rims are still on.

until next time,
Jas.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:54 pm

How much was that trolley jack? It's the best one Ive seen, but damn Bluepoint/snapon don't publish pricing.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:17 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:How much was that trolley jack? It's the best one Ive seen, but damn Bluepoint/snapon don't publish pricing.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

610 big ones.. I contacted a snap on rep directly. Had to wait a while cause it was on back order, apparently they always are.. A lot of workshops use it. I'd rather pay premium once then buy a cheapo that will fail after a year or so.

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:55 pm

iphone pics..

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:10 pm

stuff has happened..

- SE headlights
- RS factory stage tow hook (OEM ones removed)
- garage vary lip.. gloss black, which just clears the driveway

if you're gona do it.. do it properly i say. will prob sell the clear nb8b headlights.

RB headers on the way. track day 19 Dec.. much needed.

over'n'out.

mx5002
Racing Driver

Postby mx5002 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:52 am

Looking good mate. I like the gloss black on the front lip. Mine is just satin, but I have satin black sideskirts and Ducktail to match.

I painted my headlight inserts black rather than shelling out on a set of se ones. Kinda regret it now. Finnish isn't as good as it was when I first did them

Where have you sourced your rb headers from. I wanna get myself a set too!
GREEN ITB'd NB8B
Marulan 47.01

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:23 pm

mx5002 wrote:Looking good mate. I like the gloss black on the front lip. Mine is just satin, but I have satin black sideskirts and Ducktail to match.

I painted my headlight inserts black rather than shelling out on a set of se ones. Kinda regret it now. Finnish isn't as good as it was when I first did them

Where have you sourced your rb headers from. I wanna get myself a set too!

Thanks dude. The lip had a dull finish when purchased hence opting to paint.

I didn't want to fork out on the SE lights either.. But I also didn't want to stuff around with painting current ones / wanted proper items.. I say it was worth it.

Deckspeed is an official RB distributor & forum sponsor. Not cheap but quality..

Again my philosophy is if you're gone do it.. Do it once, properly.

guss_bruss
Fast Driver

Postby guss_bruss » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:39 pm

Dude your NB is coming along so nicely! Keep up the quality mods!
Follow me on social media!
Instagram: @guss_bruss www.instagram.com/guss_bruss
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/angusis2fast4u

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:20 pm

thanks man.

went for an awesome cruise with a mate to the northern beaches via mccarrs creek rd the other day.. Gorg's is untouchable in the twisties 8)

also, the Christmas decorations are up.. really is a quality product, looking forward to getting it & full exhaust on in the new year.

orooo.

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:09 pm

so here is a quick summary of the track day on 19th Dec:

- weather was stinkin hot, reached mid 30's
- pretty crowded/traffic on the day due to being a weekend
- managed a best time of 1:17.62
- had a close call on the hill section, pushed too hard/took the wrong line & ended up sideways on the ripple strip, resulting in the bottom of the car/chassis scraping!
- car overheated on 2 occasions, had to back off as the needle shot up - not sure if i should look into this i.e. if the radiator is on the way out, it is starting to go brown.
- met some lads from the forum.. all in all good fun, a little disappointed i couldn't beat the PB + damage to car.

i think the car's suspension needs to be stiffened up OR i get some sways front/rear. i won't be hitting the track anytime soon, until i get the exhaust on the car..

pics of the day, mitch's NC (2.4L swap).

Merry Christmas.

mx5002
Racing Driver

Postby mx5002 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:37 pm

If the radiator is browning is definately time to start shopping for a replacement. I have a 42mm ebay aluminium one in mine and have never had any issues with getting hot. Only cost around 150 and fit all the original fans etc straight on.

Those headers are so nice :)

I run an rb front sway on my car and standard rear. But stiffening up your coilovers may provide sine improvement also
GREEN ITB'd NB8B
Marulan 47.01

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:27 pm

mx5002 wrote:...I have a 42mm ebay aluminium one in mine and have never had any issues..

Cooling Pro of ASI?
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”