Stu's NA6/SE

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Stu's NA6/SE

Postby greenMachine » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:14 pm

Stu, my WiFi SD card is hiding from me, but a quick g**gle says nil micro wifi cards - lots of micro cards that slot into a full size SD adapter that has wifi, but that doesn't help.

I found this which you could take the cable over the top, or across from the slot to a more convenient spot. Hell, if you put a wifi card in the SD slot, you might be able to interrogate the micro card from a phone, laptop etc. Maybe ... but for a few bucks it would be worth experimenting. Tons of these, I just picked one at random, ditto the wifi SD cards.

:mrgreen:

EDIT: Actually, with the adapter in the IQ slot, there will be no micro card to interrogate. :cry: But, the full size SD card will be more accessible, and if you use one of the microSD card in an adapter with wifi, maybe the IQ will log to the microcard, and that card can be read through the wifi. Again, only experimentation will show whether it works, but the remote SD card should be a good bet at least, and that will give you 75% of the safety and convenience you are looking for. Hopefully ...
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

StuwieP
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StuwieP » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:16 pm

More movement - getting closer to fully road-going. Engineer looked at things last weekend, including doing a brake test.

A few things to tidy up but nothing major. Unfortunately it was so windy we couldn't do a proper exhaust voume test, even though he knows it will not be too loud... sometimes ticking the boxes is the hardest bit!

Brake test was interesting - first go at really stepping on things. Even with the front left brake line leaking (oops... installer error - now fixed) and rear brake pressure at maximum reduction, it pretty much demolished the brake fade test. Only observation is that the front Hawk HPS, while not fading at all during the test, really don't bite very hard. Will look at something with a higher Cf for the next set once these wear out. I have some blues for the track... but I don't feel like killing my rotors with day to day driving on them.

In other good news I got the original digital speedo (VSS) through a $15 VSS-to-VR conditioner chip and then to the dash. After a little fiddling with the input pulse rate to output signal in the racepak software (it's basically a driveshaft RPM input) I have it displaying kph. Since I'm just going up and down the street it seems accurate to 50kph. Time will tell if it goes out against the GPS speed at 100kph, and I expect it might need a little more tweaking once I have my little blue sticker.

Nearly there :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

StuwieP
Fast Driver

Postby StuwieP » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:11 pm

Well... VicRoads...

In the last month I've had the engine out to fix some minor oil leaks Dann identified while installing everything. We thought it was probably a front crank seal. Turns out the little half-moon oil seals were not quite doing their job right. Replaced them now and so everything is buttoned up properly. Replaced front crank seal while there just to be on the safe side.

Then - trouble. Emissions testing has alwasy been a complicated area with Victoria, not least because VicRoads doesn't provide facility for testing and the new private solution is... pricey!

Based on my reading of the relevant rules and regulations (with which the VASS engineer agreed) I needed to comply with the rules basically as they applied to my car the moment before I made my first changes. VicRoads now wants me to comply with the rules as they applied the moment my car was built.

So yay. My car gets to be the test-pig for the discussion between VicRoads and the wider car-modification community.

The good news for those of you modifying cars with ADR37/00 emissions compliance requirements is that if things go the way they should under the regs, you won't need to do an IM240 test, just an EPA test.
The bad news is that I can't get my blue sticker until this issue is resolved.
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Oh no. After all the discussions on the forum it seems VicRoads have said 'no'.
Good luck.

StuwieP
Fast Driver

Postby StuwieP » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:36 pm

Thanks Bruce.

Upshot is maybe it will be easier for others to do stuff like this once my car has been through the wringer.

Otherwise everything works great :roll: just wish I could drive the thing instead of watching it collect dust.
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

MX5NBpsi
Driver
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby MX5NBpsi » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:01 pm

the IM240 test can be done in NSW (as it is free)and the report is usable here in VIC. I know a workshop here that fits falcon motors into Nissan Patrols they put 3 on a truck as it was lightyears cheaper to transport them up there and have the test.
:NB8B: [SLOMX5]

StuwieP
Fast Driver

Postby StuwieP » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:03 pm

Yeah its definitely on the cards and something I've considered before.

But if the testing doesn't actually need to be done, don't want to take the time off work or spend the $$ transporting it if the engineer is happy without the data. And we can convince VicRoads they've set up a parallel system from the NCOP/ADR
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

StuwieP
Fast Driver

Postby StuwieP » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:17 pm

In a piece of small but very exciting news, this rather innocuous photograph was taken somewhere other than my house
Because I got my little blue sticker :D :D

It's been a long 18 months to get to this point (and about 6 months longer than I expected/hoped). Now I have to learn to drive it properly and get to the track, the only place it can really stretch its legs.

Looking forward to the next phase of ownership :D :D
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

legume
Driver

Postby legume » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:22 pm

Stu,
Good to see it all done.
Its been interesting to see the path of engineering an MX here in Vic.
I might go back through it all.
Well done and great news.

PaulF
Racing Driver

Postby PaulF » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:59 am

Congrats mate, great job!

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:59 am

That's awesome, congratulations! Now the fun part, enjoy :mrgreen:

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:31 am

Cool.
NSW emissions test?

StuwieP
Fast Driver

Postby StuwieP » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:35 am

Had the testing sorted down here with the help of a work connection
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:00 pm

It's always a case of not what you know, but who you know.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:24 pm

Good work Stu!!

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”