Kula's NA6

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

marcusus
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby marcusus » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:05 pm

Dammit! Must.. go... to... Japan...

I'd be almost tempted to buy two sets just in case :P

Sasso

Postby Sasso » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:25 pm

Are you talking about the dash gauges? They are very nice. My fav shot is that one with the steering wheel and dash.

I'm a bit confused when it comes to those. Is it just a face that sticks on the old one or is it the whole round thing and everything behind it? From yours it looks like the whole unit because zero is in a different place, or is it just rotated?
I've always wondered because I'd like to get a new dash face especially since the turbo will be able to go past 180 but the needle doesn't. However my speedo is the jap one that goes to 180 and most of the other ones I see go to 220. What can I do, I'd like to keep the km's in tact to help resale value but I want it to read past 180.

kula
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby kula » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:34 pm

Aussie ones go to 220? JDM go to 180.

Dewa make faces which go on top of the factory ones, for both 220 and 180 speedos. the ones i liked and bought were only for the 180kmh so i got a JDM instrument cluster from mx5mania.

I popped it open, replaced the dials with the AWD ones, and roberts my fathers brother. Yes, the pointers were rotated slightly, but they all read true, I used a GPS to check that the speedo was still accurate. and it does go up to 190-200km/h

he makes a massive range of various faces, for both NA and NB, even RX8 as well, and I think NC now.

wun911
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby wun911 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:31 pm

Full respect to the light weight mods....
every ounce counts

Sasso

Re:

Postby Sasso » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:56 am

kula wrote:Aussie ones go to 220? JDM go to 180.

Dewa make faces which go on top of the factory ones, for both 220 and 180 speedos. the ones i liked and bought were only for the 180kmh so i got a JDM instrument cluster from mx5mania.

I popped it open, replaced the dials with the AWD ones, and roberts my fathers brother. Yes, the pointers were rotated slightly, but they all read true, I used a GPS to check that the speedo was still accurate. and it does go up to 190-200km/h

he makes a massive range of various faces, for both NA and NB, even RX8 as well, and I think NC now.

Ah K so its just the face then. WHen you say it goes 190-200 is that just the readings or does the needle actually go there? On mine the needle stays at 180 even if you go past it. I just jacked the rear wheels and redlined 5th. It hits 180 at the end of 4th even, so none of 5th gear is measured. Maybe I'm best to get an aussie speedo and somehow swap the km's over.

kula
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby kula » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:24 am

havent taken it past 180, maybe when the turbo comes on ;)

Sean
Racing Driver

Re:

Postby Sean » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:51 am

Sasso wrote:

Ah K so its just the face then. WHen you say it goes 190-200 is that just the readings or does the needle actually go there? On mine the needle stays at 180 even if you go past it. I just jacked the rear wheels and redlined 5th. It hits 180 at the end of 4th even, so none of 5th gear is measured. Maybe I'm best to get an aussie speedo and somehow swap the km's over.

On the road/track the car wont go much over 180 unless you have a few decent mods, 5th doesn't seem to have the torque to turn the wheels any faster than 4th can turn them at 7200rpm.
When results speak for themselves - don't interrupt.

Sasso

Re:

Postby Sasso » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:40 pm

Sean wrote:
Sasso wrote:

On the road/track the car wont go much over 180 unless you have a few decent mods, 5th doesn't seem to have the torque to turn the wheels any faster than 4th can turn them at 7200rpm.

Oh yeah I'm not concerned with it right now because I only get to 180 at the end of the eastern creek straight, I'm concerned when the turbo goes on it will easily max 5th but I won't know how fast it is.

Mactype
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Re:

Postby Mactype » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:21 pm

Sasso wrote: I just jacked the rear wheels and redlined 5th. It hits 180 at the end of 4th even, so none of 5th gear is measured.

...have you never seen Ferris Buellers day off?

Sasso

Re:

Postby Sasso » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:36 pm

Mactype wrote:
Sasso wrote: I just jacked the rear wheels and redlined 5th. It hits 180 at the end of 4th even, so none of 5th gear is measured.

...have you never seen Ferris Buellers day off?

nope why?

Ajay
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Ajay » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:38 pm

hahaha!! could end badly.. save it for the DYNO :lol:

marcusus
Speed Racer

Postby marcusus » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:43 pm

:lol: :lol:
You'd be spewing if that happened to you though...

Sasso

Postby Sasso » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:46 pm

Dyno is too expensive for this simple experiment which went quite well I thought, the dyno looks way more dangerous since its actually loaded, the car just felt like it was revving in neutral.

Ajay
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Ajay » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:17 am

on the dyno your car is strapped down...and is quite safe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gIf7NHqkGs

marcusus
Speed Racer

Re:

Postby marcusus » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:16 am

Sasso wrote:Dyno is too expensive for this simple experiment which went quite well I thought, the dyno looks way more dangerous since its actually loaded, the car just felt like it was revving in neutral.

The dyno would be way way safer than just propping the car up. It's a bit counter intuitive because you can kinda see the car move, but there's a lot more safety involved in a dyno, not to mention the engineering that went into building the thing (which you should appreciate) with all it's safeguards etc.

Wheres think about you propping it up with the jack or whatever. What if some kids are playing ball and they smack a cricket ball hard into one of the jacks. Jack goes out, wheel hits ground, car hits wall. For example...

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”