Kula's NA6

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Ajay
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Ajay » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:10 pm

imagine at 180k's.. the car hitting the ground and taking off :shock:

Sasso

Postby Sasso » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:16 pm

lol haven't seen that movie.

Its going to take much more than a cricket ball to knock over a jack stand, there is a lot of weight resting on it, its not just gonna pop off unless you mounted it wrong.
The wheels just spin where they are, there's no vibrations or load on the car so its the same thing as if it was just sitting there.

The mass of the drivetrain and wheels would be tiny compared to the car so there isn't much momentum in it. On the dyno the wheels touching something and are spinning big heavy roller a few inches away from solid ground. I've seen plenty of dynos before and they look WAY more dangerous than just free spinning the wheels. Dyno's use all the power of the engine, free spin uses whatever it takes to spin the drivetrain which is nothing, there is hardly any energy involved.
Anyway doesn't matter I've done it and nothing happened and found out what I needed to know. The needle doesn't go past 180 for some stupid reason.

marcusus
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby marcusus » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:41 pm

It's only a hypothetical situation. What if your jack fails under load due to whatever reason and it drops? Different problem, same result.

Meanwhile, how many times have you known of a dyno that has been correctly setup to allow a car to spin off it?

Sasso

Re:

Postby Sasso » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:27 pm

marcusus wrote:It's only a hypothetical situation. What if your jack fails under load due to whatever reason and it drops? Different problem, same result.

Meanwhile, how many times have you known of a dyno that has been correctly setup to allow a car to spin off it?

Both stands have to break because I dont have a clutch diff and so if one wheel hit the ground all power goes to the other one which just spins faster. Chances of that are slim. So you're saying that you never get under your car to work on it because you don't trust the jack stands? Your life is more important than a wall but you trust them then.

marcusus
Speed Racer

Postby marcusus » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:16 pm

Actually I don't get under my car to do any work, but that's because I'm lazy and I also would have no idea what I'd be doing under there :oops:

In the end, my point is that I wouldn't jack the car up and rev it til it won't rev no more for fear of something silly happening (it's not impossible... just very very slim chances) and the car ploughing into a wall.

Sasso

Postby Sasso » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:22 pm

You can always just hit the brakes as the cars falling and top the wheels pretty quick. Anyway enough.

Kula I can't wait till you get your turbo, the car will be almost complete. When are you planning it to be on by?

Were you planning on getting some bigger anti roll bars? I have some Signature bars similar to whiteline and they're pretty good, the car is much more stable in corners and sits almost dead flat.

What are your thoughts and experiences with the FM butterfly brace, I should be getting one soon but might have to sell it because I have no money. My friend has one and he said its the best mod he's done to the car, before he put the turbo on.

kula
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby kula » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:30 pm

new plates

well not that new, but have added them to the thread.

also have a cat back exhaust to put one, might do that tomorrow.

kula
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re:

Postby kula » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:34 pm

Sasso wrote:Kula I can't wait till you get your turbo, the car will be almost complete. When are you planning it to be on by?

Were you planning on getting some bigger anti roll bars? I have some Signature bars similar to whiteline and they're pretty good, the car is much more stable in corners and sits almost dead flat.

What are your thoughts and experiences with the FM butterfly brace, I should be getting one soon but might have to sell it because I have no money. My friend has one and he said its the best mod he's done to the car, before he put the turbo on.

yeah turbo isnt too far away, i have a big box of stuff ready to go!
just need to source a computer for it..

i have racing beat hollow front bar, and whiteline adjustable rear bar on,
they did make a nice difference, noticably flatter and easier to drive.
i had the front one on only first, had a wakefield day, and it was easy to drive, but for me was just too hard to get away from the understeer.
with the rear bar on now, its just a bit better, noticably less understeer on entry, and abotu the same coming out...

yeah the brace helped a lot, its big and heavy, but yeah it firmed it up a lot, less rattles too.

RaYmO
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby RaYmO » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:04 pm

Love the number plate 8)

Sean
Racing Driver

Re:

Postby Sean » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:00 am

kula wrote:new plates

is it meant to say roadster or RDA star?
When results speak for themselves - don't interrupt.

RaYmO
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby RaYmO » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:13 am

roadster in japanese = rod-a-sta

:D

Sean
Racing Driver

Re:

Postby Sean » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:18 am

RaYmO wrote:roadster in japanese = rod-a-sta

:D

Hahaha, I like it. Makes sense of another forum members name too!
When results speak for themselves - don't interrupt.

PUR157
Racing Driver
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby PUR157 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:40 am

you guys obviously aren't JDM enough... :lol:
Oneness of Man and Machine

meanmx
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby meanmx » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:28 am

Hey Kula, I was just reading your article in the latest Autosalon mag about modifying your rear bar. I was thinking that this could suit my car but I was hoping you would have some more photos of it before I go ahead. Thanks mate

Ben
2014 VW Mk7 Golf R
2001 Black NB8B viewtopic.php?f=57&t=58136
1986 Mazda Luce Royal Classic (13BT Mazda 929)

redwards
Fast Driver

Re:

Postby redwards » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:26 pm

kula wrote:Image

That beaver panel actually suits slim line plates - where's it from? Or is it the standard for the first NA6's?
Former owner of a white 1994 NA8 Clubman

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”