Adam's Clubman

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Adam_NAclubman
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Re: Adam's Clubman

Postby Adam_NAclubman » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:45 pm

Sold this six months ago back to my friend I got it from a decade ago, ended up swapping it with his TT Soarer, poured some money into that to make sure it'll be reliable for another 100,000km and managed to get out to Mallala in that when I put it off for years in the MX5. The Soarer was far better on the track than I'd expected but had some heat management issues, which got me thinking that the perfect track car would probably be reasonably light and NA to ensure a clear air path for the radiator and no extra heatsoak issues. Something like a MX5 with a Flyin' Miata LS kit

Adam_NAclubman
Racing Driver

Postby Adam_NAclubman » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:10 pm

:)

Got offered the car back at a very tempting price, it got defected a week ago for being too low and running too wide a track increase (8 +0's will do that...) so I've slashed the price I was asking for the Civic and stashed the MX5.

Once I can get it home I'll put the stock Bilsteins back in and remove the rollbar, then at some point I'll have to pull the exhaust, ecu and turbo kit. Hoping it won't be terribly difficult. Once its back on the road I'm planning on taking it to Mallala a couple of times and then working out whether I'll part the good stuff off or go back to turbo and look at getting that legal

smy0003
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby smy0003 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:23 pm

If I can de-turbo a car, anyone can. Should only take a few days work tops.
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

Adam_NAclubman
Racing Driver

Postby Adam_NAclubman » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:43 pm

Thats what I figure, I mean, I managed to put it in there, I should be able to work out how to take it all out haha

randyMX5 ImBack
Driver

Postby randyMX5 ImBack » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:31 am

Go the engineered turbo route! I'm just about to get mine back on the road after 8 years off..

Adam_NAclubman
Racing Driver

Postby Adam_NAclubman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:23 pm

Haha, I already knew yours was at G7 :p

I've finally gotten rid of the Civic Type R wreck that has been in my courtyard for four years so its time to pull the Clubman out and get it back on the road.

I was planning on pulling all the good bits out and putting it back to stock but I've let myself get talked into getting the turbo legal.

For a start I've ordered new front and rear wheel bearings and lower ball joints, may as well start with the bits that stop wheels falling off as they're kind of important. I've got SE front brakes I bought years ago and never fitted because I didn't want to have to run big wheels, so its time to fit them and unfortunately get some 16's (unless by chance they *can* fit under 15's?)

My tuner is happier working with Link ecus than my Autronic, so while he has gotten a really nice tune on the Autronic, in the interests of getting an emissions-legal tune (but kinda more because I want extra outputs so I can have fan control, idle control and boost control) I'm going to sell the SMC and get a plug-in Link. I'm happy with the size of the turbo but the intercooler needs to be mounted more solidly and the cast AVO pipe to the throttlebody needs to be replaced by something custom-made to give some clearance for the top radiator hose because of the thicker radiator.

I'll pull the rollbar out and refit the NA8 crossbrace and I think I'll try and find some front guards that haven't been pulled and rolled to quite the extent that mine have

rossint
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby rossint » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:04 pm

SE brakes definitely fit under 15s, maybe not all 15s but a lot of people run 15s with the big brakes.

Adam_NAclubman
Racing Driver

Postby Adam_NAclubman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:58 am

Thats welcome news. I had a feeling I may have remembered that they did fit, but its been a long time since I looked into this stuff

rossint
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby rossint » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:38 am

Have you checked to see if you’ll need to upgrade the rears as well?

Adam_NAclubman
Racing Driver

Postby Adam_NAclubman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:32 pm

Probably should...

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”