NC 20BPP Time Attack / Track Car - Build Thread

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

orx626
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NC - Rotary

NC 20BPP Time Attack / Track Car - Build Thread

Postby orx626 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:32 pm

Having tracked both ORX-626 & OMX-596 for a number of years it was time to build myself a pure track car!

Both cars have their pros & cons and as they are quite tidy (many, many hours spent on them) registered cars, the last thing I'd want to do is have a red mist moment and damage them :evil:. Neither of them have a roll cage/bar or harnesses so that also held me back from getting the most out of them when on the track. They are two completely different vehicles, with the 626 having ample straight line speed and braking capacity, the MX-5 having fantastic balance and handling. The brakes on the 5 are perfectly OK as the car doesn't have a particulary high top speed that may require larger items.

So the recipe for the track car was quite simple, take all the good points of both cars and put them into one vehicle. So the chassis choice was quite simple....MX-5....but which series..NA, NB or NC :?: As most of you would have gathered by now, I'm quite partial to the rotary engine, so which chassis would accept a 13B the easiest? Having done plenty of research, it was obvious that the NC was the best solution. As you may have read in other threads (other forums included) regarding \"rotarising\" MX-5's/Miata's, the main issue with installing a rotary in either an NA or NB is the lack of room available for positioning the engine and gearbox where it really should be without substantial modifications. This is primarily due to the high centreline of the rotary's eccentric shaft (crankshaft) when compared to a piston engine. The other reason for going NC is that it is soooo new. :mrgreen:

Anyhow, having now decided on the chassis and engine combination I'd better start acquiring the necessary items.

So in August '06 a suitable engine became available....'03 model RX-8 13B MSP with 6-speed and engine loom and under 15,000km on it.

Last edited by orx626 on Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 40 times in total.

orx626
Forum sponsor

Postby orx626 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:48 pm

In September '06 a suitable damaged chassis became available in Japan. An '05 model NC in Winning Blue (my favourite colour) with less than 3,000km on it :shock: . It was the base model fitted with 16\" wheels and 5-speed...however it did have the Bose audio option. After a few anxious e-mails I'd secured it! :D

Then not a lot happened until January '07 when the bare chassis finally reached our shores....as you can see I also picked up a hard top and a second-hand front bar. 8)

orx626
Forum sponsor

Postby orx626 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:02 pm

Once again not a lot happened until September '07, besides acquiring various bits and pieces like Tein Flexes with EDFC, headlights, quick-shift, mazdaspeed pedal rubbers and gear knob, and an Eaton M90 supercharger! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

As previously mentioned, I wanted the punch of the 13BT in the 626, but this time I'd try something different with the forced induction route. I'm an advocate of the \"area under the curve\" on a power versus rpm graph (rather than just maximum hp), and I really wanted the massive torque available throughout the rev range that can be provided by a positive displacement supercharger. I'm more than happy to give away peak horsepower for a wide and flat torque band....especially on a track car. It will be intercooled via an air to water unit not unlike the one I designed for my 626.

Last edited by orx626 on Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

timk
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby timk » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:35 pm

If only Mazda sold them this way! I know this car will be immaculate Danny, just as the other cars you have built are.

Good luck with it!

kula
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby kula » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:01 pm

absolutely awesome!

Fatty
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Fatty » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:11 pm

\"amazing\" & \"awesome\" are 2 words that spring to mind :shock:

Alex
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Alex » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:06 pm

OMG :shock:
more photo's needed
Red NB8A - BD rollbar - Hardtop

orx626
Forum sponsor

Re:

Postby orx626 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:30 am

orx626 wrote:Once again not a lot happened until September '07.....

Not completely true as I forgot that it was in October '06 that I found another NC that was complementary to the Winning Blue one...ie had most of the bits I needed for the repair :D .

It was also an '05 base model, however it was Wine in colour and had taken quote a hit on the drivers side at the A-pillar and drivers door. It also had low km, only 9336km.

Now fast forwarding 'back' to September '07 when it landed on our shores, I promptly stripped it out so that the chassis from the firewall forward could be unpicked is readiness for the transplant.

Quite a hefty hit!!! :shock:

orx626
Forum sponsor

Postby orx626 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:35 am

Thanks for the positive comments guys....I just wish I could find some more time to keep it ticking along a bit faster. :cry: This thing called 'work' keeps getting in the way!

Cheers,
Danny

Boags
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Boags » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:46 pm

Absolutely inspiring. 8)
Spartan Motor Sport : http://www.SpartanMS.com.au

orx626
Forum sponsor

Postby orx626 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:24 pm

Struggling to keep things chronological here :frown: ...

In August '07 I got the chassis rolling by slinging both front and rear subframes in place so that it was easier to get it to the panel beaters....a forklift made light work of this. :mrgreen:

Running-gear less shell on a two-post hoist....

Raising the front subframe into place....

....and installed.

NC rear subframe (multi-link) ready to be fitted...

Rolling and ready to go for surgery......

October 2007 saw the first project milestone after the front end damage was repaired.

Loaded and ready to go to the panel beater.

Here's some photos that detail what structure was removed and how it was replaced. 8) Where possible, the chassis' original spot welds were replicated as opposed to just cutting sections and butting them together.

In the first week of November '07 it returned looking like this 8) .....absolutely sweet!!!

Last edited by orx626 on Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Administrator
Site Admin
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby Administrator » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:21 pm

Hi Danny,

Keep up the great work, it is going to be a stunner when you have finished :)
Following in Bob's foot steps

orx626
Forum sponsor

Re:

Postby orx626 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:51 pm

Administrator wrote:Hi Danny,

Keep up the great work, it is going to be a stunner when you have finished :)

Thanks for the support Bob :D . I still have a few more posts to go before the thread is current. My goal is to have it ready to run the MX-5 Club Of Queensland and Timeattack (http://www.timeattack.com.au) events next year.

Regards,
Danny

SKYHI
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby SKYHI » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:48 am

Nice work Danny, hope to see you and the car at the track soon.

Paul.

PUR157
Racing Driver
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby PUR157 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:32 pm

I've seen the RX wheels on a Mazda 3 and a Mazda 6 now...
I think Mazda made that wheel to go with the whole model range because I can't think of a Mazda they look ugly on

So should we be calling this an RX-5? :mrgreen:
Just don't go saying it to the Rotary fogies...

Great work... can't wait to see what it can do when it's done...!
Oneness of Man and Machine

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”