The Roadster NA Journey Begins

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Re: The Roadster NA Journey Begins

Postby Magpie » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:00 pm

bruce wrote:Maggie does love his green.

This is the colour scheme I'm aiming for...

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:02 pm

Wiring is complete

Adding up the wiring alone:
22AWG Tefzel - 188m
22AWG Tefzel Twin Shield - 3m
22AWG Tefzel Tri Shield - 3m
18AWG Tefzel - 40m
14AWG Tefzel - 11m
12AWG Tefzel - 3m
Braided sleeving - 38m

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:49 pm

Car is on its way home. Have some more work to do when it gets home like removing the cosmetic wiper/light switches as they are now all on switches! Also have a new fuel filter as well as the valve cover and catch can. SO many jobs to do.

Can is off for an alignment and diff swap next week. Bring on SDT at Morgan Park on 14/08!

It Starts
https://www.facebook.com/teamracepak/videos/510622079678789/

Fuel Filter

Custardtart
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Custardtart » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:59 am

Check that filter out! Far too nice to fill with oil :lol:
NC1 - 2.5 opposite lock device
Lakeside 62.3

Custardtart
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Custardtart » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:01 pm

"It's still as noisy as sh*t" :lol: :twisted:
NC1 - 2.5 opposite lock device
Lakeside 62.3

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:09 pm

Custardtart wrote:"It's still as noisy as sh*t" :lol: :twisted:
That was my other half, she was getting the run down on how it starts. I have not told her that the video is on Facebook...

At World Time Attack this year, 4 of the cars from Queensland will have been wired by the place that did mine! It was not 'cheap' but hopefully it is worth it in the long run. I may have to change the car's agreed value for insurance as well.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:20 pm

WTAC 2019 over and disappointing result, no PB and 0.2 seconds off the PB :(

The poor showing I put down to lack of seat time and the 5 speed / 4.78 combo.

So, it is time to look at 2020...
  1. Replace 5 speed with 6 speed (happening next week)
  2. Fix intake air temps, they were around 65+ at times
  3. Move brake/clutch reservoirs to inside the cabin
  4. New air box with longer/staggered trumpets or even vairable
  5. Refresh engine and maybe up to 14:1
  6. Replace dampers, already have a proposal to have some custom valves/stroke lengths and setup. I buy a set and they will customise setup/modify at no cost.
  7. Install OEM bumper. Bumper cuts not allowed in clubsprint.
  8. Try 245/255 tyres (17x9 rims). Anybody have a set I can borrow, I have tyres :)
  9. Finish the shell and start testing by October 2020. Engine purchased, gearbox located and organised (can borrow to test fit and if works arrangements can be made) and other arrangements made. This is a result of an intervention by Moti, Ryan Passéy and Andrew Price. Should be a ‘different’ build, meet clubsprint rules and be the only one in Aust that we know of...

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:27 pm

0.2 off your PB is not bad.
So much stuff to do. How do you find time to go to work?

Tim_cyc03
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby Tim_cyc03 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:42 pm

I will start this by saying, I want you to succeed, and I am still waiting for the P804 to come to fruition so that I can steal ideas.

But in relation to the below, I am confused...?

So, it is time to look at 2020...
1. Replace 5 speed with 6 speed (happening next week)
4. New air box with longer/staggered trumpets or even vairable
5. Refresh engine and maybe up to 14:1
9. Finish the shell and start testing by October 2020. Engine purchased, gearbox located and organised (can borrow to test fit and if works arrangements can be made) and other arrangements made. This is a result of an intervention by Moti, Ryan Passéy and Andrew Price. Should be a ‘different’ build, meet clubsprint rules and be the only one in Aust that we know of...

^ Why do 1,4, and 5 if you are just going to do 9?

2. Fix intake air temps, they were around 65+ at times

^ how? I just looked at my data from a 30 lap race at SMSP and intake temp max is 17.9 degrees. Yes it was winter, but even in the middle of summer I doubt that would jump 50 degrees.

6. Replace dampers, already have a proposal to have some custom valves/stroke lengths and setup. I buy a set and they will customise setup/modify at no cost.

^ This sounds like a lot of money for not much gain. I ran yellow speed pro somethings (like $1,000) they were with 10/9 springs and who knows what damper settings for 6 years. I'm pretty sure they are very similar to the BC's you're running but without the external reservoirs and what ever else you did to them. Maybe you are more sensitive to suspension setup than I am, and would be able to make the most of of such a specific combination. (or maybe its actually really cheap and I don't know what I'm talking about)

Back to 9.

Since you are set on clubsprint, and as the rules state, it must be a Mazda 4 cylinder engine. I would take a stab that it's either a NC 2ltr, or a what ever its from 2.5ltr. If so it seems intake and exhaust are swapped and would such a thing fit onto a standard subframe, let alone bolt up to anything? If that is what you are going to do, just buy an NC, they are cheap now.

Again, still waiting for P804.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:19 pm

P804 is still going :)

I will get it to a rolling shell and give you the weight. Without subframes/windscreen it is about 200kg.

I only need a roll bar for WTAC clubsprint so a full cage may not go it, rather may just seam weld it.

Air intake is in the engine bay near the bottom of the radiator. It used to be in the wheel well, but the 90o bend fell off a while ago and was never put back on. Maybe I should remake the old intake setup.

There is a reason for doing the refresh as it has had a hard life is due for one. Upping the compression is a thought, would depend on cost.

Also I’m realistic that the naturally aspirated version needs to be running for the next 12 months as I doubt that I will get P804 done by October 2020.

With respect the the suspension again it is a possibility, the BC ER’s are still doing their job. Maybe a softer rear spring is all they need. Again I can test this and there maybe no need to change.

Why not just a NC? For clubsprint a NC can weight 1055 where as a NA6 is 893kgs. Being NA I get to be 10% less than these weights.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:41 am

Magpie wrote:Why not just a NC? For clubsprint a NC can weight 1055 where as a NA6 is 893kgs. Being NA I get to be 10% less than these weights.

Thus the P804 nomenclature.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:15 pm

bruce wrote:Thus the P804 nomenclature.
Yes!

SKYHI
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby SKYHI » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:59 pm

Well done on another successful WTAC event Mark. Might not have achieved a PB, but your car was very reliable and you got plenty of laps in, which can't be said for a lot of other competitors.

Was great to finally catch up at the track. Hopefully we can do it a bit more often in 2020 :D

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:05 pm

SKYHI wrote:Was great to finally catch up at the track. Hopefully we can do it a bit more often in 2020 :D
Guaranteed!

Looking at going to Sydney for the 6hr in May 2020, interested?

SKYHI
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby SKYHI » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:33 pm

Magpie wrote:
SKYHI wrote:Was great to finally catch up at the track. Hopefully we can do it a bit more often in 2020 :D
Guaranteed!

Looking at going to Sydney for the 6hr in May 2020, interested?

Hmmmm.... that does sound tempting. Did a couple of 1hr races at SMSP (EC) in an MX5 a few years back. I haven't ever really looked into the 6hr events, are they a regularity type event?

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”