The Roadster NA Journey Begins

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Re: The Roadster NA Journey Begins

Postby Magpie » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:02 pm

SKYHI wrote:Hmmmm.... that does sound tempting. Did a couple of 1hr races at SMSP (EC) in an MX5 a few years back. I haven't ever really looked into the 6hr events, are they a regularity type event?

Yes regularity, Takumi Oils wants to enter 2 teams and has asked me if I can get a team from Queensland together. I will find out more details soon.

SKYHI
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby SKYHI » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:47 pm

Magpie wrote:
SKYHI wrote:Hmmmm.... that does sound tempting. Did a couple of 1hr races at SMSP (EC) in an MX5 a few years back. I haven't ever really looked into the 6hr events, are they a regularity type event?

Yes regularity, Takumi Oils wants to enter 2 teams and has asked me if I can get a team from Queensland together. I will find out more details soon.

Sounds good, keep me posted :)

Custardtart
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Custardtart » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:43 am

Magpie wrote:

I'd be up for this, whilst not fast I have a fair bit of experience.
NC1 - 2.5 opposite lock device
Lakeside 62.3

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:49 pm

Custardtart wrote:I'd be up for this, whilst not fast I have a fair bit of experience.

Will pass on some details, So far that is 3 from QLD. Takumi can provide another team member if needed. The plan is to run the two teams from the same garage and share pit crews/support :)

plohl
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby plohl » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:51 pm

Who's cars are they using?
Cheers,
plohl

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:07 pm

plohl wrote:Who's cars are they using?

Each person uses their own car. I have to figure out how to get some economy out of mine. 40ltrs will not get me too many laps...

plohl
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby plohl » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:24 pm

All the e85 mx5 race cars have an extra fuel tank in the boot.

Got a link to rules or aomething?
Cheers,
plohl

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:51 am

Just in case you missed the recent Track Day at Morgan Park with SDT...

The car was rock solid electrically at WTAC and with the exception of the gearbox/diff choice it went 'well'. However at Morgan Park things did not go so well...

Prior to going I updated the dash config file, however it was an old file and going out on track the car sounded like a rotary and not accelerating cleanly. Why, well in the Smartwire the coils are separated into 2 outputs. I did not check and one of the outputs was set to 'flash' at 0.1 seconds. This caused voltage to be turned on/off to a set of coils.

One problem solved, thanks to SDT lending me their laptop! Then there was another electrical issue that caused a complete shutdown. Turned out to be the cable that plugs the keypads into the Smartwire came out. It could have been because it was never in properly in the first place, but WTF!

[img]https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/p720x720/75204458_1183515708702893_4220181160778530816_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_oc=AQnNypOhPa3lcyx6GCAJ6bLvkWbqz2iAGLbhhN8b8chBPG91FO5-xI1LIycM7hS8E7s&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=c1355bf77569df72909761f4bdee9d47&oe=5E43EEB5
[/img]

One thing the Smartwire does is log current draw, for example the 2 x SPAL fans when they kick in draw 54.5 amps for 0.5 seconds, then settle down to about 15 amps.

Despite the issues the 6 speed and 4.78 is an interesting combo. The wind on the day was from the SW and strong, sound like an excuse but I was about 1.5 seconds off my PB pace. I lost time through T1-T2 and the S's which normally I am 'quick' through. The lack of seat time and confidence may have been the issue for the day.

Next SDT days at Morgan Park are in August and November next year :(

Custardtart
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Custardtart » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:08 pm

Wind makes a massive difference, I could easily imagine losing 1sec down a straight due to strong headwinds.
NC1 - 2.5 opposite lock device
Lakeside 62.3

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:13 pm

With dodgy day this weekend my car will be spared the spanners, at least on Saturday!

Had another reliability issue show its head when at QR last weekend. The feed pump decided to stop making pressure, the cause was it reduced its amp draw. Why it did this is the question...

Decided to finally install the Injector Dynamics IDF750 filter as well as relocate the surge tank so it is vertical.

The lift pump (Walbro 255), which now draws about 2.5 amp also had its filter sock replaced. Whilst it is remote, the lift pump may not have been able to keep the surge tank supplied, hence the reduced amp draw could have been cavitation of the feed pump. Having the surge tank on an angle also would have reduced the amount of available fuel in the surge tank as well.

The replaced filter sock

Plan is to install some heat shielding on the exhaust under the fuel tank, maybe it was a combination of heat and clogged filter? My 'issue' is that this problem has not surfaced before, well not as often and as severe. The joys of owning a race car :(

Also, installed the old bonnet on the car to test the intake temps.

And if you have gotten all the way to the end of this post and able to come to QR on 15/12/19 between 1300 and 1700 there is a sponsor thank you day and I'll be taking people out for laps! If you want more details post a question or send a PM.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:37 am

A few small updates.

Oil sample taken, second in this long term test of the Takumi 10W-40 Extreme Oil. Data suggests that it is not suffering oil pressure drop on lift off as was the 5W-40 oil. The main straight of SMSP, the gear changes show less oil pressure loss in 2019 (10W-40 Extreme) than in 2018 (5W-40)!

When changing gearbox oil, a piece of the upper wave spring 'fell' out with the oil. Part identified by Beavis!

Concept #2 for the air intake. Comments have been made that a NACA duct maybe better.

Thoughts for concept #3 for air intake. I may send the car away to get this made up as it will make use of the recessed light and potentially 'ram' air in.

Changed the layout of the 'stuff' under the passenger's seat to try and reduce the temps

Added a K type temp sensor to monitor the temp of the PS1000. This will be logged by the CL-1
Image|

The CL-1 will log it as the Exhaust temp

Relocated the steering angle sensor

Played with some dimple dies, lots of potential in the car to use these...

Trying to make 1 good 6 speed from 2. Whilst both have the same size bush, it appears that they are 'different' based on the main shaft.

Found this in the shed, maybe time to see if the data can be logged from it, manual says it can...

PaulF
Racing Driver

Postby PaulF » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:08 pm

Magpie wrote:Found this in the shed, maybe time to see if the data can be logged from it, manual says it can...

From my (admittedly brief) Googling, it sounds like it's just some load cells you mount under the wing mounts. Couldn't you just run some load cells straight into your main datalogger?

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:33 pm

PaulF wrote:From my (admittedly brief) Googling, it sounds like it's just some load cells you mount under the wing mounts. Couldn't you just run some load cells straight into your main datalogger?
Yes they are simple load cells. If I can get the wiring sorted I can simply use the signal from them, no need to buy more load cells.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:15 pm

The AFR lean spike investigation continues.... Thanks to plohl for the telephone support on this issue!

Data showing the AFR lean spike and the TPS value. Note TPS is logged at 20hz as this is the limitation of the Haltech CAN. Photo from the session shows the AFR lean spike happening coming out of T6 despite the even throttle (green trace), the lean spike (red trace) continued to develop. After the change from 4 to 5 (blue trace).

As mentioned, Shane helped out on Saturday and Sunday with advice, starting with checking the timing and locking the ECU at 10°. Whilst not getting to lock the ECU at 10°, I was able to get the timing light to work.

Before locking at 10° I started to upload a few changes to the Racepak IQ3 dash and logging changes to the Haltech PS1000.

A test of the new dash settings showed very strange behavior with the TPS under certain conditions. When the accelerator is pushed quickly to 100% it was fine, but put too much pressure on the pedal and it started to get very 'noisy'. Hmmm could this be the cause of the issue?

The car is tuned from the TPS sensor hence if this data is 'noisy' the car will try and quickly change fuel/timing based upon the relevant table (thanks Shane for explaining this).

What the ECU saw... If the pedal is pushed quickly no issue, but slow and steady causes the 'noise'.

Zoomed in of what the TPS is 'seeing' hence with the ECU is matching fuel/timing to...

Long story short, a stop was put in (24mm) to stop the pedal traveling too far and avoiding the 'noisy' part of the TPS. Still need to confirm that the ITB's are opening all the way, but most of the 24mm of previous travel was bending the pedal assembly (amongst other things).

The sensor was then re-calibrated and tested...

Is the problem fixed, no idea until next track day. More than likely the ITB's will need to be rebuilt, the TPS replaced, new throttle cable installed, pedal box and a new tune. Then it will be on to the next issue...

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:01 am

Throttle pedal stop resolved the lean spike, now for the next problem to show itself....

No PB on the national, however considering the conditions its looks promising for winter!

From recent track day http://www.mtrimages.com

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”