Okibi's SE

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Re: Okibi's SE

Postby The American » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:18 pm

Great vids!

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:00 pm

28280138_10155452400324010_1927464381830411194_n.jpg

So i've been pretty lazy with updates, mostly because i've been saving for a holiday, had loads of job uncertainty and the car has been working fantastic as is.

I'd always love more power but I can't afford the mods and the risk of breaking gear boxes.

I ponder if I should make the engine stronger, run it with the current setup while it breaks in before a better turbo .. OR .. put a better turbo on the stock engine (it's still under 50,000 kms) and try not to blow it up until I can afford to build the engine.

I was very very lucky to win my class of our club motorsport, I think it was all decided by .3 of a second, this trophy could have just as easily have gone to Warwick Gates or Rod Willis, i'd have been happy if it was a tie.

27867863_10155428890699010_9080387707315866924_n.jpg

So it's another year and another round of motorsport so new tyres ..

30629242_10155564197774010_358463192007963965_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:31 pm

Okibi wrote:I'd always love more power but I can't afford the mods and the risk of breaking gear boxes.

I ponder if I should make the engine stronger, run it with the current setup while it breaks in before a better turbo .. OR .. put a better turbo on the stock engine (it's still under 50,000 kms) and try not to blow it up until I can afford to build the engine.

I can only say off my own experience Dave, but with a <50,000k motor I’d go with building the engine before anything else once the funds allow. Mine was done at 77,000k and engineer Ben commented on how easily it was to work on such a low k’s motor with none of the usual hidden problems a +100,000k motor presents, saving $$$ on the unexpected. Tuner Matty could not believe the engine didn’t blow considering the hell it went through (running way to lean and pinging like mad) prior to the right computer and tune set up was done after the build. Theres a lot of piece of mind with a built motor.
+1 for the new tyres! (FYI, the box in mine is still going strong)

Here’s hoping things are sorted for you work wise. :beer:
StanTheMan wrote:sweet, Its not all about huge hp.

viewtopic.php?t=73496

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:41 am

The last track event I had issues going into 3rd under hard brakes, I still have the SE engine and diff mounts.

I decided to buy one of Brendans engine dampers as an easy mod that might help stop the engine moving around.

I've tried mounting it using the stock brace instead of the supplied engine and shock mounts. I might still use them as they're both nice and strong. It will probably get a coat of black paint.

34777274_10155690116834010_4623484980784267264_n.jpg

Last weeks event was held during plenty of rain showers so the course was very slippery, I don't think the conditions and shifts were enough to tell if the damper was effective.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:23 am

^^ looks like awesome fun! Your turn around the hair pin was very nicely done. Was Warwick behind this layout? Big regret not going to Jacks Hill before leaving WA, and miss showing up for driver’s briefing and one of Warwick’s red wine specials.

My gear stick still moves around with poly engine and diff mounts, but it is much reduced. I still miss shifts into third, but it is much less frequent.

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:10 pm

Yeah our motorsport season is loads of fun and crazy cheap, while it wouldn't be possible without many people pitching in I think Waz can take full credit for securing the venues at such a cheap rate.

He's so passionate about getting club members the maximum track time for our dollar but even if we had half the track time it would still be great value compared to other events available.

Waz created the layout but to fit within certain motorsport permits I think we have to reduce the length of any straights to keep car speeds down, having limited power I'm quiet happy with that.

We have a club member Adam who brings his drone along to events and kindly shares both his drone footage and bumper mounted gopro footage with me.

I try and edit them into interesting videos but it's difficult with only 1 "in car" because the footage is pretty meh without engine sound. I try and include every smooth piece of drone footage into each clip but I seem to think some people assume because the drone was in the air there must be footage of their own car i've chosen not to include. Drone has to be pointing at your car AND recording for there to be any.

That same hill climb the weather was rubbish so difficult to get much drone footage anyway. So here's that same run with Adam's footage mixed in.

here's one of the night sprints

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:16 pm

The drone footage and mixing it in with the in-car makes it more interesting to watch and gives a much better sense of the location.

Local Motorsport is made excellent by people like Waz and the rest of the crew who run the WA club.

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:59 am

Ran out of talent

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:31 am

gled et wurk’t bru! Thet send d’d et’s job. Much bitter th’n gitt’ng to the fince.

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:56 pm

Hasn't been many updates. Life has been crazy busy.

Had second last round of motorsport at the SpeedDome, thought the tires were good for 1 more dry event .. I started out fast but continued to struggle for grip.

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:13 pm

Wowsers! That’s definitely all used up!

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:01 pm

Due to a shortage of funds i'm skipping this next season of motorsport.

I got offered a chance to help with some instructing and get some free cone time as a bonus.

First time out I put the SE under a fence and into a pole. :oops: Felt like a right wanker as I was meant to be helping others with their car control.

Thank you to those kind people who have offered parts and Rod for being an absolute legend as always. Apart from replacing a door and the side mirror glass its cosmetic so I have to consider myself lucky. Any money saved by not buying motorsport tyres will have to go into the repair.

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:03 pm

:( just some cosmetics, she can be fixed!
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:07 am

Ohhhh seriously?
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:30 am

That sucks. We all mess up from time to time. I'm glad to hear she lives though.

It's not your only car, right? So you can take your time with the repairs as funds and time allow, and you'll be back to it before you know it.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”