BEAVIS' White Track Car

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

16bit
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A - Supercharged

Re: BEAVIS' White Track Car

Postby 16bit » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:57 am

ManiacLachy wrote:Why 9.5:1 pistons? If you're running E85 full time wouldn't higher comp be better? And if not, I was under the impression that the timing you can run on 98 at 8.6:1 beats out the gains in compression. Other than that, you're running all the goodies I want to go in my engine one day!

Glad it's all coming together, and I really liked your close to one of your recent videos where you thanked your Dad, top bloke!

i had questions about this too.

i am wanting to run 10.5 or 11:1 with E85 and a rotrex.

i have done some reading on people from the states on turbo motors and high compression for e85 applications arguing that the bp motor makes its power from correct manipulation and control of timing instead of just adding compression and boost and high knock resistant fuel.

interested to hear Beavis' thoughts on it.
98 evo gold - rotrexed and loving it.

This post has been printed using recycled pixels

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:57 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:Why 9.5:1 pistons?

My theory was fairly simple. 9.5:1 means I can still safely run boost on 98 for those times when E85 is hard to come by. I considered 11:1, but I felt the 9.5:1 was the more 'flexible' choice. Is it best for all out power? Nope. But I'm going to have more than enough oompf to break drive-line components as it is.

ManiacLachy wrote:I really liked your close to one of your recent videos where you thanked your Dad, top bloke!

Actually I suspect he hasn't seen the video yet. He isn't much of an internet person.

bruce wrote:Those bananas aren't $1.50 per kilo.

Well, in their current state, I actually think I'd struggle to sell them at that price!
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:01 pm

CLEAN UP THE BLOCK, ADD NEW FORGED BITS
The block was dropped off to be cleaned up and was prepared to meet it's new forged friends.
The engine re-conditioners also checked/balanced all the gear and then assembled the pistons and rods and threw them in the block for me.
Before committing to the work, I had a chat to the guys about the car, it's intended use, and what I thought was needed for the engine. They were quite receptive to the task at hand, respectably priced, and were a pleasure to deal with.
If you're near me and need engine work, I can highly recommend BnB Engines in Clayton.
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:02 am

VALVE SPRING UPGRADE
While the engine block was away, we kept ourselves busy installing the Supertech Dual valve springs.
First time I'd had the cams out of the head for this car, thankfully it again all looked quite nice and the process was fairly trouble free.
Slightly frustratingly, one of the titanium retainers was a mismatch from the rest of the set - must have just been a mis-pack in manufacturing. Trackspeed arranged a replacement sent directly from Supertech which arrived within a couple of weeks.

And, naturally, here's a video of the install process, somewhat of a guide but don't take my word for it, seek professional advice:

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:45 am

Nice work.

yeah, BNB are great, used them for our Kingswood engine after it ate a timing gear, then ate the cam bearing, then a piston skirt, etc.

Great guys, and pricing really good.

They do a heap of race motors for MGBs too.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:19 pm

ENGINE REASSEMBLY BEGINS
Once the block was ready, Beavis senior and I booked ourselves out for a weekend, and got to work on the re-assembly.
All went fairly well, as it's mostly just reinstalling OEM Mazda parts. There were the odd little hurdles and gotchas. Such as the need to clearance the windage tray slightly to fit the larger ARP main studs, and the general tense moment that is gluing the oil pan back to the block.
I also took the opportunity to utilise the Madjak sump baffle template and cut out some sheet aluminium to hopefully aid in maintaining oil pressure under high-g braking.

Here is the montage cut together of the Engine in the rebuild phase:

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Postby NitroDann » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:29 pm

For a dual fuel setup id do 9 or 9.5, for dedicated E85 I -start- at 11:1.

We have 12:1+ setups running 30psi and doing 260+ down Eastern Creek front straight without a hiccup.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:39 pm

Did someone say "montage":

(couldn't help myself, that's what I always think of when I hear that word)
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:23 am

Lokiel wrote:Did someone say "montage":
https://youtu.be/8I_5Bw1U4s4

(couldn't help myself, that's what I always think of when I hear that word)

Haha, Team America is certainly a frequent viewing choice in our household. Something tells me you and I are are not too dissimilar. :NB8B:

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:23 pm

ENGINE BACK IN THE CAR
By the end of the second day, the engine was back in the bay.
And then a couple of evenings after work later I had all the engines 'appendages' back together with all the various plumbing all sorted.
This meant essentially everything was almost ready for that 'first-start' moment.

The video of the completing the engine reassebmly and install into the car:

StuwieP
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StuwieP » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:27 pm

awesome news bud
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:13 pm

TIME TO FIRE IT UP
Suffice to say, this was a strenuous and tense moment. Firing up the 'new' engine for the first time.
It all went about as well as we could've asked. As suggested by my Dad, we pulled the spark plugs and spun the motor over for a while to build oil pressure. Then, with the plugs back in, the car started up almost instantly and ran like a dream.
Literally the most thrilling moment you could ever ask for. It really sounded so smooth, and of course that was on the old tune....

The video of that thrilling first start:

Which neatly takes me onto the next step in the process. Dyno time! But more on that to come soon, for now I'll leave you with this picture:

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:16 am

Another stressful time coming up, new engine on a dyno. What engine oil is in it for this? Just how do you run in a race engine?

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:37 pm

Red_Bullet wrote:What engine oil is in it for this? Just how do you run in a race engine?

It has Penrite Mineral Run-In oil in it currently.

I asked the guys who cleaned up the block what their recommend run in process was - best to lean on the experience of those who know what they're doing! Their suggestion was to run up the car on the dyno for some varied loads to start, get the thing bed in, and then drop the oil.
Then, it needs a couple of test/track days building up the pace. Don't go full chat right out the box. Again, flush of oil inbetween.
Progressively I can then move to a semi synth, and eventually back to the normal full synthetic oil I'd use.

All seems fairly logical.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:20 pm

Ok, sounds fairly logical as you say. You end up with it run in and on the race quality synthetic. Then back to the dyno to chase the final few killer wasps?

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”