BEAVIS' White Track Car

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Re: BEAVIS' White Track Car

Postby beavis » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:07 pm

There would be no pressing need to go back for a touch up to the tune, and I'm sure it'll be making more power than I want the gearbox to handle, so I think I'll just drive it for a while and get used to things, and reconsider the power level in 12 months or so.
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

Daffy
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Daffy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:35 am

beavis wrote:There would be no pressing need to go back for a touch up to the tune, and I'm sure it'll be making more power than I want the gearbox to handle, so I think I'll just drive it for a while and get used to things, and reconsider the power level in 12 months or so.

When that time gets closer and should you happen to be up around my way, your welcome to test out the Problem Child’s driveline set up :DIY:
StanTheMan wrote:sweet, Its not all about huge hp.

viewtopic.php?t=73496

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:57 pm

That is very kind. We shall see what happens with the current power target I guess.

And, I do hope that your current drivetrain challenges are overcome very soon!
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

rossint
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby rossint » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:54 pm

I ran mine in on the Dyno with Penrite runin as well. Dropped that and put more runin oil in and drove it around the street for a bit, put load on the motor with lots of coast downs to make sure the rings were fully bedded in. From there I put in ULX110 which is mineral and did a couple of track days. I’ve just dropped that and have my first lot of synthetic in it. So far so good.

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:17 pm

Good to hear you are running similar processes, thanks rossint.

I've now gone through 2 jugs of Penrite Run-in, this ended up being the process so far:
Essentially, I filled the car with Penrite Run-in for it's first startup.
After a first session of a couple hours dyno time, dumped the oil, and replaced with more Penrite Run-in.
After a couple more hours of dyno, dumped that oil.
Then added what was left of the run-in in the jug that I had, approx 1.5L, and about 2.5L of my usual synthetic.
I'll do a bit of a dial-in track day on this 'semi' blend, then flush everything and move over to the full synth stuff.

shirtz
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby shirtz » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:29 pm

beavis wrote:Good to hear you are running similar processes, thanks rossint.

I've now gone through 2 jugs of Penrite Run-in, this ended up being the process so far:
Essentially, I filled the car with Penrite Run-in for it's first startup.
After a first session of a couple hours dyno time, dumped the oil, and replaced with more Penrite Run-in.
After a couple more hours of dyno, dumped that oil.
Then added what was left of the run-in in the jug that I had, approx 1.5L, and about 2.5L of my usual synthetic.
I'll do a bit of a dial-in track day on this 'semi' blend, then flush everything and move over to the full synth stuff.

do you do the filter while dropping so much oil?

watching all the altest vids are on my to do list this weekend :beer:

rossint
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby rossint » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:12 pm

Definitely. That’s where most of the stuff you don’t want in your motor ends up.

MrTurkey
Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby MrTurkey » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:22 pm

When is the White car back on track matey?

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:58 pm

Well kinda good news, have had the car out for one test day at Phillip Island. It was a bit of an adventure but overall I can call it a success.
Still taking the time to go at things slowly and not try not to break anything. So with some help from engine management genius Alex, we added some safetys to the ECU, got the car all setup, and started to put some laps in.

In general, the car drives perfect, it's sitting at nice happy oil/coolant temps, and pulls pretty well with the circa 220rkwk/300rwhp.
We fettled with trying to get the electric water pump to be more efficient and responsive to coolant temps to try achieve target in the mid 80's, said fettling came with some pros and cons but in the end I think it's working pretty well now.
I did hit AFR safety cut a few times which can be concerning. Reviewing logs it may be a result of an alternator cutout setting in the ECU resulting in voltage drop, fixed now, we hope, but it'll need another track day to confirm.
And, I am really not enjoying gear changes at all, this 6spd is fairly fresh, but it felt really difficult to use and hard to find the right gear. I'm going to see if I can try a different trans fluid in the hope it may help.

Somewhere along the way I also managed to find the time to redesign the dash again before the track day, made the dash more usable/functional and with again some Lambo inspiration.

The bad news, only had the car out for the one track day so far :-(
Just been busy / otherwise occupied with things and haven't had a chance to get back out. I really need to find a quiet test day to put in a lot of laps and dial everything in, it's hard to do that on a typical busy sprint day, so I think a Friday at Winton is in order.

Video from the day nonetheless:

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:30 pm

On the upside, I do have some good excuses for why I haven't had the NB out and about.

For one, we had a great day of fun in both the BEAVIS NA's at Haunted Hills. The red car has more grip, the white car has more power. Ending in somewhat similar laptimes. Both cars run Hawk HP+ brake pads, which performed perfectly. However the red car desperately needs some real shocks, the original stuff from 20 years ago is not doing the car justice.

Secondly, I foolishly spent a day in ankle deep rain supporting the local MX-5 car club skidpan driver skills day. It was actually really great fun, and I wish I'd brought my car along to have a proper go.... but I instead had a great time just helping others in practicing skills in a safe environment. Hopefully next time we'll have a little less rain pouring down.

A video of the Haunted Hills track day for your interest:

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Mon May 13, 2019 10:35 pm

Well it has been a while since I've been to Winton.
But, finally got back there over the weekend (well, Friday actually) for a test in the Turbo NB. Despite some pretty soggy weather, I am generally quite happy with where the car got to by the end of the day and how the car performed in terms of consistency and reliability.

It's come a long way, have spent a lot of time on building this little fella, it feels good to drive it again. My utmost thanks to Alex for his assistance on the day and his electrical/ECU/etc expertise, the car is running near flawless and it is largely to his credit.
Still more time to improve as always, some slightly damp spots on track and I need to improve brake cooling.

Nonetheless, got a nice 1:32.3 lap in video:

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue May 14, 2019 7:50 am

Good to see the car up and running! The build has taken a while, but at least it's given you plenty of content for your channel :mrgreen:

Any thoughts on that fancy new sway bar? That was some serious kit! And what are your thoughts on the Gen2 GTX2860?

The Zork
Fast Driver

Postby The Zork » Tue May 14, 2019 9:25 am

beavis wrote:
And, I am really not enjoying gear changes at all, this 6spd is fairly fresh, but it felt really difficult to use and hard to find the right gear. I'm going to see if I can try a different trans fluid in the hope it may help.

Do you run a transmission oil cooling system?
We are getting some pretty high transmission temperatures in the Civic with similar problems using the best fluids. Oxidising trans and clutch fluid within 2 to 3 laps. Working now on a cooler, pump, filter and ecu control setup hopefully done before the 3rd round of the Vic championships at Winton in June.

Any advice on this from the Brain's Trust?

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Tue May 14, 2019 11:39 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:Any thoughts on that fancy new sway bar? That was some serious kit! And what are your thoughts on the Gen2 GTX2860?

Car felt sharp, but then it always has with the way it's setup. I guess the positive so far, is that the bar is working, and doesn't feel unusual.
The complete lack of bushing bind is fantastic. I'll start to play with the bar setup/stiffness when I get a little more settled with the car as is.

The turbo setup is great, pretty punchy but nothing insane or scary. It makes a nice whistle when you shut the car off too :-P

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Tue May 14, 2019 11:50 pm

The Zork wrote:Do you run a transmission oil cooling system?

Not yet.
I have changed to Fuchs trans oil for now and it seemed to like the 6spd and improved shift feel compared to my last time on track at Phillip Island where the box felt rough, so I'll stick with that for a little while and see how it goes.
Penrite also have a new 75-90 GL4 that i'll try next time.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”