Swile's SE

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Swile
Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Swile's SE

Postby Swile » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:23 am

Hi everyone,

Figure its about time I came on here and introduced myself and my new baby. Some of you might recognize her as boyracers one he just recently sold. After a nice 5hr drive up the putty back to my place in Tamworth I knew id made the right choice. The other alternative was a evo 7, end of the day the evo might be quicker but the whole experience of this SE has me hooked. It certainly raises a few eyebrows around here amongst the ute drivers with their "its a hairdressers car" attitudes, and that's how I like it.

So far I have taken it for a cruise to port with my friends in there Honda's and even had my first go on a track (oakburn, the local go kart track). Looking forward to a go at wakefield on the labour day long weekend.
Anyways im keen to become active in club, having already been on a few weekends away organised by kountry kuzin? (Aka stephen) i know how much fun you guys and girls have. I will try to attach some photos off my phone, if it doesn't work I'll upload them later from my pc.

Swile
F-Bomb 194rwkw built motor SE - Garrett, Megasquirt and Nitro Dann Power!

MadMikey
Fast Driver

Re: Swile's SE

Postby MadMikey » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:47 am

Welcome to the forum, any big plans for the 5?
Don't forget to post in the SE owners list thread!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=41980

MINX
Racing Driver

Postby MINX » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:36 am

Welcome Aaron
Great to see you made the right choice :D
Lakeside 1:02.94 Clubman 1:04.61 Sprint 1:00.81 Sportsman 1:04.27 National 1:28.36 WP 1:15.45 MtCotton 0:51.13 Symmons 1:12.2 Baskerville 1:08

twinlol
Driver

Postby twinlol » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:21 am

Hey mate I'm a Tamworth guy myself, living in Armidale atm (1hr up the road)
Hope to see you around, PM me if you have any questions, its nice to know some people around the area as there isn't a great deal of us out this way.

davekmoore
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby davekmoore » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:51 am

Welcome.

Make yourself a note now that if you every want advice on modifying your SE, ignore everything I say.
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

ASE05
Racing Driver

Postby ASE05 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:38 am

Thread is useless without pics!

:lol:
Sing that song, puff all night long.......

Garry
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Garry » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:07 pm

Welcome aboard Swile :mrgreen:
Shiney black one with added red bits. Member of the fart club. Now with extra doof and Sunlong. - deceased and gone to heaven

Swile
Driver

Postby Swile » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:22 pm

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/oddly-mitch/9531850806/]Image[/url
MX5 SE by Oddly Mitch!, on Flickr

Swile
Driver

Postby Swile » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:27 pm

Hi guys sorry for the slow reply. Unfortunately I had the engine let go in a rather spectacular fashion so for a bit I lost motivation in all things mx5. That added with my inability to figure out how to do things on my phone meant I didnt get a chance to put these up earlier. Those are pics from a come and try day at the local go cart circuit.

Swile
Driver

Postby Swile » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:54 pm

20130803_162353 by Swile14, on Flickr
My new se meeting my daily Fiesta for the first time on the putty.

20130828_212506 by Swile14, on Flickr
Bath time

20130810_165331 by Swile14, on Flickr
Some friendly rivalry :)

20130831_164610 by Swile14, on Flickr
This is where the story is paused. ... For now, my replacement Block is in the back of a van in my drive way after a big day of driving to collect it

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:04 am

Sorry to hear you're another member of the exploded SE fraternity. What happened, and what are you planning to do with the bottom end etc?
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:05 am

Bummer, how much boost was she running? :(
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Swile
Driver

Postby Swile » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:09 pm

I was driving up a hill in the wet and gave it some in first with a bit of wheelspin, changed to second and fed it on to limit wheelspin but once the turbo came on song it just spun up again so I went to cruise in third. Before I backed off and got on the clutch it just let go. Left a trail of all my oil up the hill. It was setup so that it wound up to 15psi at higher rpm.

I filled up at a servo I have never been to before, while probably had no part in this still bothers me. The tune wasn't the greatest (too rich) with some annoying drivablity issues. I had planned on having it redone By someone who I know and trust. Looks like they will be tuning a running in built motor with forged internals now lol.

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:41 pm

Things that might have contributed:

Your 15psi on a standard bottom end.
Too weak a mixture.
Dodgy fuel and/or a lower octane than you thought you'd paid for.
A blocked injector (leaning out a cylinder).
Engine management that's not clever enough to pull timing to recognise detonation etc.

Unusual for 15psi to do that on a road car which is rarely used at WOT for more than a few percent of the time so you've been unlucky, whereas mine blew on the track on a hot day and with all of the factors above in play, so mine was inevitable.

If it's of any help, I happen to know the whereabouts of a mega-spec built motor complete with Garrett turbo and everything else needed to convert the weak IHI setup to Garrett. PM me for more info.

Swile
Driver

Postby Swile » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:22 pm

Sorry I have been pretty slack with the updates, but that's probably because my build feels like it's going in slow motion lol. I could only do bits as finances allowed for them but from here progress should speed up. I'll be looking to cover all the things mentioned here as possible factors towards the failure (drain the fuel, dyno tune etc)

So the engine was removed and sent to the machining shop. I gave them the dead engine, the replacement block and some forged goodies for Internals. It's all back and wrapped up like a late Christmas present. I'm not allowed to unwrap it until I have the oil pump, Timing belt kit, water pump and clutch which will be ordered this week. I did get a sneaky half assembled pic of it mid way threw the build as a teaser by the guy building it.

While we had the car on the hoist we lifted the suspension up to a more drivable height (considering local roads). I also found a possible boost leak and painted the intercooler satin black.

Pics to come lol

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”