Selene - Nev's NB SE

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Selene - Nev's NB SE

Postby Nevyn72 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:50 am

Hi all, I just picked up my Titanium NB SE yesterday and would like to start off by saying that this is all the fault of those three reprobates from Brisbane, Crapweasel, Minx & Lokiel. Looking at their three beautiful examples made me seriously fall in love with this car.....

So as a result they are now officially responsible for any issues, hardships, frustrations, headaches or other non-specific malaises that I may subsequently encounter over the coming months and years and will be hearing from my legal representatives for suitable compensationary measures. Okibi is also attached as a subsidiary defendant for facilitating this situation by the medium of this outstanding forum.

Sheesh, to think two weeks ago I was seriously lusting after a Subaru BRZ but now find a stunning MX5 sitting in the garage (which wasn't even on the radar at the time!).

There will also be a subsidiary medical claim for strained facial muscles as I had a foolish grin the whole way back to my place, an hour and a half drive, on Sydney roads, in Sydney traffic. Hmmm, if this is typical I may end up being hospitalised after a decent drive on twisty country roads.....

Ok, now the legal matters are dealt with, on with the car! :)

It's a Feb build 2004 Titanium Grey NB SE, but you probably guessed that already.
It's completely stock with a bee's willy over 100K on the clock and overall quite good condition. Here's a few shots I took after getting home and giving her a light bath and clean.

Now this will be purely a toy as I've got a 2002 Mazda Astina for my daily driver.
I really hope the two of them get along but judging from their first meeting I think there may end up being some serious sibling rivalry..... :(

Oh well, time will tell.....

Anyway, after giving her a bath, I spent some time really looking around for issues in the overall condition and am still pleasantly surprised by just how good it is for a 10 year old car with 100K on the clock. It's far from perfect, but that's to be expected, esspecially for the excellent price I was able to get her for!
(a distressed seller, well actually not initially, but she was somewhat by the time I had finished my negotiations.....)

Some of the interior leather is a bit tired, and there's the anticipated collection of stone chips and light scratches.
Fortunately all the panels are straight and ding free with the only real body damage on the front and back bumpers, here's some pics.

Rear

Bugger, only 5 attachments allowed, ok down one post! :p
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

Nevyn72
Speed Racer

Re: Nev's NB SE

Postby Nevyn72 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:12 am

...... and the ding (more of a gouge) on the front.

Fortunately I have some Titanium grey touch up paint that I got with the Astina 11 years ago when I bought it.
So as an interim measure I just painted over the exposed black plastic on the front bumper to make it less visible..... :)

Unfortunately this caused some friction between the siblings with me pinching the Astina's makeup.
I think she's a bit jealous of her sexier, younger sister....... *Sigh*

I will also have to do something about the corrosion on the roof latches.

Do you think I would be best of removing, cleaning, sanding and repainting these, or just replacing them completely?

So where to from hear?
I plan on taking my time, this is supposed to be fun, long term project after all.... and I don't plan on going quite as overboard and say, ummm..... Lokiel. :p

First off will be the 100K service, including timing belt and water pump as a matter of urgency. I still cant believe the previous owner left it 10 years with out replacing the timing belt!
Once that's done I'll probably go for some nice new license plates and some of those clear side reflectors and side blinkers, where do you get them from anyway?

After that, I just want spend some time getting to know the girl but on the longer term timeline there's going to be;
- power upgrade (not too much, want to retain the current factory drivability), say targeting ~ 130rwkw
- dress up the interior a bit
- fix bodywork faults
- chrome twin-loop rollbar (not a stylebar!)
- some suspension work (but retain close to factory as I have driveway issues)

I don't plan to ever track this car, but never say never, so the rollbar will be cams approved.

Wheels I hear you ask?
Don't ask...... I really like the factory units but two of them have quite bad gutter rash, the other two only slight but still there.... *Sigh*
Can you still get these wheels new? For a semi reasonable price?

So there you have it, I've started my journey, I look forward to meeting some of you along the way!

Cheers,
Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

shuey
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby shuey » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:18 am

.. nice looking ride. welcome to the obsession, you're never getting out of it :mrgreen:
2001 Sunlight Silver NB8B - SOLD - 23/6/16 :frown:

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:18 am

Congratulations on the new car - you got the best colour too :P

Looking forward to see you "making it your own".

PS: That grin you get when you drive it never goes away, it does get worse through "the twisty stuff" though.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

davekmoore
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby davekmoore » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:34 am

Congrats
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

monty007
Fast Driver

Postby monty007 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:58 am

Welcome 8) another SE...good times.
2004 SE

Snowmotion
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Snowmotion » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:43 pm

Just sand and reprint the roof latches. I did mine in satin black and they came out really well.
NB8A| WP 1:15.6 | SMP-S 1:08.56 | SMP-N 1:21.35
NC1| WP 1:09.42 | SMP-S 1:03.191 | SMP-N 1:16.1856 | SMP-GP 1:48.288

chops
Fast Driver

Postby chops » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:49 pm

right car, right colour well done!

I have got an exhaust, intercooler and intake from my old setup for cheap which would get you to the 130kw mark easily

Nevyn72
Speed Racer

Postby Nevyn72 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:58 pm

chops wrote:right car, right colour well done!

I have got an exhaust, intercooler and intake from my old setup for cheap which would get you to the 130kw mark easily

I'm listening......

Whereabouts are you located chops?

Nevyn72
Speed Racer

Postby Nevyn72 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:06 pm

Snowmotion wrote:Just sand and reprint the roof latches. I did mine in satin black and they came out really well.

Looking online, @ ~$130-$150 new for each side, it's a bit of a no-brainer!

chops
Fast Driver

Postby chops » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:32 pm

PM sent

AntHarmer
Fast Driver
Vehicle: 10AE

Postby AntHarmer » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:39 pm

Hey Nev. welcome and congrats on the car. She's a beauty. The SE wheels are available from mx 5parts.co.uk at the moment for like $800 a set delivered to Aus. Not sure if they are the exact ones from your year model though but worth a look. Even cheaper though, there are wheel guys who will come round and repair your wheels and give them a fresh coat of aping for ~$80 a corner. Welcome again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:45 pm

Snowmotion wrote:Just sand and reprint the roof latches. I did mine in satin black and they came out really well.

+1 (assuming Snowmotion meant "repaint"), spray paint is cheap - just remember to do lots of light coats and not be tempted to spray on a thick coat to speed things up.

As for the rims, I'd suggest you live with them until you can upgrade to 15" rims.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

speed freak
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby speed freak » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:56 pm

Welcome to the forum! Beautiful SE too looks fantastic.

With those clear side reflectors and side indicators, MX5 Mania sell them :) Iv got those in the post on there way to me as I type this haha

Nevyn72
Speed Racer

Postby Nevyn72 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:35 pm

Lokiel wrote:As for the rims, I'd suggest you live with them until you can upgrade to 15" rims.

Don't start that!!...... *Sigh*

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”