Mx5, Chapter 2

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Mx5, Chapter 2

Postby The American » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:01 pm

I first got the mx5 bug in mid 2011 when trying to convince some else that an mx5 might be more fun than a much more expensive track car they were considering. Got me thinking!

I'd always wanted to try my hand at competitive driving, and that conversation prompted a quick google which in turn, turned up the web page for the Mx5 Club of Western Australia, complete with a healthy Motorsport calendar. I fired off an email to the contact and got a swift response from Don, from the Motorsport dept. Yes, I could join, yes I could enter events cheaply and easily - I just needed to become an mx5 owner!

Within a few weeks, I'd looked at one or two cars, including a tidy NA6 owned by a club member who was selling and heading overseas. It was running and registered but did not quite fit my budget. I eventually found a red NA8 languishing under a tarp in a back yard, next to the carcass of a v8 Toyota Soarer that the then owner had planned to use for a transplant to the mx5. Such an exciting combination. So difficult to register! He'd bought the car at auction with hail damage, some time later I found in the car a KFC managers badge for 'Rebecca', who I assume was the cars last real owner.

The owner could not start the little red NA8 and was convinced it was so something minor as it had started last time he'd tried. I pointed out that the fumes wafting from the air box probably meant a significant engine timing issue. I left him with the car and went home to google more.

Mr google told me that Mr Mazda in his wisdom had built mx5s with non-interference valve trains, so what I thought was terminal, now seemed eminently fixable. Armed with this knowledge I returned to see the car again, bargained, and was soon the owner of a non-runner Mx5.

The short version: it was the timing belt, done in by a leaking water pump. Both of those fixed saw the car running like a dream.

I got it registered the Friday before my first club event: a Funkhana run by the WA Mx5 Club. The night before, the club ran a competition driving theory for event participants. It was a perfect introduction to grass roots Motorsport. The Funkhana was incredible. More adrenalin and ear to ear smiles than I don't know what.

TBC

The American
Forum Guru

Re: Mx5, Chapter 2

Postby The American » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:25 pm

The little red NA8 had stock suspension (actually, everything was stock, except for the pioneer stereo with no face) and nearly 8 year old tires. Consequently, it rolled, wallowed, squealed and slid... Rather wildly.

In the interests of cheap, I decided not to do anything to the car until I'd had more time to get to know it. This intention was undone at the beginning of the second event (Dec 11) when the old brown (telltale brown, as I know now!) radiator top tank let go. Disappointed, we limped home and left on our Christmas camping holiday a little early. Terry from the WA club ordered a new alloy radiator online for me and it was waiting at his house when came home from Christmas (just one of many helpful friendly things we experienced at the hands of the WA club).

After one or two more events of us, sliding and skidding wildly, Warwick took our car out with my wife to demonstrate how it should be done. He informed us that our nearly 8 year old tires were truly woeful, and we really should invest. Tires then became out next purchase. We ended up with some Yokohama C-drives which was a mistake. The were certainly an improvement, but not by much.

Front and rear anti-roll bars, 24mm front and 19mm rear, both adjustable, came next, and reduced some of the wild rolling, and made the slides somewhat more controllable.

After a few more events, the clutch of unknown age, cried enough and became the next maintenance item to consume the Motorsport budget. An organic clutch with 30% extra clamp force was installed, along with a new slave cylinder, and we were back in action.

Some time during 2012, I also installed some OMGPham frame rail braces. I can't say I noticed a difference in the car as a result of these. Shiny chassis rails.

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:35 pm

All the while, the driving experience with the WA Mx5 Club, was a rich one. Lots of time watching others, talking about lines, technique, braking points, apexes, weight transfer, the effects of recent mods, and getting tips from some rather swift peddlers in some very competitive racing.

2013 began with a bang. Some new Motorsport venues, and some new excuses to add to the mx5. Adjustable Coilovers, 15x7 te37s, an AGI bolt in half cage, a SPARCO Sprint V all found their way into the car during the first few months of the year.

The Coilovers and 180 wear rated tires on the new wheels made a great difference to the feel of the car, as did the racing seat.

Around the same time, the exhaust began to emit steam. And not just on a cold morning. Shortly thereafter, the head-gasket was replaced and the cracked head welded and reconditioned. Ouch.

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:55 pm

For those not in WA, The WA Club runs events at a number of venues around Perth. The Barbagallo Raceway, is perhaps the best known as it has hosted a round of the V8 Supercars in past years. It's a ball to drive on, and as an amateur, it was the first time I felt my car run out of both legs and brakes.

The Kwinana Motorplex is better known for its drag racing. It also hosts a rally style series events, Autokhana and speedway. The mx5 club has used about a third of the rally event stage for a sprint event. As an amateur, it was the first time at an an event that I thought I might come away with panel damage (I didn't fortunately): lots off curbs and concrete to make you think carefully about your commitment to a corner. Another club member was unfortunate and passed their car through a chain link fence. Lots of scratched and dinted duco, and fortunately no injuries. I think I installed the roll cage after one of these events!

The Midvale Speeddome is so named for the indoor cycling venue (velodrome?) in Midvale. However, Perth motoring enthusiasts have been renting and repurposing a car park at the rear of this facility for sprint-type events. Plenty of curbs, grass and trees. One particular patch of bush at this venue has some Mx5 on it, left there by me, courtesy of some overly exuberant cornering.

The RAC in WA (RACWA, rather unsurprisingly) has a driver training venue near the international airport. The Mx5 club uses this venue for both sprints and skid pan based auto tests. It has been the bread and butter of the club's Motorsport venues and is a perfect venue for amateur and experienced a-like to hone their skills. Some very good memories here!

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:05 pm

Towards the end of 2013, I purchased a torsen 1 from another club member, and I installed a 6 point harness to keep me planted in the Sprint V. Both items made a further tremendous change to the driving experience.

The torsen in particular made me feel like I was learning to drive again. Suddenly, my limited horse power was more than enough to flick the car sideways, but at the same time, made powering out of a corner so much more controllable. Sadly, these two mods would be the last I'd make to this little car.

One of the club members is blessed with an abundance of RWHP in the form of a 6.2 litre ls2 from the mighty US of A, all packaged in a benign looking little MX5. On a number of occasions he allowed me to drive it on track, after which my little 1.8 felt permanently hand-braked. Seed planted.

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:14 pm

In late 2013, my employer floated the idea of a transfer to Brisbane, and it became time for the little Red NA8 to find a new home, and it has. So many great memories, so much fun.

In all, the car travelled only a few thousand km while I owned it. Very expensive km, but incredible value. Well done Mr Mazda!

This week, after playing phone tag with a man in Mongolia (yes literally), we met in Brisbane and agreed that I'd be the new owner of his little white NB Series 3.

TBC

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:02 am

:mrgreen:
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:43 am

Looks like you will get to drive Lakeside, QR (clubman, sprint, national and dirt tracks) and Morgan Park at least in the south east. Norwell park is no long able to be used :(

The MX5 car club has 5 track days this year, QR runs open and mid week sprints at both lakeside and QR as well as Friday night drifts at QR. There is also 5 time attack rounds at both QR and Lakeside. More than enough to keep you penniless!

If not into track you have Mt Cotton and Noosa hill climbs as well as company's like SDT and Paul Stokell who run track and skill sessions. The MX5 car club has a club run almost every Sunday (Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Darling Downs and Brisbane).

Servicing your MX5 of course we have MX5 Plus at Aspley (yes I do have automotive plus advertising on my car). Automotive Plus is the home of Danny's MX5 20B track only naturally aspirated build (it has a build page on this forum).

Looking forward to seeing your car make the spotted in Queensland list :)

Welcome to Queensland

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:08 pm

Here it is!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

geofiz
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby geofiz » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:17 pm

Hanson,
Sounds like you are settling in nicely, glad to see you back in an MX5.

Good luck with it all.

Russell

NA8 - BP4W IHI VJ35, 3.9 Torsen2, Adaptronic - SOLD
NB8A - mostly stock for now

fastfreddygassit
Waitin' for a mate

Postby fastfreddygassit » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:39 pm

1. Love your writing style :mrgreen:
2. The NB in white looks just sublime! Almost as good as the black mica..... :P

WesternPacific
Fast Driver

Postby WesternPacific » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:42 pm

Thats great Hanson! Car looks very nice. I followed your old car around the RAC track this past weekend, it seems to doing fine!

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:36 am

Looks great! :mrgreen:
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:04 pm

First impressions of the new machine are promising. It's done 70xxxkm and looks and feels virtually new. The wheels might be a bit too big for it, or the car is sitting too low (there's a bit of contact between tire and inner guard on bump or full lock). I'll do some measurements on the weekend and work out if it needs a height adjustment.

10 year old electric windows work so much more convincingly than 19 year old ones (the small pleasures!)

The paintwork is pretty tidy with the exception of a collection of scuffs on the rear right corner - they look like they might buff out (job 2 for the weekend).

A/C is on the blink.

The real source of the grin factor is the forced induction under the hood. According to the previous owner the last dyno tune produced 140rwkw on low boost and 185rwkw on high boost. I've not seen dyno sheets, but in the limited time I've had at the wheel, the seat-of-the-pants experience is convincing.

Just realised I know nothing about turbo-charged engines! :shock:

NMX516
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby NMX516 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:21 pm

Good write up!

Were the new wheels previously reg'd zzoom, or something very similar? That one certainly is a nice car if that's the one...

If you get the AGI roll bar idea out of your head, I have a better one for sale! :D viewtopic.php?f=44&t=61457
Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”