Lachstock and Four Turbo Charged Cylinders ['04 NB SE]

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Lachstock and Four Turbo Charged Cylinders ['04 NB SE]

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:56 pm

Finaly, I have an MX-5! And now the garage thread to document it. Can never have too many SE garage threads, right? :mrgreen:

I flew down to Melbourne to buy this car from another forum member, alexpav. Car was as described, looked great and so I gave Alex my cheque and began the long drive back to Brisbane! I have to say, Victoria has the best freeway I've been on in Australia, and once the sun was out, the roof was down and the rock 'n' roll was up! And I had that stupid grin on my face that I'm sure you all know well :)

Stopped in Sydney Friday night to stay with my (would-be) brother in-law for the night, pretty wrecked by the time I got there after driving I think about 10 hours. And to top it off, he lives in the inner city and this was my first time driving in Sydney, not as bad as I expected though. I had Google maps in the passanger seat telling me where to go :wink: We went to a local pub for dinner and a few beers, then I was out like a light!

Back on the road early after a quick coffee and bacon and egg roll from Deus Ex Machina cafe - man they were good! I drove up to Pie in the Sky, just outside the city on the old Pacific Highway to meet Nevyn72, and my first taste of some twisties in the Five. Nevyn has been my chat buddy on the forum for several months, with a TON of PMs back and forth discussing his car and my potential cars, he's been very helpful and patient with me so it was great to finally meet and chat face to face.

After a pie and coffee, Nevyn and I had a poke around the car, he pointed out a few spots to watch for, like clogged drains and wet carpets. He took a few photos with his proper camera and gave me a few tips on where to go as I left for some twisties. Following his advice I left Pie in the Sky and continued up the Old Pacific Highway for a while, enjoying some more turns. Signs said 60, but 80 was more fun and I loved shifting down from 4th to 3rd and blipping the throttle :D Got caught in a few down pours along the way. I managed to power on through the first one with nothing more than a wet forhead, but the others got too heavy, the traffic slowed and I had to pull over to put the lid up :frown:

Once my fuel gauge was looking scarily low, I re-joined the main freeway, topped up and carried on to my next stop at Grafton, which would set me up for a nice easy cruise home on Sunday. Found some pizza and beer before another nights deep sleep.

I was up bright and early once more, however the sun wasn't. Fog was everywhere, and it must have been <10 degrees. Still, like a stubborn kid with a new toy that I am, I dropped the roof and drove on. The fog was heavy, the heater was on, I think other motorisits thought me insane. After about 100ks the fog wasn't clearing, I gave up, pulled over and put the roof up again. The plan was to pull into Kingscliffe for a breakfast by the beach, I finally got there, the sun was out again, so the roof was down. Had a great feed, took a stroll then back in the car for the final leg!

Pulled into the driveway around midday, said hello to my girlfriend, then straight out to the garage to see to those drain plugs and carpets!

The previous owners had installed a TT style stylebar, that came out, then the carpets. Man I hate those christmas tree plugs. Got my first taste of working in that cramped area behind the seats. Both the rear drains were clogged, though only one side was wet. The drivers side mustn't get wet often for some reason, but it was still clogged. I dried out the carpet, which was ondly a little wet were the passenger rear drain was. I also pulled out the panel in the parcel shelf that is untreated to remove some surface rust. Back in it all went, plus the OEM windblocker.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to give it a wash and clean after that long journey, but that will happen today I think. This morning I took it down to get a Roadworthy, then off for registration!

smy0003
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: Lachstock and Four Turbo Charged Cylinders ['04 NB SE]

Postby smy0003 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:03 pm

Love the colour, don't see too many sunlight silver SE's around.
Alexpav is a nice guy, glad the trip was worth it :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

Snowmotion
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Snowmotion » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:35 pm

Looks great... I am sure you will have a ball.

Did you drive from Vic with no number plates on the car?
NB8A| WP 1:15.6 | SMP-S 1:08.56 | SMP-N 1:21.35
NC1| WP 1:09.42 | SMP-S 1:03.191 | SMP-N 1:16.1856 | SMP-GP 1:48.288

fastfreddygassit
Waitin' for a mate

Postby fastfreddygassit » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:09 am

Congrats on the SE.
It looks sensational! :BROADY:

Snowmotion wrote:Did you drive from Vic with no number plates on the car?

I drove my SE down from Maroochydore to Melb with no plates (but had the unreg permit in the glovebox).
Makes getting through tollways cheaper..... :mrgreen:

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:16 am

Thanks all. Very happy with the car :D

Snowmotion wrote:Looks great... I am sure you will have a ball.

Did you drive from Vic with no number plates on the car?

The car was bought unregistered, was previously registered in QLD but had expired by 2 months or so. Like fastfreddygassit, I arranged an unregistered permit that allows you to drive a road safe car from it's previous location to a new location on a one off trip (there are other criteria that could suit different situations, but that best matched mine), and is valid interstate. I had to display it on the windsheild where the regular registration sticker would go.

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:49 am

It was great meeting you Lachy, and glad to finally see you in possession of the SE you've been wanting for so long! :mrgreen:

Now to sit back and enjoy watching you make this car your own.... How long until the style bar replacement goes in, and that other thingy for the same area? :wink:
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:24 am

Nevyn72 wrote:How long until the style bar replacement goes in, and that other thingy for the same area? :wink:

Depends on how much Automotive Plus find that requires fixing when they service/inspect it next week. Or how much money the Government gives back to me after I do my taxes. I can list an MX5 as a dependent, right?

shuey
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby shuey » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:31 am

:BROADY:
.. that SS NBSE looks great. Why you have to come into Victoria to drive away a great specimen?!? :evil: 8) :mrgreen: :wink: :beer:
Looking forward to what you have in store for your ride in the future
2001 Sunlight Silver NB8B - SOLD - 23/6/16 :frown:

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:35 am

Been enjoying reading your questions, your search, the purchase and the adventure home with your new SE. Looks like your patience was repaid with a good one. Looking forward to the ongoing story ....

Welcome and enjoy :beer:

shuey wrote:Why you have to come into Victoria to drive away a great specimen?!? :evil: 8) :mrgreen: :wink: :beer:

Your's is nearly there .... just kinda lacks a turbo :shock: ... :mrgreen:

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:42 am

Congrats so will you be comming to the Southbound BP at Burpengary this Saturday to show it off?

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:55 am

Magpie wrote:Congrats so will you be comming to the Southbound BP at Burpengary this Saturday to show it off?

Unfortunately I already have a standing Saturday morning coffee date with friends down in Wooloowin. I make it to the BP on Sundays, which I think means I won't catch you.

I did however spot your car at Automotive Plus yesterday :wink: Great looking machine!

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:27 am

Thanks for the photo of my car, I miss seeing it each morning. I'll be there tomorrow to pick it up and spend some time with it and its new 4.3 diff.

Plus I will be seeing my partner as well, she is down in Brisbane already (5 of the 34 radiation treatments done).

speed freak
Racing Driver

Postby speed freak » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:58 pm

Sounds like it was an epic road trip on the way back. Id love to go on a road trip in my mx one day. Sounds like you have got it all sorted, now to get used to that grin haha. Keen to check it out on Sunday for coffee if your going.

pezchops
Fast Driver

Postby pezchops » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:27 pm

looking good..i have golf on sunday ,weather permitting ,so will have to wait until next time so check your SE out.

zero00
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby zero00 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:40 pm

See ya Sunday Lachy, I'll bring the NA to make you drool! Well done and looking forward to seeing it
Roger D-SUNSHINE COAST
2000 NB8A-LP 69.1248|QR Clubman 71.9235|QR Sprint 68.1412
1989 NA6 B-SPEC #77|Toyota GTS86 MT

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”