Lachstock and Four Turbo Charged Cylinders ['04 NB SE]

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Lachstock and Four Turbo Charged Cylinders ['04 NB SE]

Postby Lokiel » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:21 am

rascal wrote:
The American wrote: I’m going to build a shed at my new home, and then I will have a space to play again.

Speaking from experience, whatever size shed you are thinking of building,, go bigger..
I’ve built sheds at my last three houses, each one bigger than the last and I still seem to run out of space.

“I wish my shed was smaller” said no man ever!

... alas, the shed will NEVER be big enough :(

I'm partial to the barn-style sheds:
- centre is tall enough to allow a hoist
- can have all your benches/shelves at the rear
- can open the thing right up with the 3x doors
- can use one one spot to actually garage a car (the other for your stuff)
- can attach another roofed parking spot to either side for your "other" car(s)/trailer/boat

When I retire I'd like a small block of land away from the city, a REALLY small house and this HUGE shed!
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:12 am

- can host Dodgy Days

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:25 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:
greenMachine wrote:This is good stuff lachy, keep it coming. I have the IHI off mine in preparation for the rebuild, and will be putting a Garrett clone on, so these tips are most welcome!

What's it a clone of? A new size appropriate turbo is such an improvement over the IHI!

Probably a Pulsar 2860R GTX2, tossing up on the a/r sizing now

rascal wrote:“I wish my shed was smaller” said no man ever!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :NETPOINTZ:

Thanks for the feed back guys. I really enjoy it when we get some conversation going on the forum, no matter the topic.

I have a 9x6 with 4.5m roof peak, my 2-poster fits nicely, room for a mezzanine down the other end above the work area.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:02 pm

Now to hopefully wrap up this saga!

On Tuesday afternoon I nipped back down to AutoWorks in the late afternoon before close. They put the car up on the hoist and took a look. A miniscule gap in the v-band behind the cat was the culprit!

All the wonderful toys!

The guys struggled a little getting lined back up. Even with a hoist, 2 men, and support jack they struggled! How do you think it was when it was just me on my back on the garage floor!

Hot metal after a 30 minute drive

So it's back together and it the exhaust leak is gone. Happy days. The exhaust is still being pulled a bit, though not as much as before, and I feel like the muffler section is tilted slightly so the tip isn't centred in the cut out (forgot to take a photo). The solution really is to replace the section of pipe after the cat, or maybe more. Not sure if the costs will justify it though? I think for now I'll just drive and see how things go.

Still some pull on the hangers but not as much as before

The made sure to improve clearance to the diff - there were signs of some contact

I've put the hardtop back on for a moment, partially because I want to give the AC a good test out, see how well it'll cool the cabin. But also because I sometimes just like a change :mrgreen: The weather is pretty nice right now, so I don't think it'll stay on long to be honest.

My two silver beauties

Coupe mode engaged!

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:18 am

The day I have been dreading for 8 years came. Last Monday, the 17th of July, day before my birthday, I said goodbye to my best friend, Hobbes. It's been a rough time.

He developed a tumour that pressed on his spinal column, and impacted his balance and ability to walk. He degraded very quickly; it was heartbreaking to watch. The Vets were a bit slow to take action, but there wasn't much that could be done. I loved him so much, he was my best friend and brightened every day. To meet him was to love him.

He's gone far too soon :cry:

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:24 am

So sorry to hear mate, especially the timing. :frown:

Always treasure the memories, they are forever! :wink:
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:42 am

Bummer Lachy, sad time!

Take care mate

Build thread

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:04 pm

Ah, man, that's rough. Looks like he would have been a real character and given you some great memories. All the best, mate ...

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:26 pm

So sorry to hear about Hobbes.
Focus on the the good memories and know that you gave him the best life he could have had.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:11 am

That is sad news Lachy. My furry companion of 17 years passed away in my arms a few months ago. She is very missed.
My thoughts are with you.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:02 am

It's been a little while since I posted. It's still very sad around here without Hobbes. Thank you all for the kind words.

The other day I was in the office and came downstairs at lunch to see a beautiful stock Velocity Red SE. Someone has taken very good care of this car and kept it in very original condition. Short of a few stone chip touch ups, and some odd plastic shields over the headlights, it was show-room condition.

I don't think this car has ever turned a wheel in anger

I haven't had much opportunity to drive the car the way it's intended over the past year or so. I've done a couple of cruise/dates in it with my partner, fairly sedate and enjoyable in the cooler weather that's come to an end far too quickly. But hardly putting that EFR to work. Intentions to get to a track day or khana cross have fallen to the wayside.

I did take a moment to stuff the tunnels either side of the trunk with some foam to cut down on drone and noise, it works slightly but not a massive change. I bought the foam from Clarks years ago and finally took the 10 minutes to cut and stuff them in there. I could do a better job if I removed the panels from the parcel shelf and went in from the top, but that's more work than I'm willing to put in right now.

Yesterday I did finally take the car for a drive with the intention of putting some heat into the tyres, in the Gold Coast hinterlands. Managed to get a few turns at pace, but sadly there was too much traffic about and spent most of the time 10km under the speed limit.

Mt Tambourine look out

I don't expect too much development on the car in the coming months/year. I'm pretty happy with the balance right now, and while there's a few things that could be improved, like a proper power tune, or some radiator ducting, maybe some new seat covers, I don't find anything lacking and would be happy to drive the car as is for the time being. I just need to get into it more often!

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:09 am

Good to see you out and about in it Lachie!

I think weekends are just 'out' for fun drives, best done afternoons during the week. With DST just around the corner, it gives more daylight hours by the clock, and depending on the persons DST approach there can't be many better ways of using that than a blast along some back roads.

Helpfully, I notice that the local kangaroos don't seem to adjust their clocks so still move according to the sun giving a good window before we have to expect one to emerge unexpectedly(!). I have been reconnoitering for opportunities for some photogenic landscapes, and while that has involved the barge I have located some good back roads around here for when the MX returns.

That is a nice SE, even if it looks like being set up for rallying ... know the driver?

Build thread

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:15 pm

No DST up here, we care about the cows wake up time, you insensitive southerner! :mrgreen:

I typically like first thing on a Saturday or Sunday morning, but getting up that early is getting harder these days. I think I just need to get to make the effort to get a proper track if I want to rip on it.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:26 pm

Aaah, of course. What is it, set your watches forward an hour when entering, and your calendars back a decade :lol: :lol: Sorry Lachie, MX5 drivers not included there! Down here, we aren't worried about the cows' sleep, just how good they taste.

Agree, I was talking to a mate about that just an hour ago, I think the blast up a back road is fun, but still nothing like pushing the limits on a track, so I'm with you there. I'm always looking for oncoming traffic, cars and tractors entering, and keeping some in hand for the unexpected pothole etc. Added bonus, not likely to lose your license either!

Build thread

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:14 pm

I don't take offence, I was in primary school when the referendum was cast! Not that the timing matters, you'd probably get the same result today - it's a big and varied state.

Back road blasts are my favourite, more so than track, but getting harder and harder to get a good run, and the penalties for exceeding the mandated limits is getting more and more excessive. The cost of a fine probably exceeds the cost of a track day now! Such is the way of things though.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”