Lachstock and Four Turbo Charged Cylinders ['04 NB SE]

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Re: Lachstock and Four Turbo Charged Cylinders ['04 NB SE]

Postby bruce » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:13 pm

1220kg is actually pretty light considering all the extra stuff you would have added to your car (like we all do).
Mine was 1320 loaded up, but mine is not really an MX5 any more.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:28 pm

I thought it was pretty good too. But I don't think I've added much weight, my wheels, seats, stereo and doors would all be lighter than stock. I have added a roll bar and frame rail braces. SE turbo for aftermarket turbo is probably pretty even.

I'm surprised yours is so heavy actually. You've got an SR20 turbo, right? Shouldn't be much heavier than my setup.

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:11 pm

Sr20det is 1120kg no driver (proper weighbridge)
New car, Bullet Roadster 1320kg incl driver (tip scales) 1uzfe supercharged

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:20 pm

I know you've talked of V8 MX-5s for a while, I didn't know you'd picked on up though! Very nice :beer:

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:16 pm

:beer:

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:05 am

Now, back to the evolving story. I've broken this up in to bits because I didn't want a massively long single post, and because I feel like a few posts over several days might be a bit more engaging, a new post to read when you check the forum each day. At least I hope it's welcome and not a drag?

So, before Bruce and I got sidetracked talking weights, I left the story with me trying to get to the workshop on the otherside of town before the start of the long weekend! Luckily a friend was about to stop by to borrow my trickle charger and could run me over.

Once there, I had a good chat with Darren about the work done, and we even had a lengthy chat about engine swaps and the inconsistencies of mod plate rules. He has an engineering background and is interested in data and doing things right. He's the kind of guy you want handling the details when you had a modded car!

The AC work is very neat, and I can report I have cold air out the vents. It's been a relatively cool weekend here, so not much of a test just yet, but I'll keep running it as much as possible over the coming weeks to make sure there's no leak. They injected a dye with the gas, so if it is coming out they should be able to fine the leak easily.

Before and after

AC hoses, exit stage right, and away from the heat

Drier tucked away near the wiper motor

The area around the turbine housing and the dump pipe is now much clearer, and should it be needed, a heat shield could more easily be fit in there now. New flexi hoses are running down to the compressor at the front of the engine. And cold air comes through to the cabin! It's not as good as my Subaru's AC, but it's enough to keep you comfortable on a hot day.

The car is sitting very nicely now. I could never get the ride heights right, and now that we know of the heavy front right corner, it makes a bit more sense why. Darren did a great job getting it as close as possible, and the ride and handling feels great. I still need to get out and drive it with a bit of gusto, the weather's been pretty nice lately so hopefully that won't take long.

Unfortunately (always something, right?), there's an exhaust leak! I heard it by the time I was 20m up the road, but at that point it was too late to do anything, I guess I'll try to get back to the workshop this week. I was able to find it, just after the cat under the middle of the car. There's a nice splutter of carbon on the garage floor to prove it. The v-bands are very easy to misalign slightly and should be an easy fix. I could probably manage it, but I think when it's done by the professionals, they should be the ones to correct it. Heaven forbid I do something wrong trying to fix it, then it's all on me.

I took the car out for a few runs over the weekend, just local trips here and there. I want to start using the car more regularly, and having the AC sorted will help with that. The other issue that prevents me driving it more, is it's usually parked at the back of the tandem garage blocked by the Subaru, not too much can be done about that though.

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:23 pm

Nice neat logical job with the aircon.

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:48 pm

They definitely did a good job with the A/C cannister relocation - that's where I mounted my oil-catch can so was not an option for me :(

Suggestions:
* Heat-sheath that hose at 11 o'clock of the downpipe next time you do a coolant change
* Use heat-reflecting tape on the two A/C barbs (they WILL get hot and that blue plastic WILL melt)
* consider folding the heat reflective tape along the shelf edge too to protect the paint

Alternatively, make your turbo heat shield now that the A/C is sorted.
This stuff is great (available at SuperCheap, AutoBran and Repco):
Make the prototype out of a corrugated cardboard box since it has a similar thickness, then the 1st version - accumulate some origami skills to minimise cutting and get neat folds/curves.
You'll probably end up making a 2nd/3rd version as you find the deficiencies in your initial design and get better at working with the shielding.
Folding the outer edges will give the shield extra strength and you shouldn't need additional bracing with this stuff.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:07 pm

I’m reading along and appreciating the posts. I wish I had more regular updates to contribute. I’m going to build a shed at my new home, and then I will have a space to play again.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:18 pm

Lokiel wrote:Suggestions:
* Heat-sheath that hose at 11 o'clock of the downpipe next time you do a coolant change
* Use heat-reflecting tape on the two A/C barbs (they WILL get hot and that blue plastic WILL melt)
* consider folding the heat reflective tape along the shelf edge too to protect the paint

Alternatively, make your turbo heat shield now that the A/C is sorted.
This stuff is great (available at SuperCheap, AutoBran and Repco):

Those are good suggestions, and now that there's more room there it should be manageable. That shield material is what I was planning to use when I thought I could do it before the relocation. I might revisit that at some stage.

The American wrote:I’m reading along and appreciating the posts. I wish I had more regular updates to contribute. I’m going to build a shed at my new home, and then I will have a space to play again.

Thanks, glad to hear - both that you appreciate the posts, and that you're planning a man-shed!

I'm heading back out to the workshop this afternoon to get the exhaust looked at, so hopefully that will be the last of this update.

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:16 pm

Lachy, I'm definitely enjoying reading all the updates. Apart from the recent maintenance to the exhaust and frame rails on mine, I only ever add my anniversary post to my thread, which is both sad, that I'm not upgrading anything, and encouraging, that I'm happy enough with it as it stands! Keep it coming ....

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:09 pm

Keep the posts coming Lachy!

You know I'm a bit of a fan of ongoing sagas... :mrgreen:
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:58 pm

This is good stuff lachy, keep it coming. I have the IHI off mine in preparation for the rebuild, and will be putting a Garrett clone on, so these tips are most welcome!

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:05 am

The American wrote: I’m going to build a shed at my new home, and then I will have a space to play again.

Speaking from experience, whatever size shed you are thinking of building,, go bigger..
I’ve built sheds at my last three houses, each one bigger than the last and I still seem to run out of space.

“I wish my shed was smaller” said no man ever!

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:19 am

KevGoat wrote:I'm happy enough with it as it stands! Keep it coming ....

That's the place I want to get mine to! I think you've done an excellent job of setting and achieving what you want from your car, you just have to enjoy it.

Nevyn72 wrote:You know I'm a bit of a fan of ongoing sagas... :mrgreen:

I was thinking of your sagas as I've been writing, I don't quite have your flare for story telling though :mrgreen:

greenMachine wrote:This is good stuff lachy, keep it coming. I have the IHI off mine in preparation for the rebuild, and will be putting a Garrett clone on, so these tips are most welcome!

What's it a clone of? A new size appropriate turbo is such an improvement over the IHI!

rascal wrote:“I wish my shed was smaller” said no man ever!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :NETPOINTZ:

Thanks for the feed back guys. I really enjoy it when we get some conversation going on the forum, no matter the topic.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”