Gorgan the NB

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: Gorgan the NB

Postby The Green Goblin » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:47 pm

Lokiel wrote:
The Green Goblin wrote:
Lokiel wrote:Carbon vagina flaps will get you defected :(

Why’s that exactly?

They slice through flesh.

ie. Same reason hood pins are illegal, if you hit a pedestrian, they cause more injury than without them, which is why they're not OEM from ANY manufacturer in the last 20 years (airflow channels are moulded into the bumper and they don't have edges).

Most cops would probably ignore them but if you get one on a bad or slow day, they'll defect you for it and look for other issues.

External modz like this are just advertising that your car has been modded and gives the police a reason to pull you over.

yeh understood however alot of merc AMG's e.g. a45 are fitted with them OEM.. so i can argue that point if i ever need to, but honestly cops dont even look at it in that way.. was pulled over once prior for RBT.. cop was complementing me. whether i learn the hard way or not, i'm not going to live in fear of getting defected.. so its one im willing to risk.

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:47 pm

It IS low risk, especially on an MX5 when there are plenty of Nissans and Subarus with ginormous "fart canons" running about, blatantly advertising that they've illegally modified their cars.

Curious: "ginormous" was NOT flagged as a spelling error.
According to the Oxford English dictionary it's been a valid word since the 1940s:
Origin: 1940s (originally military slang): blend of giant and enormous.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:09 pm

Here's the latest PB from WP. My times were consistent & i drove it's nuts off.. ive reached or am reaching the limits with this set up & I'm in a bit of a crossroads with regards to the purpose & development of the car or heck, whether i keep it or not.

kiezon
Fast Driver

Postby kiezon » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:40 pm

I suppose when you have to question yourself about keeping the car, it's time to move on to a better platform. Though, you have to ask yourself what your requirements are to re-evaluate.

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:53 am

kiezon wrote:I suppose when you have to question yourself about keeping the car, it's time to move on to a better platform. Though, you have to ask yourself what your requirements are to re-evaluate.

In all honesty, i love the car and want to keep it.. im actually considering doing a turbo forged build however, not sure i can justify some of the costs these workshops are quoting me (see here http://www.aus-cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=78052). As far as better platform is concerned.. that's all subjective. In my opinion light weight, 50/50 weight distribution, FR layout and go kart like handling is hard to beat.. it just needs power and it will be a weapon/put up a good fight to high end euro/newer sports cars.

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:52 pm

The Green Goblin wrote:
kiezon wrote:I suppose when you have to question yourself about keeping the car, it's time to move on to a better platform. Though, you have to ask yourself what your requirements are to re-evaluate.

In all honesty, i love the car and want to keep it.. im actually considering doing a turbo forged build however, not sure i can justify some of the costs these workshops are quoting me (see here http://www.aus-cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=78052). As far as better platform is concerned.. that's all subjective. In my opinion light weight, 50/50 weight distribution, FR layout and go kart like handling is hard to beat.. it just needs power and it will be a weapon/put up a good fight to high end euro/newer sports cars.

A stripped NC with a 2.5L swap is darn quick, cheaper than a forged build + turbo conversion (excluding cost of buying the NC) and proven.
MeepMeep

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:36 pm

The Green Goblin wrote:

Don't forget that the consumables on an MX5 are MUCH cheaper too due to its lightness (that was something lightyear noted when he switched to a Subie and back again).
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:10 pm

Roadrunner wrote:
The Green Goblin wrote:

A stripped NC with a 2.5L swap is darn quick, cheaper than a forged build + turbo conversion (excluding cost of buying the NC) and proven.

All valid points.. and yes they move however, i consider this a start from scratch approach.. finding car.. suspension braking mods etc. its a headache. im halfway there with my car.. also, i've had a taste of n/a and want to go back to turbo.

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:13 pm

Lokiel wrote:
The Green Goblin wrote:

Don't forget that the consumables on an MX5 are MUCH cheaper too due to its lightness (that was something lightyear noted when he switched to a Subie and back again).

correct and a big one.. tyre & brake pad wear is unbeatable for the thrashing it see's. Another is something oddly satisfying about being chopped by a 'piece of sh!t girls car'.. that has no/minimal driver aids as opposed to todays modern day robots.

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:23 pm

Here is the latest news regarding all things blue turd:

- installed new slotted DBA rotors and Carbotech xp10's all round, along with some motul hi-temp fluid replacement
- minor service, oil + filter
- spanner checked suspension components, bracing, exhaust components etc.
- relocated the OEM washer bottle - purchased the maruha bottle relocation kit, which sits outside the bay, crappy pic doesn't do it justice. the OEM bottle melted thanks to it's proximity to my RB headers. it's opened up that area nicely.

Latest purchase:
- garage vary vented carbon bonnet - looked around for a while, damn expensive, but justified - or at least I tell myself. Should see some lower engine bay temps/avoid heat soak & stuff melting at track days, also save some decent weight. I can apparently run this bonnet without secondary catch/hood pins but i might just go ahead and run them just to be safe. Looks wise, i think it will finish off the front end agressive yet clean look.

Other than that, have been enjoying it on the street plenty, royal nasho runs, blue mountains & clutch kicking in the wet..lol. I have a WP day coming up on the 25th so looking forward to a proper thrash. Will be removing the passenger seat + fire extinguisher which is an easy 10kg or more alone, aiming to get low 13's or high 12's which is still pretty damn slow..but for what it is in terms of set up, not too shabby.

What's next:
- de-clutter engine pay if possible, somewhat of an annoying job
- remove stock air box in favour of an autoexe intake kit
- coolant re-route?
- shave some weight?
- continue thrashing car as much as possible
- continue being overtaken by not so powerful cars on straights.. and in turn;
- continue contemplating forged turbo build

Keep it real.

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:20 am

Why not pause the forging and do the turbo build. Get it tuned carefully and conservatively. And then when cashflow permits, pull the engine and rebuild with better bits, and retune in preparation for destroying your gearbox?

The limits of the stock engine plus boost is not too different to the limits of the gearbox, with the primary variable being your driving style.

The engine in mine is forged, but the power output would be ok on stock internals, and it is a super hoot.

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:00 am

Mine must have been one of the earliest Vary NB bonnets so not sure how much they have changed. I found the corners lifted a bit at high speed, it made me nervous so I put the aero catches on.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:44 am

The American wrote:Why not pause the forging and do the turbo build. Get it tuned carefully and conservatively. And then when cashflow permits, pull the engine and rebuild with better bits, and retune in preparation for destroying your gearbox?

The limits of the stock engine plus boost is not too different to the limits of the gearbox, with the primary variable being your driving style.

The engine in mine is forged, but the power output would be ok on stock internals, and it is a super hoot.

I thought about this briefly however, (un)fortunately, I'm the kind of guy whose going to do it once and properly - from a time, effort, build quality and cost perspective. Money isn't an issue however it is a big investment and I need to know that what i want is realistic and inline with my expectations.. I'm still secretly doing my homework, and me being particular some of the workshops I have visited/spoken to, aren't doing it for me.

Do you have a link to your build/set up etc.?

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:48 am

Okibi wrote:Mine must have been one of the earliest Vary NB bonnets so not sure how much they have changed. I found the corners lifted a bit at high speed, it made me nervous so I put the aero catches on.

Sweet, mind sharing a pic of your bonnet catches and overall set up?

I read something similar regarding the lifting towards front end of bonnet, it is a tad nerve-racking, if you never try you'll never know i guess.

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:07 am

The Green Goblin wrote:Do you have a link to your build/set up etc.?

The thread for the car is here: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=62304&start=30

Mx5 Mania built the engine for the previous owner. GT Auto Garage did the tune and subbed the work to install the ECU, injectors pump and conversion to return style fuel system to Automotive Plus.

I had a bit of a rough start with the car as the brand new ECU had a hardware fault, and the upgraded fuel pump made short work of overheating the main relay. Both of these issues caused intermittent shut downs and much frustration. But since then the car has been brilliant.

In terms of local builds that show the way to do it once and properly (in hindsight perhaps) is Daffy’s car. His machine has already solved diff and gearbox limits for example. Lot$ of ca$h involved though

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”