Gorgan the NB

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Custardtart
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: Gorgan the NB

Postby Custardtart » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:40 pm

I’d imagine a Boxster would be faster round a track for a fair bit less $$$$ than building a forged/turbo NB?
A normally aspirated 2.5 NC with compression, intake and cams will net 250rwhp but with suspension mods it would still cost more than a Mk1 Boxster S and be slower on track.
NC1 - 2.5 opposite lock device
Lakeside 62.3

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby The Green Goblin » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:53 pm

Custardtart wrote:I’d imagine a Boxster would be faster round a track for a fair bit less $$$$ than building a forged/turbo NB?
A normally aspirated 2.5 NC with compression, intake and cams will net 250rwhp but with suspension mods it would still cost more than a Mk1 Boxster S and be slower on track.

A porsche to be 'a fair bit less' than a same year-ish make mazda i don't think is accurate, plus it weights 12-1300 odd kg's, even at a 'cheap' price you're looking at service maintenance to bring up to par & mods costs, its an apple VS orange comparison.

Another person mentioned the NC 2.5 swap, but again you are looking at a new car, new start/ground up approach with respect to mods/labour etc. factor in time effort.. im half way there with my car.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:15 pm

I was looking at Boxsters a while back, the downside is the intermediate shaft bearing issue. The designers stuffed the motor up, shame. There are third party work arounds but these don't seem to be bullet proof either.

bigdog
King of the kennel
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby bigdog » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:51 pm

My stock 04 Boxster S did a 1.11 around Wakefield with a good driver behind the wheel. Falken RT615 tyres were the only enhancement. With a weight reduction and some intake and exhaust tuning it would be substantially quicker. The IMS issue is no different to building a high horsepower turbo engine - failure is always possible. Parts prices are the real problem - Porsche tax is real
Marvin - '02 Silver SP - BD, PSS9, Guru, Build #62 Cardomain

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:50 pm

Day out at Luddenham raceway.. fun was had.

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:16 pm

I hope you're all keeping covid safe.. practicing social distancing.. staying 1.5m apart.. wearing a mask.. washing your hands.. getting tested.. wiping your arse properly.. having regular showers.. maintaining oral hygiene and sanitising your testes, cause we are all in this plandemic together..

**cough (pun intended).

Some new stuff has arrived.. GV carbon bonnet, along with rain cover so I can rock around during wet days.. it's very well made.. you get what you pay for I say. I'm honestly not much of a fan of carbon bonnets, as in, such a large piece of real estate against the pretty blue paint from an aesthetic point of view..however, wanted something functional that would fit well and help with heat soak/cooling, this may get sprayed in the near future.

Lightweight buddy..

Also at impulse-ish, I purchased a newer version sparco sprint seat, which has a revised look and material finish. The bottom cushion is more meaty too..compared to my current sprint V, meaning I will hopefully be able to drive to wakefield without my butt going numb & suffer from chronic lower back pain. Should give me a slightly higher seating position, so I will need to test it out and hopefully works well for track use, otherwise I may have to sell it off.

Further contemplations:
- should I stop wasting money on pretty stuff
- should I pull my finger out and purchase turbo items
- should I be a man, pull the air con out and strip the thing
- I need some proper semi slick tyres
- wouldnt mind a skid pan day
- I need an e-brake drift button

Otherwise, still enjoying this piece of crap on the street.. here it is practicing social distancing..

I try to keep it real.. you should also. Orrroooo,
Jas.

lucmor444
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby lucmor444 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:24 pm

Very nice bonnet.

It'd be a shame to cover that lovely weave with paint but understand if CF is not your thing.

PaulF
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby PaulF » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:47 am

I reckon the CF would look great on your car. Being such a dark factory colour anyway it's not going to stick out like a sore thumb, and would tie in with the wheels/lip/mirrors. Or you could spray it but leave a section around the vent or something, just to hint at what's underneath.

But yeah, it's your car, so you do you. :mrgreen:

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:34 am

I love that bonnet so much! It's a wish list item for me! I might need to PM you about the details acquiring it.

Personally, I would paint it to match. I find CF bonnets and the like a little obnoxious, but to each their own. I can see the CF looking OK and blending well with your dark paint, as PaulF mentioned.

I think you need to decide if it's a track car or a street car. Track cars don't need matching paint or A/C.

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:12 pm

agree - small CF accents im okay with, but yeh, a little iffy about large area.. its a bit 'look at me' type thing however, should be okay with the darker paint as mentioned. in any case its more about function.. serving a purpose etc. hope to get it on soon.

its true i'm in a state of confusion with this car.. it's still street registered, if i gut it and remove air con.. it would be considered a track only car. Currently i don't have allowance for a trailer and tow car set up at home.. and i don't see that coming along in near future, so it will remain a mix of both with a lenience to track use / compromise in comfort.

If anyone has direct experience with a bolt on turbo install from mx5 mania, please PM me.

luzinit
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby luzinit » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:21 am

Keep aircon, add more power (turbo) and build it to serve both street and track duties.
That's my plan anyway... ;D

PaulF
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby PaulF » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:57 am

For what it's worth, I was in the same sort of position a couple of years ago: I'd bought another street car and the MX was doing lots of motorsport; I could strip it and put a proper cage in and step things up a notch... but I just enjoyed driving it on the street too much. I ended up building another dedicated race car, and now the Mazda is reverting to "street friendly, track capable".

kiezon
Fast Driver

Postby kiezon » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:45 pm

How are you liking the Tein Mono Sports on both street and track? I've been looking for a set of coilovers to suit both purposes, initially thought Ohlins would be a good option but they have limited travel in the rears.

Also, may I ask what oil filter relocation kit you have installed? I love the idea of not drilling holes and using a bracket instead!

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:56 pm

kiezon wrote:How are you liking the Tein Mono Sports on both street and track? I've been looking for a set of coilovers to suit both purposes, initially thought Ohlins would be a good option but they have limited travel in the rears.

Also, may I ask what oil filter relocation kit you have installed? I love the idea of not drilling holes and using a bracket instead!

Hey man,

the Tein's serve me well.. i think they are good (my good maybe your crap though.. this is the beauty of subjectivity). I will say that they are harsh for the road, I have them set up just above the average firmness mark so they still absorb somewhat, i prefer good stiffness to perform on track VS being comfy on the street. they are a monotube damper, if you want lenience to street you're better off going twin tube.. for street comfort. The thing with jap brand coils is they are meant for they're smooth roads, not our goat tracks. just comes down to what you use your car for.. i have another daily so the turd is more of a dedicated fun car.

the oil filter re-location is a custom piece.. had it done by corse in arndell park.. if you have time and the right tools at home, im pretty sure you can make a template so that your filter bolts up to it. it does save a small level of pain when changing oil.

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:07 pm

Finally got the GV bonnet on, it looks decent i think, maybe a wee bit ricer? Perhaps colour matched would look subtle, but still aggressive somewhat. In terms of install, it bolted straight on with little to no fiddling at all, the gaps are pretty consistent and everything lines up nicely. GV marked out the cut outs for the where the bonnet pins needed to go, along with all OEM holes for the windscreen washer nozzles etc, so yeh you get what you pay for. In saying that it is not perfect like the OEM item, this was expected. The real benefit will be when I am WOT on a hot day at a track.

Next on the to do:
- install the new sparco
- SMP track day maybe
- dream about spooling noises and not being passed by 90% of cars on straights.

10-4 over.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”