Gorgan the NB

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: Gorgan the NB

Postby The Green Goblin » Mon May 17, 2021 8:23 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:Congratulations on the sale! Someone got a great car. Sadly for me I won't be getting a GV bonnet :frown:

I am very jealous of your new FD, it's a bucket list car for sure, rotary costs be damned! And yours looks very clean. If your NB is any example I'm sure it'll be well cared for and receive the best parts and upgrades. Enjoy in good health!

Thanks for the kind words mate & likewise! the 5 is a mad car, you can have so much fun on the track with them, I honestly reckon I'll end up getting an ND in future & be back here!

Sorry the bonnet didn't work out aye, things just got too chaotic and it went along with the car.

All the best.

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Mon May 17, 2021 8:38 pm

I'm sorry to say that I will NOT be watching your FD YouTube channel, I've loved the FDs ever since they came out and thankfully they cost way too much then and their high maintenance costs has kept me from seriously considering purchasing one now - but every time I see one I start lusting and drooling.

"My name is Lokiel, and I could very easily become an FD addict!"

The common FD update was replacing the over-complicated+problematic twin turbos with a single larger one.
Imagine replacing them now with an EFR6258 and decent ECU!

The FD was a classic from day one, definitely a great weekender and investment car but please tell me it's not a DD!

PS: I owned an FC in the US for 3.5 years and it was a money pit which helped cure me somewhat for the FD when it arrived. 3 years as a DD in Minnesota didn't help (plus it took forever to find a Rotary mechanic, all Mazda wanted to do was sell me piles of new parts to be installed by them whenever I had an issue - I subsequently avoided US dealerships when possible).
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Tue May 18, 2021 1:33 pm

It's a dream car to lust after. Owning one sounds like a massive disappointment.

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Wed May 19, 2021 6:16 pm

Lokiel wrote:I'm sorry to say that I will NOT be watching your FD YouTube channel, I've loved the FDs ever since they came out and thankfully they cost way too much then and their high maintenance costs has kept me from seriously considering purchasing one now - but every time I see one I start lusting and drooling.

"My name is Lokiel, and I could very easily become an FD addict!"

The common FD update was replacing the over-complicated+problematic twin turbos with a single larger one.
Imagine replacing them now with an EFR6258 and decent ECU!

The FD was a classic from day one, definitely a great weekender and investment car but please tell me it's not a DD!

PS: I owned an FC in the US for 3.5 years and it was a money pit which helped cure me somewhat for the FD when it arrived. 3 years as a DD in Minnesota didn't help (plus it took forever to find a Rotary mechanic, all Mazda wanted to do was sell me piles of new parts to be installed by them whenever I had an issue - I subsequently avoided US dealerships when possible).

All good man, no gun to your head.

None of my 'fun' cars are daily drivers, it wouldn't be something to look forward to otherwise. I've done alot of research prior to purchase, which included speaking with owners & mechanics, as with any car they have weak points.. also lots of myths/fear floating around, dont forget this car competed in endurance races including bathurst 12 hour. The heat they produce is the main factor, hence oil changes are needed every 3k kms.. given i managed to put 5k kms per year on the mx5, maintenance shouldn't be an issue.. but we'l see I guess.

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Wed May 19, 2021 6:24 pm

bruce wrote:It's a dream car to lust after. Owning one sounds like a massive disappointment.

If you never try, you'll never know.. again like my mx5. Many said they were gay gutless cars.. but who listens to people these days, you make your own call based on the info you gather.

In your case, I'm assuming you haven't dríven one before, cause you wouldnt be saying that.. try driving one bud.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed May 19, 2021 7:47 pm

I've dríven a few. It may drive nicely but that is only one facet of ownership.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Thu May 20, 2021 9:19 am

The Green Goblin wrote:Sorry the bonnet didn't work out aye, things just got too chaotic and it went along with the car.

All the best.

No dramas, I still lust for one, but probably best to use the money elsewhere for now.

Enjoy the FD, it'll be a fantastic experience! If you think to, can you pop back in here from time to time and give us an update on how it's going?

The Green Goblin
Fast Driver

Postby The Green Goblin » Sun May 23, 2021 7:23 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:
The Green Goblin wrote:Sorry the bonnet didn't work out aye, things just got too chaotic and it went along with the car.

All the best.

No dramas, I still lust for one, but probably best to use the money elsewhere for now.

Enjoy the FD, it'll be a fantastic experience! If you think to, can you pop back in here from time to time and give us an update on how it's going?

Yeh man, it's a good piece of kit.. sad that we can't access them so easily. But if you want it bad enough, just order one dude.. we live once.. world's turning to sh*t so you may aswell hey.. money is there to be spent.

Fingers crossed the FD serves me well.. just hope i dont lose my license.. everytime i drive it, it sees redline. i'll see how we go with updating the thread.. some people might not appreciate it given it's a 5 forum.

Over'n'out.

luzinit
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby luzinit » Sun May 23, 2021 7:49 pm

The forum barely gets any action these days and tbh, I probably come back here for the classifieds, maniaclachys thread and yours. The FD is so fun to drive in Gran Turismo, feels like a MX5 with a much rev happier engine. I can't really see how you can get disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

greenltd
Fast Driver

Postby greenltd » Sat May 29, 2021 12:30 pm

RX7's are like 5's, you don't know till you drive one. I still miss my series 2 RX7 I sold some 25 years ago. For the day it went pretty hard, probslow by comparison today. But it like a 5, was a pleasure to drive and the smooth pulling through to 7000 was amazing. You will enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”