Zabinskii's High Comp VVT Na6

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Zabinskii
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Zabinskii's High Comp VVT Na6

Postby Zabinskii » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:22 pm

beavis wrote:
Zabinskii wrote:
beavis wrote:Love it. 190hp is a nice number.

Is it me, or does it look like the coolant re-route pipe is welded to the valve cover at the bolt holes.

thats just you beavis, its all you. <3 <3
luv the exhaust btw

OH IM SORRY. I zoomed in and i thought i saw welds.

Yes that exhaust is awesome.

what u saw is a hole and a bad pixel or 500

zossy1
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby zossy1 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:47 pm

Great result! Thumbs up!

Garido
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby Garido » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:19 pm

looking good pol

Zabinskii
Fast Driver

Postby Zabinskii » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:02 pm

small update, nothing has really happened, just been driving it around as a daily, the fuel efficiency is actually alright,
getting about 320km/35L on e85 :P
and 400km/ 35L on 98,
tune still need to be fixed when cruising, but the tuner has agreed to fix the small issues if i found any at no extra cost.

AFR.s when cruising on the highway are around 13.8-14.5 so they can be leaned out a little more.
but other than that im happy with how the car has been,
soon to be updated to a single pipercross filter, just gotta get one custom soft line made up :)

pictures will be posted when that has been done :)

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:09 am

This thread needs more pics/videos.
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

3gress
Racing Driver

Postby 3gress » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:50 am

Some vids longer than 13sec' perhaps?
You can hear it start howling as it comes on cam and starts sucking in great lung fulls of the atmosphere.
You have to give us a decent (safe/law abiding) spirited driving video 5 mins long at the least, boot the passenger out for weight savings and hard mount a gopro.
Vids or BAN :twisted:

:NETPOINTZ: for sick build with respect to age, ability and well chosen mods.

Ruffian147
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby Ruffian147 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:30 pm

Great work Zab. Noticed you've got Fab9 COPs.

Zabinskii
Fast Driver

Postby Zabinskii » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:03 pm

Ruffian147 wrote:Great work Zab. Noticed you've got Fab9 COPs.

Yeah, bought them second hand from the US for 200$
Ignition control module died pretty quick
So I bought a genuine Bosch one and no issues since.

More videos will come, I just gotta get a better camera, probably get a new go pro soon enough and run it as a roll bar mounted dash cam :P
But yeah all in due time, I'll have to finish all the little things with the car first

Zabinskii
Fast Driver

Postby Zabinskii » Sat May 22, 2021 2:54 pm

update, a lot has happened with the car and life, car has undergone plenty of aesthetic modifications, including garage vary bonnet, front lip, side spats, splitter (mainly to protect the front lip and spats) garage vary tail light panel. and a few other small things here and there like custom fibreglass front panels. images to come,

now, the big thing, car was in a small accident, some old guy in a van thought he could just merge without looking and swiped my front panel, nothing major, but insurance claim went through, got a small pay out, decided it was time to put the car to rest for a little, it had given me a good amount of laughs and smiles. and I personally felt it was at a point where I couldn't do much more to it without ruining what character and enjoyment it gave me as an n/a engine, the drivability was good, the power was nice, and the noises, god they were bliss. but time had come to say goodnight and go for something a bit..... more. so thats where i am now, currently taking it to its next reiteration and upgrading a few things on the way. tune in next week for more.

Zabinskii
Fast Driver

Postby Zabinskii » Sat May 22, 2021 4:22 pm

Here is how the car sat prior to being taken off the road, still goign to have vvt, but vvt-i now :wink: :wink:, so far the new engine is mounted and has a tubular subframe to give me more space for exhaust and whatnot. any guesses to what the new engine is?

the car had done a few km on the road with me and seen some good and bad times, we went through the 2018 bushfires together and had to evacuate, piled a lot of my stuff into the car and bugged out, was close to a week before we were allowed back in and luckily our house remained unscathed, the surrounding area, not so much

this brings us to today, though I might revive the thread as I'm getting closer and closer to finishing the car, almost finalised the engine wiring and have a few more small things to do in the engine bay before the car gets a final teardown and reassembly after an engine refresh and some headwork.
there will be a few big posts but mainly images to summarise the work and nuances of trying to fit big engines in small cars.

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Re: Zabinskii's High Comp VVT-I V8

Postby The American » Sun May 23, 2021 5:21 pm

Looking forward to seeing more of what you’ve been up to!

Zabinskii
Fast Driver

Postby Zabinskii » Mon May 24, 2021 11:48 am

a few other things have been done to the car as well to allow for the new powerplant.
such as, new transmission, going with a t56 gearbox as i had one at my disposal, did need an adapter plate to run the stock bellhousing however that was easy enough to source as an off the shelf part.

i was considering cutting the stock subframe to make the engine fit however this made me uncomfortable and i found it easier to source a tubular subframe from CrapEngineering in the UK for half the price of the V8 Roadsters subframe and they were happy to send one across the large pond. so much more room for activities and exhaust, steering rack, sumpp and custom engine mounts.

bigger brakes, the brakes are a custom parts bin setup to an extent. using the V* roadsters radial mount brackets, Honda civic dynamic mount rotor hats, Some Wilwood radial mount calipers, and the Wilwood 11.75" rotors.

digital dash and Haltech elite 2500, went this route as its easier to run everything to the Haltech and connect the ic-7 Via Can, and can display all the data i need or want. also purchased a Mako Motorsports cluster surround for it while I was at it for a clean install and the ability to run warning lights, indicator and high beam lights.

Rx7 Rear hubs to run an FC turbo diff. ,and shafts, brand new from japan as they're hard to find second hand

Wiring wiring wiring, had to do a fair few wires for the sequential injection, ignition, 3X cam sensors, crank sensor, and temperature sensors, solenoids and various other connections.
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cRTHU4SdMmBSA1R3C3_Jp-um6cGcLteC7hlaVyIa2GbosOVnMet2eT1E7M59EHLcxdG0z8plbgH6gPRSlCe3Jnld9_f3m-4qVHBqWVxJzzFoz85U4Xe6QMVmu6QMbUJr-il9vPeRXff6igGzrHfAEB=w1278-h959-no
[/img]

fuel system is easy enough to do, Speed flow fittings and black braided stainless PTFE lines, for the cleanliness. started making basic coil covers to neaten things up a lil bit,

so this brings me to the "grand reveal" of the engine, its a Toyota V8 that has been in a few modern cars from 2001-2010 i believe, DOHC 3v Valve, 4.3L. also known as a 3UZ-FE from a gs430/sc430, smooth, reliable and more than enough power for now. will be getting bigger valves and some light head work along with some H beam Rods fore high rev happiness. redline should be seen about 8500rpm dependant on the camshafts and where they want to make power. Image

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon May 24, 2021 12:18 pm

NICE!

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Mon May 24, 2021 12:33 pm

Interesting!

Legality? Or track only?

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Zabinskii
Fast Driver

Postby Zabinskii » Mon May 24, 2021 12:44 pm

greenMachine wrote:Interesting!

Legality? Or track only?

:mrgreen:

road legal, will be getting it mod plated, place i spoke to said the would be happy to modplate and engineer everything, if worst comes to worst and they aren't happy with the 4.3L i can just swap it out for a 1UZ-fe VVti and it will be plug and play, these engines are identical apart from the bore. backup plans are in place.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”