Zabinskii's High Comp VVT Na6

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Zabinskii
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Zabinskii's High Comp VVT Na6

Postby Zabinskii » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:59 pm

Update time,
Sent all the bolts i could find from the engine bay and suspension and just about everywhere else on the car off for zinc plating.

sent a bunch of stuff off to powder coating, got it back 5 working days later :) happy with the results, to say the least.

after getting the control arms back from powder coating, i installed Zerk/grease fittings in the so i could grease the superpro poly bushes without having to remove all the control arms,

fuel rail fitting for the FPR, turns out the Subaru / Toyota fitting is the correct one

while i had the gearbox out i decided to inspect the throw out bearing after it was making some questionable noise when in use,
turns out it decided to eat the input shaft cover and off to amayama i went to order a new one :P

eventually got around to doing vacuum lines, AN-4 braided line as it was cheaper than normal vacuum hose and would be less likely to kink when in use,

then finally got around to mounting the civic radiator, didnt take too much effort to get it right, just alot of tedious measuring and re measuring :P

also ordered my ECU and have my Wideband ready to go aswell as the Serial input cable to suit, all thats left is custom cnc mandrel bent headers and then radiator coolant outlet has to be relocated to the other side of the radiator, and then coolant hardline for the reroute has to be welded up and mounted :)

till startup that is :P

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Re: Money pit V2.0 Na6 with NB8B running gear, and more.

Postby NitroDann » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:22 am

I particularly like this photo.

Great thread Paul. Thankyou.

Zabinskii wrote:Soooooo, this happened, well, is happening :P \

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

zossy1
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby zossy1 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:33 am

Very excited to see how this performs. Slightly disappointed you didn't go for more aggressive cams, but I understand your reasons :)

Zabinskii
Fast Driver

Postby Zabinskii » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:36 am

zossy1 wrote:Very excited to see how this performs. Slightly disappointed you didn't go for more aggressive cams, but I understand your reasons :)

hey hey hey, i went with 10.9mm of lift and 282/286 degree cams, plus if i feel these could be improved upon, i have two more sets of stock cams i can send off for base regrind :P its only 380$ total from new zealand :P

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:59 pm

Or mail them a sheep and get a discount.
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

Zabinskii
Fast Driver

Postby Zabinskii » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:03 pm

beavis wrote:Or mail them a sheep and get a discount.

You'd know about that wouldn't Ya ;)

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:08 pm

Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

Zabinskii
Fast Driver

Postby Zabinskii » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:12 pm

medium sized update :P

last time i left this the car was still the shitty old peeling green,

and the engine bay had been painted as well as put in,

but since then, car was taken back to bare metal to inspect for any damage or rust. and tadaa. only one tiny bit of damage along passenger side sil. (looks like it brushed a kerb)

then epoxy primered to seal it, followed by high fill and then lots of sanding

then went on to do green and clear :P

came out pretty good i think :P

off to the mechanical side of things, got new dust boots for my coilovers as they were torn but the coil overs were still good :) replaces bump stops while i was in there and cleaned up top hats

And mazda oem trigger wheel 36-1 trigger wheel

bought stuff to make my own headers,

then my ecu arrived a short time later

Now for my favourite part :P

i bought an exhaust of a fellow member (thanks beavis)
and bought a subtle little touch to go with it, to add character to a somewhat serious build :')

it will be a center exit with the tip angled slightly :P

got the doors back on and its starting to look like a car again,

started to get a lil sick of the stickers so i pulled em off , but when doing so i noticed a few little spots of orange peen on the rear quarters so i sanded them flat and will be giving them a polish sometime soon

also managed to get the front rotors and brakes on, just waiting on the brake pads i ordered then itll be final mounting and rims and front quarters can go back on for good :P

Garido
Fast Driver

Postby Garido » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:21 pm

Looking good Paul, though I will give you stick when I see those tips in person.

~ R

3gress
Racing Driver

Postby 3gress » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:26 pm

What an awesome build log. I thoroughly enjoyed my morning break reading through this and found a heap of inspiration to help me along with my own build. I was bogged down after stripping back my own engine bay and interior, and have been procrastinating before laying paint. Props for a well detailed build and thread.

Zabinskii
Fast Driver

Postby Zabinskii » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:33 pm

3gress wrote:What an awesome build log. I thoroughly enjoyed my morning break reading through this and found a heap of inspiration to help me along with my own build. I was bogged down after stripping back my own engine bay and interior, and have been procrastinating before laying paint. Props for a well detailed build and thread.

that happened to me when i stripped the car :P there were little areas that were a pain to strip, so it took me a few weeks of doing nothing to the paint work before i eventually got into it and finished it off :P

mx5002
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby mx5002 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:00 pm

I'm very keen to see progress on your headers when you get started.

I'm just going to match port my factory primaries. I already have upgraded secondries. I can't see the value in 900 bucks for a set of Rb headers atm.

Plus I love symmetry Image
GREEN ITB'd NB8B
SMSP south 1.04.30 SMSP GP 1:53:12 SMSP Brabham 2.21.11
Marulan 47.01
Wakefield 1.09.64 :D

Zabinskii
Fast Driver

Postby Zabinskii » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:02 pm

update, a bit overdue as a few things have happened,

sourced a tan dash

and a tan mohair glass window soft top,

then got a few things in from japan and went about mounting them in the engine bay as easily as possible.

used factory mounting locations and a very very overkill thick 90 degree angle to support it. have the block adapter as well.

NB wiring loom was modified to suit h4 bulbs and to make the headlight motors work as factory, up down with lights and from the switch,

got some goodies for 109$ to my door, was very happy with that deal, :P

oil cooler lines were also made up -10 stainless braided lines should do.

also started on a small batch of baffled catch cans almost like the original chikara ones, only doing a few for some mates, might go into producing a batch of 20 starting at $150 depending on what people want,

mounted up my dash and seats, decided against running floor carpet, instead did a coating with tub liner, a lot lighter and pretty damn durable,
got tan leather seats too from an nb8a, ill see how well they fit me while driving, if they arent well fitting or holding, i will sell them, look to have been reupholstered, really really good condition, always had seat covers on them until i got them, is a nice place to be when working on wiring and other little things if i may say so.

went about mounting the defi and the wideband, zoom zoom ahaha. the advanced zd is a really nice piece of kit, wired into tacho and speedo,

only waiting on a silicone joiner for the coolant reroute and my oil cooler core now :P

then we can do a first start and diagnostics.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:46 am

How long before on the road?

Interested on feedback on the B Spec pads. Not sure how they will go on the track as they have a max temp of 500°c, based on the temp they would be similar to a Winmax W2.

The location of the advanced zd may need to be reconsidered as it will be out of your peripheral vision unless you can install a separate warning light (which can be purchased for the Advanced ZD). Further the shift lights will almost be useless where it is installed. I have blown an engine because of gauges being out of sight (hence out of mind). A few people on Friday commented that sitting in my car the first impression was way too much information, but on the track it is not in your face. Rather it allows you to see what you need to (4 x tyre temps, rear view, IQ3 data, vbox data). The main point is the info needs to be seen without having to look around and or take your eyes off the road. The IQ3 controls 4 x warning lights/buzzer as well as shift lights, further the ECU will go into limp mode if the driver ignores the warnings :)

Garido
Fast Driver

Postby Garido » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:57 pm

This is one of my favourite builds, ever (not just in terms of roadsters). I'd have gone advics over pmu tho.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”