From Mexie ... to MXSE ...

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: From Mexie ... to MXSE ...

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:38 am

Very glad to hear your wife is on the road to recovery, Kev! That's wonderful news.

The exhaust looks great, so shiny and new. Dann makes a nice exhaust for sure. MXSE is rounding out very nicely.

Shame about people and their lack of consideration these days. Mine gets dríven everywhere, every day, I try to park in the safest spot I can find, but sometimes there's nothing you can do but roll the dice with the mouth-breathers. I've got a few scars to show for it too, but there's no point fussing over it while it's on regular duties.

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:46 pm

Good news about your wife mate. Glad to see you getting back into the car and that you're happy with NDs exhaust. I'm biased, but it's a great looking car. I do think the 15" wheels are the way to go though :)

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:46 pm

Thanks guys. We both feel extremely lucky. It would have been a completely different outcome had it not been found when it was. Very close call. It's pretty difficult watching her going through the chemo side effects, but we know it's worth it so it's just one day at a time ...

SKYHI wrote: I do think the 15" wheels are the way to go though :)

I know I keep saying this, but I don't mind the 17's :lol: but that said, I'm continually on the lookout for some 15's that appeal to me. I've actually become quite partial to the Enkei's after seeing Lachy's fitted. I didn't think they'd suit these cars, but his looks great. I still stand that I'll need to lower it though if I put 15's on and I'm not too keen on that idea ... yet :roll:

ManiacLachy wrote:The exhaust looks great, so shiny and new. Dann makes a nice exhaust for sure.

Yeah the workmanship is great, and the fitment perfect. Also, considering how busy and time poor Dann would be, he was pretty quick to respond to any queries I sent him along the way. He even got back to me just this morning after I sent him some feedback, and gave me some advice such that I'll be popping under the car again and checking a couple things out.

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:51 pm

Sorry to hear your wife has been through such a stressful time and that she still has months of chemo to endure but very glad there's a positive outcome.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:07 am

Okibi wrote:Sorry to hear your wife has been through such a stressful time and that she still has months of chemo to endure but very glad there's a positive outcome.
Thanks Dave. Lots ahead, but like I said, one day at a time. I mentioned previously that this forum has been a good distraction for me and I thank you and all the good people on here for that. I read through a few forums and Facebook pages from time to time but there's so much anx on most of them. This has always been a good place with genuine enthusiasts for the marque who respect each other and keeps it enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:20 am

Back on the car ... I need to loosen and re-tighten the three downpipe nuts, which means I have to remove the underbody braces again. Does that front silver tinny cover actually do anything? Cant imagine it strengthens anything it's too flexible. I'm thinking about leaving it off to make future access easier.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:04 am

You will notice a nicer ride with smaller wheels and a bigger sidewall. But with that bigger sidewall there will be a lot of black in the wheel arches unless you lower it. The Enkei's are nice, and they're a good price point, I'm very happy with them. You could just run the wheels for a while and see if you want to worry about the height, performance and comfort wise it will be a nice improvement, aesthetically it will take some getting used to.

I recently removed that silver thing, it has some material on there that I think is meant to a heat shield, but mine just collected oil from a slow weep in the RMS and plenty of rocks and gravel from the road.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:00 am

Glad to hear good news about your wife Kev.

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:13 am

KevGoat wrote:I know I keep saying this, but I don't mind the 17's :lol: but that said, I'm continually on the lookout for some 15's that appeal to me. I've actually become quite partial to the Enkei's after seeing Lachy's fitted. I didn't think they'd suit these cars, but his looks great. I still stand that I'll need to lower it though if I put 15's on and I'm not too keen on that idea ... yet :roll:

I personally didn't mind the look of the original 17s on my SE either, but Lachy is right in that the ride is better with the bigger sidewalls on the 15" tyres. It's a personal preference, but I also think the offset on the right set of 15" wheels also helps improve the look in filling out the guard a little better.

Lowering doesn't necessarily mean a decrease in ride quality either. Some of the MCA coilovers that I've tried are definitely an improvement in general ride quality than the stock Bilsteins.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:57 am

Agreed, if you get some coilovers geared towards the comfort end of the spectrum your ride should improve in both comfort and performance, not to mention appearance.

However, wheels + tyres + coilovers + alignment makes for an expensive hit all at once :shock:

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:47 am

ManiacLachy wrote:However, wheels + tyres + coilovers + alignment makes for an expensive hit all at once :shock:

Somewhat of a consideration at the moment. My wife luckily had 3 months sick leave banked, but that's been used. Now we're waiting for the income insurance to be approved. Told them we're single income, but still a while before they assess the claim. At least it's back paid if approved. She tried going back to work a couple days a week but only made the first week then the chemo effects hit.

We're also considering her retiring instead of returning to work, and enjoying some of those things we'd been putting off untill retirement. Our priorities have changed from securing our future to enjoying life while we know we can...

On the ride quality...I always reflect back to when I drove fastfreddy's beautiful black SE. His was lowered (quite a bit at the time) on Tein's, still on the heavier '05 17" SE wheels with 25mm spacers. I had my NB8A on stock suspension that was comfortable, but I was really impressed at the comfort alongside vastly improved handling of his car dríven in direct comparison over the day. There's a lot more choices with spring rates on more coilovers these days, so I'm quite sure I could get something that suits me.

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:45 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:I recently removed that silver thing, it has some material on there that I think is meant to a heat shield, but mine just collected oil from a slow weep in the RMS and plenty of rocks and gravel from the road.

Yeah mine was filled with stones and dirt and plant seeds and stuff. I was surprised how much crap was held there! Think I'll leave it off then ...

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:23 pm

That shield sounds like the equivalent on the NA - it gets loose and rattles causing owners to chase a mystery noise.

Custardtart
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Custardtart » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:17 pm

I’m actually really liking the oem 17” rims on your car and as an avid weight weenie and 15” lover I feel slightly bad for admitting it :lol:
NC1 - 2.5 opposite lock device
Lakeside 62.3

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:44 pm

Custardtart wrote:I’m actually really liking the oem 17” rims on your car and as an avid weight weenie and 15” lover I feel slightly bad for admitting it :lol:

Better not let Lokiel hear that ... :lol: :lol:

Following some feedback I sent to Dann after fitting the exhaust, he rang me back with some helpful advice. This was regarding one of the nuts on the downpipe - always an issue. I'd previously purchased some wobble bars and a stubby swivel 14mm socket that worked a treat when removing the stock downpipe and fitting the BEGi, but Dann's pipe is fatter and I couldn't get a socket onto the inside nut - the thread was almost against the pipe. He knew straight away what I'd done, which was finger tighten the easy nut to get to (through the wheel well) to hold the downpipe in place then tighten up the others. But this moves the whole pipe across against the thread I was having trouble with. Yesterday, I jacked the car up again and did what he'd suggested and it worked great. I could even get a normal 14mm socket on that nut using a swivel and tighten them all up properly.

The man's a legend ....... :lol:

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”