From Mexie ... to MXSE ...

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: From Mexie ... to MXSE ...

Postby Lokiel » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Glad to hear the good news about your wife.

A month ago a wonderfully vibrant lady I worked with passed away from breast cancer.
She'd been planning her 50th birthday vacation in Las Vegas with her friends when she found out about it and had to commence chemotherapy immediatelty. Unfortunately it was too late and she passed away not long after turning 50.

Things like that make you reassess your life, don't assume everything's OK or leave things until too late, enjoy them while you can.

KevGoat wrote:
Custardtart wrote:I’m actually really liking the oem 17” rims on your car and as an avid weight weenie and 15” lover I feel slightly bad for admitting it :lol:

Better not let Lokiel hear that ..
:

TOO LATE:
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:54 pm

Sometimes it's the simple things ...

... some el-cheapo plastic/chrome valve stem covers + caps from eBay.

And ... just another image of the beautiful fitment of Dann's exhaust compared to factory ...

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:39 pm

Almost 7 years ago to the day, I purchased a run down NA6 off a young lad - my best mate's son. This car became MEXIE and began a passion for the marque that I feel will remain forever....

Today my best mate told me he'd just been informed by the police his son had committed suicide last night.....

RIP Richard ... you'll be in my passenger seat with every drive ....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Blackmx52807
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby Blackmx52807 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:21 pm

sorry to here mate,

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:20 pm

:( that’s terrible news
MeepMeep

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:04 pm

:( too common these days, everyone please be nice to each other.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

bootz
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby bootz » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:19 pm

"RIP Richard ... you'll be in my passenger seat with every drive ...."

Eww Shades of "Christine" my fav S.King novel because its about cars

8yrs since I got my mexie so I have been following you with appreciation since you started. :D
Bootz and Boof - On the road to somewhere.

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:51 pm

Have that DVD and actually only watched it a few weeks ago .........

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:38 pm

Managed to find some time for myself this morning among all the stuff that's been going on lately. Dropped the top on MXSE and took her out for a 200+km run for her first decent "no passenger, give it some stick" drive since fitting the exhaust. I also wanted to check and set the mbc to the 11 psi boost it was tuned for now that finally everything has been fitted per the ChipTorque tune.

Dann's exhaust was the last piece of the tuned for items, and TBH before Dann gave me the info on his exhaust on another thread, I'd pretty much settled on what I already had and so it nearly didn't happen, but I've gotta say how much I'm loving this exhaust!! Not only does it sound great, but I'm surprised how much different the power delivery feels! Not just smoother, but feels like a significant power increase - not sure if just a "feeling" or a genuine power increase, but the car's acceleration all the way to rev limit is awesome! Even pottering through the villages at 40-50 kph and low revs there appears to be a torque increase and when accelerating to higher speeds the turbo spools up earlier and quicker.

A neighbor down the road (owns an STi, VF2 Redline SS and a couple of nice bikes, among other stuff) commented on how nice my car was sounding and how he could hear the turbo spooling as I drove past :D

The car has a very enjoyable split personality - mild mannered and easy to drive around in traffic like any "normal" car if wanted, or drop down a gear or two plant the foot and :shock: :twisted:

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:03 am

It's like you haven't even been listening to us telling you the benefits of the exhaust! :mrgreen: It definitely makes a difference to power delivery, maybe not the max HP, but certainly in spool giving you more power earlier, and Dann's sounds really nice.

I'm glad it's all going nicely on the car, you've woken up the power to a good comfortable level and managed to avoid many of the headaches that can occur. Maybe not all the power that you'd get with a standalone but most of it, and a standalone costs more and can be much more difficult while fine tuning. I think for a fun street car you've hit the perfect balance.

Now, about those wheels :twisted:

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:44 am

ManiacLachy wrote:It's like you haven't even been listening to us telling you the benefits of the exhaust! :mrgreen: It definitely makes a difference to power delivery, maybe not the max HP, but certainly in spool giving you more power earlier, and Dann's sounds really nice.

I'm glad it's all going nicely on the car, you've woken up the power to a good comfortable level and managed to avoid many of the headaches that can occur. Maybe not all the power that you'd get with a standalone but most of it, and a standalone costs more and can be much more difficult while fine tuning. I think for a fun street car you've hit the perfect balance.

Now, about those wheels :twisted:

LOL - ManiacLachy has "seen the light" regarding 15" rims on the MSM and is now preaching the word.

Regarding the exhaust:

When I was shopping around for an SE/MSM, I drove a couple and wasn't impressed at all. Coming from a Mitsubishi Starion, I had very definite ideas on what a turbocharged car should feel like and the stock SE/MSM was very underwhelming, you almost couldn't even feel the car boosting (supposedly it was tuned to feel like a small V6 so power delivery was meant to be smooth, no adrenalin boost rush intended).
The third car I test-drove, Gina, had the FM MSM downpipe and felt quite different to the previous two cars - dyno graphs of the FM downpipe vs the OEM downpipe show that boost comes on a lot earlier which is why the car felt different/better.

FM's downpipe still has the same 2" choke point at the turbo end as the OEM one so it still left a lot of room for improvement - FM never bothered to address this issue and kept flogging their half-arsed downpipe (it's better than the OEM one, but not as good as it should have been if they eliminated that choke point).

I subsequently upgraded the rest of the exhaust to the FM 2.5" system and didn't really feel any difference in power but it did sound good.
The dyno reported an additional 10 rwkw which is supposedly the minimum that most people can detect with their "butt dyno" so no surprise that I wasn't really sure if it had achieved anything after the initial drive.

Dann's exhaust will bring boost on much earlier than stock (power comes on earlier) and flows better too so should be good for at LEAST an additional 12rwkw.

This is a great time to be modding an NA/NB, we now have a lot of tried-and-trusted modz that users are vouching for so when you spend your $$$, you know that it's worth it.

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:51 am

I've been hearing y'all ... just have to do things " my way" mistakes and all

Exhaust has usually been my first upgrade to a car, but I've never felt a benefit like this one! Difference FI to NA! The BEGi dp has a similar restriction to the FM - I didn't realise this until I had Dann's sitting next to it. It was also noticeably more awkward to get a socket on to one particular nut due to the wider pipe at the flange - until Dann rang me back and explained the mistake I was making.

I've no doubt coilovers and wheels will happen ... my curiosity and desire to improve things will eventually get the better of me. I've been reading the coilover setup threads and can't help wondering how much better the BC's I tried on the NB8A could have felt, though now I'd go MCA or similar with lower spring rates for improved road comfort.

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:46 pm

KevGoat wrote::
And ... just another image of the beautiful fitment of Dann's exhaust compared to factory ...

That's the same exhaust-exit configuration I chose from Dann - I love it because it's so understated and looks even LESS ricer than the OEM version.
It's so understated that Mr. Plod wouldn't even look twice at it (and if he did he'd simply dismiss it as OEM since it's so "ordinary").

I still don't understand why "the young-uns" put ridiculous-sized fart cannons on their cars, they're just asking for a ticket.

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Postby NitroDann » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:00 pm

Watch this.

Sample 1: (what I think when I see it) "Probably has a 2" system and the car is pretty much stock."

Sample 2: "Probably has a 2" system and the car is pretty much stock."

Sample 3: "Probably has a 2" system and the car is pretty much stock."

Sample 4: "Probably has a 2" system and the car is pretty much stock."

Ok now lets go to exhausts like I send out..

Sample 1: "That's a 3" exhaust, the turbo probably needs it"

Sample 2: "That's a 3" exhaust, the turbo probably needs it"

Sample 3: "That's a 3" exhaust, the turbo probably needs it"

So... yeah.... I am with Lokiel.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:54 pm

Lokiel wrote:That's the same exhaust-exit configuration I chose from Dann - I love it because it's so understated and looks even LESS ricer than the OEM version.
It's so understated that Mr. Plod wouldn't even look twice at it (and if he did he'd simply dismiss it as OEM since it's so "ordinary").

When I ordered the exhaust I asked Dann if he would fit a chrome tip, I felt the "plain" exit wouldn't look right to me ... I am so glad Dann said no! As soon as I'd fitted the exhaust I loved how subtle, yet so perfect fitting it was. So much so that I removed the rear "Bear" tow hook for a more plain, oem sleeper look!

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”