Alex's white NA8 build.

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Alex's white NA8 build.

Postby greenMachine » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:29 pm

Alex 2550 wrote:Oh also have 949 racing wheel nuts that were gifted to me from Emilio at SuperMiata for helping him out with some stuff, great quality and saves about 144g total on the car. 36g per wheel.

They are nice but treat them with care. I have a trashed set of them somewhere, they are only 17mm and don't like rattleguns, mine scarred up quickly. I replaced them with an alloy set from Goodwins (I think), they are 19mm and have help up much better to the rattle gun. I don't let the rattlegun bang away on the wheels, I just get them firm and finish with a dedicated torque wrench - I think I started doing it that way when I noticed how bad the 949 nuts were.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Alex 2550
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby Alex 2550 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:15 am

greenMachine wrote:
Alex 2550 wrote:Oh also have 949 racing wheel nuts that were gifted to me from Emilio at SuperMiata for helping him out with some stuff, great quality and saves about 144g total on the car. 36g per wheel.

They are nice but treat them with care. I have a trashed set of them somewhere, they are only 17mm and don't like rattleguns, mine scarred up quickly. I replaced them with an alloy set from Goodwins (I think), they are 19mm and have help up much better to the rattle gun. I don't let the rattlegun bang away on the wheels, I just get them firm and finish with a dedicated torque wrench - I think I started doing it that way when I noticed how bad the 949 nuts were.

thanks so much mate, i always use a torque wrench so should be sweet but its good to know to be careful.
I don't suppose you have a 6 speed laying around you would like to sell? :D

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:28 am

Alex 2550 wrote:
greenMachine wrote:

thanks so much mate, i always use a torque wrench so should be sweet but its good to know to be careful.
I don't suppose you have a 6 speed laying around you would like to sell? :D

I have got a bit blasé about using the rattlegun on absolutely everything, trying to be a little more sparing of using it these days.

Funny you should mention gearboxes ... yes, I have a spare but until I make up my mind on whether I need a spare (ie what use I am going to make of my Kraken manifold :roll: ) I am going to sit on it. It is not like it is depreciating 8) ...

Build thread

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:13 pm

WARNING to those getting a wheel balance with 949 racing wheel nuts:
Replace your nuts with steel ones BEFORE balancing and swap them back when you get home.
It doesn't seem to matter how hard or nicely you ask a shop to use a hand torque-wrench only when fastening them, they'll simply use their rattle gun and tighten them up way beyond what's necessary, ripping the sh*t out of your aluminium nuts :(
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:20 pm

greenMachine wrote::
Funny you should mention gearboxes ... yes, I have a spare but until I make up my mind on whether I need a spare (ie what use I am going to make of my Kraken manifold :roll: ) I am going to sit on it. It is not like it is depreciating 8) ...

Cast NA/NB turbo manifolds are like "gold" in Australia, much like Garage Vary bonnets and hard-tops - sell them now and you may never be able to afford them again.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:24 pm

Lokiel wrote:WARNING to those getting a wheel balance with 949 racing wheel nuts:
Replace your nuts with steel ones BEFORE balancing and swap them back when you get home.
It doesn't seem to matter how hard or nicely you ask a shop to use a hand torque-wrench only when fastening them, they'll simply use their rattle gun and tighten them up way beyond what's necessary, ripping the sh*t out of your aluminium nuts :(

No tyre shop gets my MX-5. I take the wheels off, drive them over in another car and drop them off loose, then pick them up and put them back on the car myself!

Alex 2550 wrote:
ManiacLachy wrote:I think I might have to with hood vents of some sort, maybe the Singular vents? But I'd love a GV hood - I try to convince Lokiel to sell me his every time I go over :mrgreen:

Hahaha keep working on Lokiel, he will crack.... maybe.
I wish the middle singular vent didn't cut the bottom bit of the bonnet bulge, i like my bulge :lol: there is those other ones from the UK R-theory from memory?

Lokiel plays the long game, gathering parts, preparing for the day Gina sees direct sunlight once again! I don't see him giving the hood up easily :cry:

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:06 pm

I’m going into new ground with a Haltech engine safety system- keep us up to date how you go with yours mate.
StanTheMan wrote:sweet, Its not all about huge hp.

viewtopic.php?t=73496

Alex 2550
Racing Driver

Postby Alex 2550 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:08 pm

greenMachine wrote:Funny you should mention gearboxes ... yes, I have a spare but until I make up my mind on whether I need a spare (ie what use I am going to make of my Kraken manifold :roll: ) I am going to sit on it. It is not like it is depreciating 8) ...

hahahah I have a few feelers out to get me a 6 speed but if you change your mind I could pop up the hill :D

Alex 2550
Racing Driver

Postby Alex 2550 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:17 pm

Daffy wrote:I’m going into new ground with a Haltech engine safety system- keep us up to date how you go with yours mate.

will do mate, I got the fuel table pretty nice with the 640cc FF injectors (mine actually are about 651 according to flow card) and Walbro pump. starts well, idles well, drives well before going turbo.
I did over richen the table in boost, running little timing, afr safety control and over boost control so really im probably being overly cautious with only the 7psi im currently running. i still need to smoothen out the the fuel table but its getting there, i actually sat down the other night and was able to apply some smoothening to areas that are basically sorted.
I think I have the issue resolved but getting time to drive the car is hard at the minute, also with the AFR safety disabled ill get my wife to go co pilot and watch the AFR on Tuner studio like a hawk, times like these would be easier with a dyno :)

also thanks for the heads up Lokiel, i usually take my rims in. gives me an excuse to bang the stock NA8 wheels or N88B wheels on for a day :lol:

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:32 pm

Alex 2550 wrote:I think I have the issue resolved but getting time to drive the car is hard at the minute, also with the AFR safety disabled ill get my wife to go co pilot and watch the AFR on Tuner studio like a hawk, times like these would be easier with a dyno :)

I prefer to do this the other way, have someone else drive the car while I drive the laptop. You just need someone you trust, and finding someone I trust with the car is easier than finding someone I trust with the laptop! I need to do this again for some boost tuning actually.

Alex 2550
Racing Driver

Postby Alex 2550 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:33 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:
Alex 2550 wrote:I think I have the issue resolved but getting time to drive the car is hard at the minute, also with the AFR safety disabled ill get my wife to go co pilot and watch the AFR on Tuner studio like a hawk, times like these would be easier with a dyno :)

I prefer to do this the other way, have someone else drive the car while I drive the laptop. You just need someone you trust, and finding someone I trust with the car is easier than finding someone I trust with the laptop! I need to do this again for some boost tuning actually.

not a bad idea but my wife worries about breaking it....... i think the WRX made her shy :lol: 338AWKW WRX = many broken things hahaha.

949Racing
Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby 949Racing » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:25 am

greenMachine wrote:

You might have ours confused with another brand. Ours are 19mm hex and always have been. Forged 7075 T-6 heat treated. About as strong as an aluminum lug can get. The same lugs we use on our US 25hr endurance race championship cars, which we only use impact guns on. Just the same, an impact gun can dig through the anodized surface layer but won't affect the lugs strength or functionality.
American, but not fat

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:52 am

Oops :oops:

Looking very likely I will have to eat my words :oops: :oops:, I'll have to find those 17mm nuts and see if I can read the logo on them, obviously they are not from chez Emilio. Apologies for erroneously tarring your name :frown:

I have to say that Supermiata have got a lot of my money over the years and no doubt will get more!

Build thread

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:13 am

greenMachine wrote:I have to say that Supermiata have got a lot of my money over the years and no doubt will get more!

Me too, once the exchange rate comes back down :mrgreen:

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:04 pm

greenMachine wrote: ... I'll have to find those 17mm nuts and see if I can read the logo on them, ...

I found the buggers, 18 of them, I must have bought a couple of spares! All badly marked up by rattle guns except two that were half decent - but no logo. Interesting, I have a clear memory of a business name on the flat of the nut, might have been on some that I disposed of, or more likely it is age taking its toll!! There might have been something on the end cap, but the long wheel studs did for the caps the first time they went on. I checked the other site where I spend USD money, but nothing there that I recognise - of course these are nearly 20 years old probably and products come and go so who knows where these came from!?

So again my apologies to the Supermiata crew, and keep up the good work - I keep telling people here to get a set of those poly-bronze bushes, but the Aussie $ is killing any USD sales at the moment as ML pointed out. For myself, I am eying off one of those shift knobs ...

Build thread

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”