Daffy's SE

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Daffy's SE

Postby greenMachine » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:52 am

Sounds good Daffy, looking forward to progress, and your results with that G25. Are going to use E85?

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:52 am

greenMachine wrote:Sounds good Daffy, looking forward to progress, and your results with that G25. Are going to use E85?

Yep, I’ll be running the dual 98/E85 maps again mate. I’ll be getting Daz to measure up the axles as well for some ring gears, I want Matty to look at the Haltech traction control feature while its in for the tune.
StanTheMan wrote:sweet, Its not all about huge hp.

viewtopic.php?t=73496

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:18 pm

Yes, TC might just prove useful ... :wink:

Build thread

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:49 am

Daffy wrote:
greenMachine wrote:Sounds good Daffy, looking forward to progress, and your results with that G25. Are going to use E85?

Yep, I’ll be running the dual 98/E85 maps again mate. I’ll be getting Daz to measure up the axles as well for some ring gears, I want Matty to look at the Haltech traction control feature while its in for the tune.

Talk to Matty first. I don't know much about the implementation of TC, but you will need a speed reference, usually taken from the front wheel(s), though maybe GPS? He might be able to steal the Mazda ABS signal too, without disabling it, which would simplify things. Or go with the Teves Mk60 ABS, I believe that will output wheel speed, amongst other improvements, but that swap is not for the faint of heart ...

Build thread

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:16 am

Sorry to hear Daz has closed shop. What's the new venture? Something related or completely new? Glad to hear the PC is still coming though.

Hope you clear the covid-hangover soon, mate!

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:30 pm

:wink: :beer: New exhaust system has been built by Dave (new catback was required too), the new dump pipe looks amazing and will be going in for a ceramic coat. He was able to salvage some of the reworked intercooler piping too saving some $$$.
The dump pipe rework has also facilitated for ease of access, issues we don’t look hard enough into before.
Comparing the SE inlet manifold to the flat top really is chalk and cheese- it’s off to Ben’s now to port match facilitating the Skunk 2 throttle body, it will be interesting to see what tweaks Ben can impanelment when he runs his expertise over it. The new Go Fast Bits EX38 V-Band External Wastegate is sorted, just waiting now for the clutch and a couple of other “bits”……stay tuned folks. :wink: :beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

viewtopic.php?t=73496

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:56 pm

Who laid down for that last pic?

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:02 pm

bruce wrote:Who laid down for that last pic?

That was all 6 foot 3 of mechanic Daz :lol:

viewtopic.php?t=73496

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:41 pm

Thanks for the extra effort needed on that photo Daz, I've added it to my collection of underside MX5 shots since very few have the entire car in them.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:22 am

Needs a wheel alignment. Too much toe out on front and too much toe in on rear :D

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:03 pm

Ok, so the new go fast bits are in. To revise I now have;
Garrett G25-660 (V band) with external EX38 waste gate.
Custom fabricated high mount exhaust manifold (Pure Fab constructed)
Custom dump pipe, cold air and other piping, as well as a reworked stainless exhaust system, all work done by the semi retired Dave, who done all my previous work- and the reworked exhaust purchased from Maniac Lachy, (cheers mate).
There is a reworked by Ben flattop intake manifold, port matched to fit the Skunk 2 throttle body and opened up more for better flow. The radiator pipes have been moved over to the cold side, out of sight for a less cluttered look.

Left to do- the tune is booked in, then after the tune, it’s back to have a new stronger and quieter (sprung) clutch fitted, then finally off to have the shocks looked at.
The exhaust note is a little more quiet and I’m loving the new turbo whine sound! More to come folks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

viewtopic.php?t=73496

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:49 am

It's a good looking engine bay! I'm wondering how good you AC will work though? Mine struggles, but then it always has.

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:00 am

It’s coming together Daffy! Looking forward to hearing how the tune works out.

PaulF
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby PaulF » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:43 pm

Looking good! Should be an impressive power figure...

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:51 pm

Ok, so the upgrades are done, bringing the Problem Child into the modern era of turbo and with the new flat top, there is a LOT of air being pushed through. The engine performed brilliant on the dyno and the numbers have pushed WELL past the 400rwhp mark! (I’m going the World Wrestling mysterious masked man thing from parts unknown to let you all ponder just how far into the 400’s we got and on what boost!!) however I will say we can get much more- but at this stage the injectors are totally maxed out. One slight issue where the oil pressure senders diaphragm has blown out causing an oil leak issue, but the sender was due for replacing with the introduction of a couple of new Haltech pressure sensors, WB1 kit and a new multi gauge, all in order to set up with a solid engine protection management system- all this will be completed very soon. The Problem Child will be up and running next week with a new water pump in and some patch work till the Haltech engine protection system is in and programmed as well as the long awaited heavy duty ZF (sprung) clutch to finally get rid of the NVH.
I’ve had Dave make the exhaust note a little more quiet with definitely more emphasis on the sweet notes of the engine and turbo.

viewtopic.php?t=73496

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”