One Person Brake Bleeding Systems

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

gsu003
Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

One Person Brake Bleeding Systems

Postby gsu003 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi to those who like to get their hands dirty,
As the title suggests...................here is my story. I have used the super, super cheap one from Superwhatsies that is a clear tube with a one way valve at one end and a rubber tube at the other that fits over the bleeder nipple and it worked fine until the one way valve seized.
Yesterday I bought a vacuum system from the same place of which I thought was quite good quality for the purpose and the amount of use I have for it, BUT, the whole idea of the system is to create a vacuum but that can't be done as atmospheric pressure forces air down the bleeder nipple thread immediately evacuation of air begins and then when you crack the nipple, you get a small amount of fluid exit the brake system and a massive amount of air mixing with it to look like you have just opened a hot bottle of lemonade.
Great idea but obviously wasn't tested by the inventor.
Anyway, I took it back as it wasn't suitable for the purpose that it was promoted to do.
Tell me, was I doing something wrong??? OR is a 'high-tech' bleeder nipple required to use a vacuum system???

I don't want any 'high-tech' bleeder nipple as I use the car on the track and I don't want it turning 'low-tech' at a critical moment.

I searched here but could only find reference to a Sydchrome vacuum system but I can't see that would work either................any other suggestions please.

RS2000
Racing Driver

Re: One Person Brake Bleeding Systems

Postby RS2000 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:43 pm

I've always had success with this method:
- remove the ball & spring from the one man bleeder valve.
- leave the valve housing on the clear tube, to act as a weight, & place in a clear jar.
- add brake fluid to the jar to fully cover the housing bleed hole (used fluid ok)
- mount the jar ABOVE the caliper, & slightly crack the nipple.

After a few pumps you can't suck air back in as you release the pedal. Pump until the whole tube is bubble free. It's also a good idea to release pedal slowly, & don't depress right to the floor.

rascal
Racing Driver

Postby rascal » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:09 pm

I use a vacuum bleeder system, mine was a generic brand from autotools (http://www.autotools.com.au/catalogue/p ... 1/ATK3853B)

I first used it when I added ABS to my car and swapped all the booster/master/lines out, so had completely empty lines to bleed, as well as an empty master and ABS unit also.
Trick was to use slight trigger pressure so just enough pressure off the compressor to pull the fluid through, but not flat out as this just forced air past the tube connection to the nipple, and you couldn't tell when the bubbles from the caliper stopped.

For me this worked perfectly, and I only used 1/2 of the fluid I had bought thinking it would take forever to bleed through...

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:26 pm

I have a vacuum bleeder and it works a treat.

ImageDSCN3821 by Eipeip, on Flickr

Click on the picture for the video
ImageDSCN3820 by Eipeip, on Flickr

It works almost the same as a normal brake bleed process, but can be done by one person and relies upon vacuum to 'pull' the fluid through the system as opossed to using the brake pedal to 'force' fluid through the system:
1. Attach the hose to the bleed nipple.
2. Create an initial vacuum in the bleeder
3. Crack the bleed nipple
4. Switch the vacuum bleeder over to 'suck', pull the trigger to start the process
5. Manipulate the bleed nipple to control the flow
6. Nip the bleed nipple up when happy and then release the trigger on the vacuum bleeder

Points to take note:
a. The vacuum bleeder can drain fluid very quickly, make sure you keep an eye on the fluid level.
b. Do not exceed the recommended air pressure to the bleeder (nor any other air tool for that matter).
c. Check the bleed nipples to see that they are working properly and not blocked.

An alternative method is to force fluid through from the master cylinders

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Postby NitroDann » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Just crack the valve and put light shop air pressure into the master.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

gsu003
Driver

Postby gsu003 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:23 pm

Thanks Folks for your replies.
I like the idea of applying light air pressure at the master cylinder reservoir so it's a matter of getting a reservoir cap to attach the system.
So, between now and next time I change the fluid, I'll look around for something appropriate.

Anyway, I managed to round up my neighbor to pump the pedal so I'm ready for Sandown.

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:04 pm

If you're using a vacuum brake bleeder, you won't see a clear stream of fluid - you will see the fluid passing through along with air being sucked through the threads of the bleed nipple. You're not looking for the bubbles of air to stop.

With mine, it can suck heaps of fluid through in no time - I just nipped up the bleed nipple before turning off the air supply for the vacuum. Mine also came with a gadget that gravity feeds the master reservoir with fresh fluid, and keeps it from running dry.

lonesailor
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby lonesailor » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:28 pm

To bleed my(non ABS) brakes, or to change fluid, I just use a short length of 6mm clear pvc tube with a non return valve in the end which I put into a small clear bottle with a sufficient fluid to keep the end submerged.Then just work the pedal till the fluid in the tube runs clear. The NRV i use is one used in pneumatic systems which fits 4mm nylon tube. I am unfamilar with ABS systems so am unsure if this will work there

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:38 pm

I have the motive one, works well on the MX-5.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”