Kieron's NB MX-5 - Maxine

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

kiezon
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: Kieron's NB MX-5 - Maxine

Postby kiezon » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:19 pm

LED bulbs have arrived! That means I can finally complete the Revlimiter project.

Red T5 in the odometer location

HVAC panel comes off

The white T5s have a very nice hue to them

So long factory HVAC inserts!

I'll have to admit - applying the silicone sealant was a challenge to do clean and in a timely manner.

The HVAC panel looks like they should have been there from factory. Of course, with the exception of the racing driver... Notice the 'open vent' icon is a top down MX5?

kiezon
Fast Driver

Postby kiezon » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:38 pm

Now, I couldn't update this build thread simply for HVAC panels and a couple of LEDs...

Thanks to Zico aka @daijuku on Instagram for selling me these babies.

Ohlins Road & Track DFV coilovers with custom spring rates - they normally are supplied with 8kgs and 6kgs (front and rear, respectively), however, Zico opted for 10kgs and 7kgs spring rates. These are used, however, Zico has informed me that he drove less than 3,000kms on these and most likely much less. Did I mention these are only about 4 months old?

Install day! Given that I've installed a handful of coilovers over the years, these should be quite straight forward...

Goodbye to the original 2.92.1kgs springs!

Rears are in first.

Then the fronts!

Truly beautiful. I never thought I'd own a set of Ohlins suspension.

And finally, a few photos of ride height...

Here's a photo of the rear tyre clearance. I may try a set of 3mm spacers to give me a better idea of what offset I should order for the Work Meister S1 2P wheels.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:52 pm

Awesome! I've been eyeing off some of the RevLimiter HVAC inserts for a while and it'll be on my list later this year I think. Your's all came together really nicely.

Sitting pretty on those Ohlin's too, any review on the ride yet? Why did the PO remove them?

kiezon
Fast Driver

Postby kiezon » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:31 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:Awesome! I've been eyeing off some of the RevLimiter HVAC inserts for a while and it'll be on my list later this year I think. Your's all came together really nicely.

Sitting pretty on those Ohlin's too, any review on the ride yet? Why did the PO remove them?

The ride quality is a huge step up from factory. Non-SE NBs came with under dampened shocks and so they felt very crashy over rough roads. The Ohlins make the car feel like a more modern car. Handling is superb. The car rotates so well around corners!

The previous owner upgraded to Xidas in an attempt of chasing lap times, haha.

Can anyone shed any light on Racing Beat front sway bars (1.125" vs 1.25") with the Super Miata/SE 14mm rear bar vs the SE/MSM front and rear sway bar setup? Specifically for the NB8B/C.

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:04 pm

In my opinion, you’re better off with the stock anti roll bars with the higher spring rates you have in the coil overs.

The ARB adds spring rate in the form of roll resistance and so does the higher spring rates in the coil overs. You get negative camber gain when the car is allowed to roll which is a good thing for grip.

Unless you are using really sticky tyres, the extra roll resistance from an up rated ARB and coil over spring rates may actually rob you of grip rather than add to it.

Anyway, no harm in experimenting to see what you like.

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:18 pm

kiezon wrote:
ManiacLachy wrote::
Can anyone shed any light on Racing Beat front sway bars (1.125" vs 1.25") with the Super Miata/SE 14mm rear bar vs the SE/MSM front and rear sway bar setup? Specifically for the NB8B/C.

The MSM/SEs rear sway bar is 14mm.
Racing Beat recommend their 1.25" front sway bar for MSM/SEs but most owners prefer the 1.125" bar (search http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/ for details).

If you do decide to use the 1.25" bar, you MUST get the Racing Beats "Bolts and Brace" kit, or an alternate sway bar mount kit, because the NB's sway bar mount is quite flimsy and will bend/tear-off with the stiffer sway bar.
This has also happened with OEM sway bears so it's good insurance to get the "Bolts and Brace" kit anyway since it's cheap and easy to install.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

kiezon
Fast Driver

Postby kiezon » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:49 am

Lokiel wrote:
kiezon wrote:
ManiacLachy wrote::

The MSM/SEs rear sway bar is 14mm.
Racing Beat recommend their 1.25" front sway bar for MSM/SEs but most owners prefer the 1.125" bar (search http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/ for details).

If you do decide to use the 1.25" bar, you MUST get the Racing Beats "Bolts and Brace" kit, or an alternate sway bar mount kit, because the NB's sway bar mount is quite flimsy and will bend/tear-off with the stiffer sway bar.
This has also happened with OEM sway bears so it's good insurance to get the "Bolts and Brace" kit anyway since it's cheap and easy to install.

Thanks Lokiel. You'll be pleased to know that I've already ordered a pair of Naroh Motorsports sway bar support blocks for this reason. More for reassurance that the OEM mounts won't snap with the heavier spring rates.

I did some research on the Racing Beat bars and yes, I've read the same as well. I may order the 28mm (1.125") bar and the Supermiata rear bar (14mm adjustable) to match.

RS2000
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby RS2000 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:13 am

My NB8A track car was neutral handling with 11 / 7 kg springs & Signature 24mm F / 14mm R sway bars.
Then I added front sway mount stiffening blocks & it became an understeering pig, even with the front bar fully soft & rear fully hard.
There must be a lot of flex in the mounts, so I'd try your car with the stiffening blocks & standard sway bars initially.

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:05 am

RS2000 wrote:My NB8A track car was neutral handling with 11 / 7 kg springs & Signature 24mm F / 14mm R sway bars.
Then I added front sway mount stiffening blocks & it became an understeering pig, even with the front bar fully soft & rear fully hard.
There must be a lot of flex in the mounts, so I'd try your car with the stiffening blocks & standard sway bars initially.

This is exactly what I’m planning to do with mine. I have a set of the stiffening blocks from GreenMachine, which I’m going to try out with the OEM bars.

lucmor444
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby lucmor444 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:02 pm

Where are the Norah Motorsport sway bar brace blocks available from? Norah seems to have gone out of business but hoping someone, somewhere still has some in stock.

kiezon
Fast Driver

Postby kiezon » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:43 pm

lucmor444 wrote:Where are the Norah Motorsport sway bar brace blocks available from? Norah seems to have gone out of business but hoping someone, somewhere still has some in stock.

I purchased them from eBay and used Shop Mate via Auspost to send them to my address.

lucmor444
Racing Driver

Postby lucmor444 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:17 pm

Thx - looks like they have all gone:(

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:06 am

lucmor44 check your inbox! :D

manga_blue
Forum Guru

Postby manga_blue » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:00 pm

Roll stiffness ≠ speed

I had neutral handling with 10/7 springs and NO sway bars. That's where I set my fastest lap times. The only problem was some braking instability on bumpy tracks (esp coming into turn 10 at Wakie where truck racing had rolled the asphalt up like carpet)

I lost a few tenths from refitting OEM sways but I felt a bit safer under brakes

At one stage I tried Whiteline 24/16 adjustable sways on 10/7 springs. Car was dead flat and had buggar all grip
’95 NA8

lucmor444
Racing Driver

Postby lucmor444 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:48 pm

Red_Bullet wrote:lucmor44 check your inbox! :D

Thx Red_Bullet!

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”