Kieron's NB MX-5 - Maxine

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

kiezon
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: Kieron's NB MX-5 - Maxine

Postby kiezon » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:48 pm

Ordered a set of braided brake lines from Automotive Plus. Using Motul RBF600 fluid for the flush.

Purchase a used steering column as I damaged the universal joint on the intermediate shaft as I was pushing the car onto the street while the battery was completely flat. Hence having order new bolts. I'll have Peter from Road & Race Rydalmete perform the replacement of the intermediate shaft.

Received a new shift boot from Amayama to replace the torn item currently in the car.

Drove up a servo driveway a little too quickly while the wheels were turned and buckled the driver's front guard. Did a quick repair, however, there remains a small dint and a ripple at the lip.

Before:

After:

Also, the Naroh Motorsports sway bar brace kit arrived this week. I purchased these after seeing them from an OMGMIATA video. I prefer this design over the Racing Beat as they should spread the load better against the chassis.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:25 pm

I'm surprised you managed to do that to the fender lip! How much camber do you have up front? You did a pretty good job pulling the dent though. Maybe give it a roll so it doesn't happen in the future?

Those sway blocks do look better than the RB ones. I hated those blocks, well I hated the one that was above the intercooler pipe on the intake side! It was a massive PIA to unbolt.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:22 pm

kiezon wrote:Purchase a used steering column as I damaged the universal joint on the intermediate shaft as I was pushing the car onto the street while the battery was completely flat. Hence having order new bolts. I'll have Peter from Road & Race Rydalmete perform the replacement of the intermediate shaft.

Looks almost like mine!

(not) :lol: 8)

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

RS2000
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby RS2000 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:50 pm

kiezon wrote:Purchase a used steering column as I damaged the universal joint on the intermediate shaft as I was pushing the car onto the street while the battery was completely flat.

How did the universal get damaged?

kiezon
Fast Driver

Postby kiezon » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:02 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:I'm surprised you managed to do that to the fender lip! How much camber do you have up front? You did a pretty good job pulling the dent though. Maybe give it a roll so it doesn't happen in the future?

Those sway blocks do look better than the RB ones. I hated those blocks, well I hated the one that was above the intercooler pipe on the intake side! It was a massive PIA to unbolt.

Not enough camber, apparently lol. Haven't taken it to get aligned since installing the Ohlins.

The sway bar blocks are just fiddly to tighten up.

kiezon
Fast Driver

Postby kiezon » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:05 pm

greenMachine wrote:Looks almost like mine!

(not) :lol: 8)

:mrgreen:

I had Jan from the Facebook group send me this one without any photos prior to shipping. Just said he'd send me his best column? The intermediate shaft looks quite good. We'll probably take it apart and swap them over.

kiezon
Fast Driver

Postby kiezon » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:08 pm

RS2000 wrote:How did the universal get damaged?

Thought I could start the car by clutch starting down the driveway until I realised the battery was completely flat. Both front wheels were at the ditch of the driveway and hence a lot of load on the steering components when trying to push it out of the ditch. Truly an ignorant mistake attempting to force the wheel to turn while in the ditch.

We only learn by doing as some say...

RS2000
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby RS2000 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:16 am

? I would hope that the steering gear takes more load than what's applied there.
Especially for those of us with wide sticky tyres & disconnected power steering!

ralt
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby ralt » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:46 am

Hi.
Great looking car just one thing why do not you clean the underside. What a mess.

kiezon
Fast Driver

Postby kiezon » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:43 pm

ralt wrote:Hi.
Great looking car just one thing why do not you clean the underside. What a mess.

I do foam the under carriage with whatever is left in the foam cannon. Though, I don't think your comment is necessary on my thread.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”