Custard’s Tart

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Custardtart
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: Custard’s Tart

Postby Custardtart » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:35 am

There’s always something to do, now the starter motor has packed up. I know from fitting the 2.5 that replacing the starter motor in these requires the hands of a baby and dexterity of a card shark, neither of which I possess, so I look forward to the knuckle scrapes!
NC1 - 2.5 opposite lock device
Lakeside 62.3

Snowmotion
Racing Driver

Postby Snowmotion » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:43 am

Good luck, sounds like how i feel after spending the weekend removing sound deadening material from the car and fitting the dash around the full cage.
NB8A| WP 1:15.6 | SMP-S 1:08.56 | SMP-N 1:21.35
NC1| WP 1:09.42 | SMP-S 1:03.191 | SMP-N 1:16.1856 | SMP-GP 1:48.288

Custardtart
Racing Driver

Postby Custardtart » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:10 pm

Hmmm not having much luck with ordering stuff at the moment. My brake rotors were supposed to be in early this week and no sign, my pads haven't even shipped yet from the UK so they won't arrive in time. my hans and helmet have apparently held at customs for over two weeks, the starter motor company from ebay have taken my money from my bank account and I paid express postage to be here this week but haven't had any emails at all from them (most odd from an ebay seller) and the item isn't showing up in my purchase history!
I'm getting pretty nervous as I can see all the items turning up the week after the race!
Lakeside 62.3

Tim_cyc03
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby Tim_cyc03 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:05 pm

I have a spare hans and helmet if you need them for the weekend.

If you need NC stuff in a hurry, Paul Ansell or James Hay might be able to help you out for the weekend, I can ask them if you want...?

Custardtart
Racing Driver

Postby Custardtart » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:09 pm

Tim_cyc03 wrote:I have a spare hans and helmet if you need them for the weekend.

If you need NC stuff in a hurry, Paul Ansell or James Hay might be able to help you out for the weekend, I can ask them if you want...?

That’s awesome, thanks Tim. I was told today the Hans/helmet will be here Friday, same with discs. I’ve sourced a second hand starter which is being express shipped from Melbourne and got some pads hopefully here by Thursday so fingers crossed it’ll all come together this weekend.
Lakeside 62.3

MrTurkey
Driver

Postby MrTurkey » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:35 pm

Custardtart wrote:
Tim_cyc03 wrote:I have a spare hans and helmet if you need them for the weekend.

That’s awesome, thanks Tim. I was told today the Hans/helmet will be here Friday, same with discs. I’ve sourced a second hand starter which is being express shipped from Melbourne and got some pads hopefully here by Thursday so fingers crossed it’ll all come together this weekend.

Tell me more about the Hans/helmet package. I am looking to get one sorted but will have to trek down to Melbs to try/buy I think.

Also, the A050 tyres, DO IT!!! They are amazing. Coming from AR1's in a smaller size and my crusty old Z221's (age is the factor with them) the A050's carry so much more corner G's. Be careful on your clutch with these too, they don't spin up so easy...

Custardtart
Racing Driver

Postby Custardtart » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:45 pm

MrTurkey wrote:
Tell me more about the Hans/helmet package. I am looking to get one sorted but will have to trek down to Melbs to try/buy I think.

Also, the A050 tyres, DO IT!!! They are amazing. Coming from AR1's in a smaller size and my crusty old Z221's (age is the factor with them) the A050's carry so much more corner G's. Be careful on your clutch with these too, they don't spin up so easy...

Arrived today, haven’t had a chance to properly check it out.
https://pro1raceparts.com.au/product/za ... lat-black/
Would love to get some AO50’s but I have a near new set of NT01’s that need destroying first :lol:
Lakeside 62.3

Custardtart
Racing Driver

Postby Custardtart » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:54 pm

My race pads turned up yesterday, have gone with Hawk Blue’s. Will be interesting to see how they go.
Got my 5 point harness and fixed back seat installed on some custom made mounts which bolt to the stock mounting holes and use the same bolts.
Also got some pipe ducting to make up a bit of extra brake cooling.
The only thing I’m waiting for is the Aussie made DBA rotors which were ordered 2 weeks ago and I was promised last week would be here mid this week and have yet to show up!
I also have a new starter motor to fit so a busy weekend ahead.
Lakeside 62.3

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:47 pm

Hawk Blues, hopeless in road car, don't work at all when cold, effective on track once hot. Very abrasive on rotors, 1 set of pads = 1 set of rotors, plus they expel molten iron onto your wheels that doesn't clean off, embeds molten rotor/pad material on your wheels which then oxides (rust). I bet the price convinced you to buy them. I used them for a couple of sets, Great on the track if you don't mind the downsides I mentioned. My land of happy brake pad world is the PFC-11. Not sure if they make them for the NC though. Great pad life, kind on rotors, do kinda work when cold, no obvious downside so far.

Custardtart
Racing Driver

Postby Custardtart » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:00 pm

Red_Bullet wrote:Hawk Blues, hopeless in road car, don't work at all when cold, effective on track once hot. Very abrasive on rotors, 1 set of pads = 1 set of rotors, plus they expel molten iron onto your wheels that doesn't clean off, embeds molten rotor/pad material on your wheels which then oxides (rust). I bet the price convinced you to buy them. I used them for a couple of sets, Great on the track if you don't mind the downsides I mentioned. My land of happy brake pad world is the PFC-11. Not sure if they make them for the NC though. Great pad life, kind on rotors, do kinda work when cold, no obvious downside so far.

Thanks for the feedback, I haven’t heard of the PFC-11 but will check it out.
Sadly my chosen pads failed to turn up so I was limited by availability. For racing I don’t mind wear rates, just performance. They will be swapped out for road use.
They will see 1 qualifying and 3 x 15 lap races next weekend.
Lakeside 62.3

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:08 am

Gotta put this in my calendar, is it Saturday or Sunday? I might drop by for a look at the shenanigans.

Custardtart
Racing Driver

Postby Custardtart » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:09 am

Red_Bullet wrote:Gotta put this in my calendar, is it Saturday or Sunday? I might drop by for a look at the shenanigans.

It’s the Lakeside Tribute weekend and runs Sat morning and Sunday arvo.
https://qldraceways.com.au/competition/ ... de-tribute
I don’t have a timetable yet so not sure when exactly we’ll be on track but there’s some great series as well as the Prod Sports.
Lakeside 62.3

The Zork
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby The Zork » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:35 am

Red_Bullet wrote: My land of happy brake pad world is the PFC-11.

What is the best source for an SE in Australia?

RS2000
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby RS2000 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:00 am

Red_Bullet wrote:Hawk Blues, Very abrasive on rotors, 1 set of pads = 1 set of rotors, plus they expel molten iron onto your wheels that doesn't clean off, embeds molten rotor/pad material on your wheels which then oxides (rust).

Exactly what I found! With white BC P1 Racing wheels, I had to use a hard plastic scraper & cutting compound, but never got them totally clean.
Carbotech XP10 are great, but expensive.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:48 am

The Zork wrote:
Red_Bullet wrote: My land of happy brake pad world is the PFC-11.

What is the best source for an SE in Australia?

Got mine out of the USA a few years back, bought 3 sets to make the shipping viable. Still expensive though. But having said that they are lasting really well and not eating rotors. So worth the money in my view.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”