More Wiper trouble

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

More Wiper trouble

Postby Rocky » Thu May 17, 2018 2:40 pm

In May 2016 I found my Wipers didn't work (they had never been used in 15 yrs of ownership).
My (then) backyard mechanic managed to break the Wiper motor causing it to burn out and starting an expensive repair process that is too involved to go into here. Eventually the reputable Auto Electrician that I should have gone to on Day 1 fixed the problem - (well it was fixed then).
Today I got caught in a shower and guess what - Wipers don't work.
Makes me wonder if this is a relay thing. They haven't been used since the last time so this may have been the problem all along. It was the first thing my ex-Backyard bloke thought of but he couldn't find the Wiper Relay.
I have the Workshop Manual but it does not show where the Relay is either.
Anyone know where the Relay for the Wiper Motor is on the NB8B?
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: More Wiper trouble

Postby hks_kansei » Thu May 17, 2018 3:05 pm

I suspect the relay is up behind the dash, on the right hand side of the steering wheel.

Whenever my wipers activate I can hear a relay click from that area.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: More Wiper trouble

Postby Rocky » Mon May 21, 2018 12:29 pm

OK - dropped in to my Auto Electrician this am.
He did his tests and pronounced the previously replaced wiper motor fine but the problem is the switch in the steering column.
This will have been the original problem two years ago when my backyard mechanic broke the wiper motor due to his 'ham-fisted' approach putting it back together, setting in train a process that cost me his fee plus several hundred dollars to get my Auto Electrician to sort it out.
I just told him to order a new switch.
Just as a matter of interest, he is of the opinion that the relay is also part of the switch on the steering column.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”