The Red Green Machine

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: The Red Green Machine

Postby Lokiel » Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:19 pm

Plumbing the hot-side is difficult with P/S and A/C so you'll likely end up with MSM OEM-side hot-side routing.
Getting rid of the steel pipes is a MUST given that they're likely coated in rust by now.

You can save money by supplying an e-Bay intercooler pipe kit and get the installer to cut/assemble the required routing,
I created a prototype from alu pipe and silicone elbows and gave it to a welder with the eBay intercooler pipe kit and told him to make it all in one piece from the eBay kit.
It turned out fantastic, nice and clean, the hotside plumbing only requires 2x Si couplers, one to the turbo and one to the intercooler.
I was only charged for the time spent on the job which wasn't long because they had the prototype to work with (they didn't have the car) so could do it all on the bench and they weren't constantly testing the fit on the car and measuring based on that - that's where MOST of the time goes.
I did have to establish with them up front that I couldn't complain if it didn't fit because they only had the prototype to work with (I had alignment marks on the prototype's silicone hoses and pipes in case they shifted and we both verified them before and after the job).

Cold-side plumbing is much easier, just be sure that the TB elbow doesn't interfere with coolant hose (usually not an issue with a good aftermarket intercooler, most move it to the extreme cold-side).
The wastegate actuator will likely dictate how you clock the turbo (ie. MAKE SURE IT DOESN'T HIT THE CLOSED BONNET).
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:19 am

greenMachine wrote:Short answer, yes. Some of the ac lines etc are being moved, and I have in mind your experience putting some around that area.

Would you suggest putting some on the tunnel before the exhaust is fitted up?

:mrgreen:

I put some DEI reflective heat shielding up on the trans tunnel a while back, it has minimal effect, but probably worth it while it's easily accessible.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:47 am

Hmm, I had a reply to this, but where did it go ... :?: :(

Yes, will be talking to Mania this morning. I wish I could just drop around, sucks being two or three hours away.

I looked at your posts about it, but it never seems to have made it onto my list of things to ask about - it has now. 8)

I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:06 am

Some time back I think I reported that my hoist was up but that I was having difficulty actually getting it to work.

After a lot of fiddling and taking things apart and putting them back together, with zero effect on it fixing whatever was wrong, I decided that I needed to call in an expert if it was ever going to rouse from its slumber. So this evening he called in on his way back from the coast, where after looking at the master switch, he prodded the buttons ... and it worked!! WTF!! Seems like the 'up' switch which activates the pump has two stages, the second a firm pressure. Given my lack of progress, maybe I would have stumbled on it, but with the barge needing a close look at the front suspension as soon as I have the MX back, that was the best $50 I have spent in a long while!

Excuse me now, I need to go back down there and have another play with my new toy ... :lol: 8)

Build thread

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:49 am

I'm sure there's a manual somewhere that explained it, but reading it would go against being a man! :mrgreen:

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:21 pm

Yeah, you are right Lachy :cry: I thought I was on top of it, I have operated the Carco hoists frequently when my car was up there and this is the same even if the name is different.

So, next day I go down, and bugger me, it isn't working :shock: :? :frown: :x :( :cry: If had any hair I would have torn it out! Long story short, turns out the emergency stop button (which fortunately I had never had occasion to use at Carco) is not just a momentary switch, if you rotate it while pressed the switch locks in place :oops: It is obvious now that Warren the Hoist Whisperer saw that and released it, it had nothing to do with the green button. Now I am wondering if he reset it that way while I got my wallet ... :?

Anyway it is working (again), I need to tweak the adjustment so that the arms are exactly level - currently one side is 10mm higher than the other. And continue returning the workshop to that status, as it has been slowly turning into a storage facility but now I need to fit a car in there with enough room to comfortably walk around it. I see a trailer load of excess stuff heading to the tip ...

Build thread

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:23 pm

Only 7 sleeps to go ...

Build thread

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:28 am

I'm subbing in for Lokiel who apears a little swamped by work these days, and providing the appropriate gif.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:44 pm

... and you are doing a great job!

Build thread

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:58 pm

... four sleeps ... :D 8)

Took a load of workshop rubbish to the tip yesterday. Now loading trailer with residual leftovers from the three cars I dismantled, what hasn't been sold, and isn't likely to be used on my car will follow it next weekend.

Build thread

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:24 pm

Convo with mania this evening ... Friday is D-Day.

I am hearing some nice numbers before the EBC is connected, starting to think about the gearbox ... :frown: ... might give it an oil change, t'be sure. What are people using these days?

Three sleeps ... :D

Build thread

StillIC
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StillIC » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:40 pm

greenMachine wrote:....Now loading trailer with residual leftovers from the three cars I dismantled, what hasn't been sold, and isn't likely to be used on my car will follow it next weekend.

Anything you'd be willing to give away rather than dumping it? Photos??
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:13 pm

Anything is possible ... 8) :D

I have a draft consolidation post of all that is left, a last fling of the dice. I'll probably post it tomorrow or over the weekend.

Let me know by PM what you are interested in, and we can take it from there.

Build thread

StillIC
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StillIC » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:47 pm

greenMachine wrote:....
Let me know by PM what you are interested in, and we can take it from there.

Thanks. There isn't anything I *need*, but the hoarder in me hates to see useful stuff that I might need in the future going to the crusher/recycler/landfill. I did need a clutch master cylinder last week, but bought a cheap aftermarket one from Mania (to be disappointed with its too large reservoir that impedes my wiring).
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:00 pm

greenMachine wrote:
I have a draft consolidation post of all that is left, a last fling of the dice. I'll probably post it tomorrow or over the weekend.

MeepMeep

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”