The Black Rat

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: The Black Rat

Postby Lokiel » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:21 am

Interesting the peak and trough before 4500rpm, like a small cough, otherwise tune looks awesome.

Please post your thoughts on driving it on the track, would love to hear what's actually practical/useable.
Years ago a former member with a green NB8A GT2560 said that 270rwhp scared the hell out of him at times.

Also, hold out on rims until Emilio's new rims become available.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:40 am

I think that blip is endemic to BPs, probably a harmonic or something in the inlet tract.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:43 am

Lokiel wrote:Also, hold out on rims until Emilio's new rims become available.

I wouldn't be holding out waiting for 949s new rims, unless you are happy waiting till well into next year before you get them.

949 has a history of pushing back timelines. Typically its to further improve the product that testing showed undesired results, which is admirable, but I wouldnt be ordering any wheels until they had already shipped to US customers.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:18 am

Plus with Covid you may as well add another year on top of that.

plohl
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby plohl » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:26 am

AP's on BF's car and R33 GTR brakes on the Whittaker's car.
Tim (Zoomzoom) has just built a new set of brakes using some Alcon callipers - He was running R33 brakes, but was destroying rotors and pads pretty easily. The hats for the new rotors have 10mm spacers built into them.
There are some other turbos running superlites - similar to the new Supermiata/949 kit. The supermiata kit has the best brake cooling option I think. The V8R and similar rotor hats are more concerned about weight than cooling.

With the amount of stuff we've learnt on brakes in the last year, I could possibly help put something together for you, get stuff machined locally.

Because of the steering arm, any increase in rotor thickness results in the the over all package sitting further out, hence why you need the spacers. Supermiata are recommending the wider rims because you've got more outboard room for the same offset.

thicker rotors = thicker callipers = wider track = more load on wheel bearings...

Also - the dyno dip could be because of the dyno struggling to keep up with the massive increase in torque. Usually to do with how the software is set up to control the ramp rate of the dyno, PID settings etc.
Cheers,
plohl

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:11 am

And then you have to find the right set of rims that fit over your brakes, and don't stick way outside the guards.

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:54 am

Lokiel wrote:Please post your thoughts on driving it on the track, would love to hear what's actually practical/useable.
Years ago a former member with a green NB8A GT2560 said that 270rwhp scared the hell out of him at times.

The White Mouse has a 2560 and is tuned at 256hp, which I have gotten used to. It now feels like it needs more in 3rd gear and onwards. For example it does not have enough torque in third to comfortably push through a mild slide balanced on the throttle.

There is no doubt though, that this will need boost by gear for first and second

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:17 pm

bruce wrote:And then you have to find the right set of rims that fit over your brakes, and don't stick way outside the guards.

I’m building a nice collection of templates which can be tested against wheels and compared to each other.

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:34 am

With the gearbox and diff centre still in fairyland somewhere, I’ve started pulling the car apart again to fit new suspension bushings (delrin via SADFab), coilovers (Shockworks) and hubs (MR2 rears courtesy of Plohl and Brofab E30 for the front thanks to GreenMachine).

Some extended lower ball joints will also go on at this point.

There is also still a small oil leak on the drivers side somewhere. I went back though my parts pile and I suspect the lower copper crush washer on the VVt oil supply is the culprit.

Before putting it back on back stands, I did drive it once around the block. It swats ridiculously on the stock suspension when you press the accelerator. It reminds me of what it’s like to take off from a standstill in a aluminium dingy. Definitely looking forward to taking it to a track next year sometime (or whenever the gearbox and diff are done….)

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:53 pm

I'm picturing it squatting like a drag car taking off from the lights (bum down, fronts barely touching the ground).

PaulF
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby PaulF » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:40 am

bruce wrote:I'm picturing it squatting like a drag car taking off from the lights (bum down, fronts barely touching the ground).

A bit like this guy?
11 second turbo Miata

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:38 am

Stealing images from MTnet again Paul?

They say great minds think alike, that was the picture in my mind when I read Bruce's comment, and you beat me to it! :NETPOINTZ:

Build thread

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:48 am

Touché.

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:11 pm

That will be Sonofthehill!

Really enjoy his enjoyment of his car. He’s done the work to practice his craft - very impressive what he’s able to extract from that machine.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:20 pm

That's him. At first I didn't pay much attention to him, because y'know, drag car and all.

But when I started reading his thread, my eyes were opened! It doesn't hurt that he is racing a Grace Green NB8A either!! That car rocks!

Build thread

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”