The Black Rat

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Re: The Black Rat

Postby The American » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:35 am

The Black Rat has taken another step forward, finally.

The transmission build saga did not quite come to end until recently.
Essentially, the gearset did not fit the case did not space to the satisfaction of the transmission builders, so they had to manufacture some additional parts to rectify. In addition, they designed, 3d printed, test fitted as prototype and then machined a circlip arrangement, essentially equivalent to the “circlip mod” for 4th gear, but to suit this gearset. They are confident that what I have now will stand up to the intended use.

After two and a half years, I finally have the transmission I set out to get!

The rear main seal on the new engine leaked on the dyno, and about a year ago I had a shop replace it for me (no hoist at home, remove and refit gearbox on my back not my favourite job) and it still leaked. I decided not to deal with it until the transmission was ready, to save a remove/refit. So, last week Automotive Plus sorted the leak for me and swapped in the new transmission.

I’ve dríven it in first gear only, onto my trailer, so no real impressions yet other than that - surprise, surprise - it is going to make some gear noise!

The transmission requires a 300km, light use run in period, then fluid change/check. So, next step will be a full but/bolt check, fit basic safety gear, get a wheel alignment and then book in for a practice/test tune day somewhere, perhaps at Morgan Park.

In other news, I’m moving house, and the new place does not have a shed. It will eventually, but in the mean time I’m not going to have a useful workspace for car fettling.

PaulF
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby PaulF » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:31 am

Great to see some progress. I've been shedless for 12 months (it was supposed to be a 2-month build :roll: ) and I'm going slowly insane, hopefully your experience is different!

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 am

You are welcome to use my shed, the hoist is up (still need to get the balance cables sorted though), and I can give it the gentle run in with a few trips to Bungendore and Canberra ... :lol:

That is great news, it has been a saga, when is the book coming out?!

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:29 am

Glad to hear the trans is finally in and the experts are happy! But what an ordeal! Who was the mob that caused all the trouble again? Want to stay away from them.

So, are the cars no longer for sale? The FB for sale adds made me sad :cry:

I am looking forward to hearing reports of how this goes on track, the temps should cool soon and we'll enter what I call "turbo weather" :mrgreen:

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:32 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:Glad to hear the trans is finally in and the experts are happy! But what an ordeal! Who was the mob that caused all the trouble again? Want to stay away from them.

So, are the cars no longer for sale? The FB for sale adds made me sad :cry:

I am looking forward to hearing reports of how this goes on track, the temps should cool soon and we'll enter what I call "turbo weather" :mrgreen:

PAR Engineering is the company that hope I never have to deal with again. Apparently a fundamentally good product, but not worth the endless delays, promises and excuses and poor quality control.

Sorry about the adverts - With no shed and study plans AND a house move to sort out, I just could not see a sensible way forward.

greenMachine wrote:You are welcome to use my shed, the hoist is up (still need to get the balance cables sorted though), and I can give it the gentle run in with a few trips to Bungendore and Canberra ... :lol:

That is great news, it has been a saga, when is the book coming out?!

Thanks Ed, much envy of your hoist!

I think if I ever get to drive it properly, I will never want to sell it. I drove the White one over to the new house in the cool evening 'turbo weather' and it was a nice reminder :-)

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:30 pm

Great to hear that the transmission issue is finally sorted.
ManiacLachy and myself are interested in this too so we'll be asking for more details when ready to do so.
I'd like to "throw a couple of bucks your way too" when I do it for the pioneering effort since you've spent so much money on this and, if it wasn't for you, I would have gone down exactly the same route.

I'd like to get a BMW gearbox since I HATE my Aisin 6-speed, but I fear that it will be way too expensive and create other issues I need to deal with.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:57 pm

I think I'll just go with NEAT for my gearbox. I just want the box refreshed and strengthened to safely hold 300ft/lbs. I don't want the racing gear set that The American has used in the Black Rat, so should be much simpler - knock on wood!

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:15 am

ManiacLachy wrote:I think I'll just go with NEAT for my gearbox. I just want the box refreshed and strengthened to safely hold 300ft/lbs.

Neat were great to deal with, and they had the know-how to make what I had work. They sourced all of the parts for the rebuild including some things that were damaged when the original gearset broke (I used the core that was in the White Mouse that grenades).

Lokiel wrote:I'd like to get a BMW gearbox since I HATE my Aisin 6-speed, but I fear that it will be way too expensive and create other issues I need to deal with.

If I were doing this again, I would be very tempted to explore using a ZF 8HP transmission. It is a relatively modern computer controlled Automatic. However, it can be set up to operate with an electronic clutch pedal (actual pedal, electronic actuation of clutches in the transmission).

Simply Tuning / Leeson Engineering at Brendale are fitting and tuning these to all sorts of vehicles. There are a few videos of them launching with the e-clutch from a standing start and you would not know the vehicle is not a manual.

There are a couple of these transmissions on Mx5’s overseas. “Law” has one behind a K24 in an NC.

Lokiel - given the electronically controlled and programable nature of this option, it might be right up your alley.

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:33 am

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:22 am

I think that one of the European posters on MT.net - Godless Commie? - is/has put one in an NB.

I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:47 am

Lokiel wrote::
Lokiel - given the electronically controlled and programable nature of this option, it might be right up your alley.

You SHOULDN'T be telling me stuff like this, I already have another major electronic project I'm trying to finish (still need to post updates on it)!

I'm determined to finish that project, let ManiacLachy trial it and have a marketable product that's great value for-money.

I also have a stack of parts to put on the car that I'm banning myself from installing until I've finished that major project - just don't seem to have the time at the moment.

- Friday night a week ago after work a Canadian mate, Jim, who I hadn't seen in over 27 years turned up "out of the blue" after holidaying through SE Asia and I've been showing him the "local" sights around SE QLD, pointing out good drives and letting him drive Buzz while I'm at work. We did a Fraser Island tour on the weekend and managed to see one Dingo. He's gotten to see pretty much of everything in SE QLD now with access to a car. I'm annoyed that he didn't let me know he was coming because I would have taken 2x weeks off and shown him the coast too, all the way to Cairns.
Ah well, it'll give him a reason to come back, preferably NOT in summer time.
Ironically, the Canadian who wanted to avoid the Canadian winter handled the week better than I did after first coming via SE Asia. A/C and working from home has really softened me up!
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:15 am

Hi all,
Hope you’re well and surviving the run into Christmas.

Each time I find time to look at this machine, the rear main seal leaks again, and I lose motivation! It’s back at the shop now for a third attempt to deal with the seal, and it appears the crank may need a sleeve.

Hopefully 2024 brings a little more success (given the engine was built and tuned in 2021!)

Merry Christmas!

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:49 am

It does feel like the Black Rat is taking a long time. Hope to hear of track and hillclimb exploits in 2024, maybe even see it in person.

Is the White Mouse still returning to street duties? (that was the plan, right?)

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:59 pm

That’s the plan. It’s sitting on rcomps now that are nearly bald after the last Morgan Park outing, so until I fit some road tyres, it’s grounded.

The American
Forum Guru

Postby The American » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:00 pm

My eldest turns 12 this year. I’d like to get an NC or ND that we can do some motorkhana in…

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”