Back in a MX5 NC2

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

mossy
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

Back in a MX5 NC2

Postby mossy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:33 pm

I’m back in an mx5 again after a long time away, previously owning 4 NA’s it was time for something different and more comfortable to get around in and a 2010 stormy blue NC2 popped up at the right price, 180k’s but great condition one owner and full penfold Mazda service history.

The original plan was an LS swap but that needed to be an early 05/06 model with a 5.7 LS to pass engineering, so that plan is gone. Next on my list was a close second, a 3.6 LFX out of a VF SV6 ( or camaro in the US) but after my appointment with my VASS engineer this week it looks like that idea is over before it begun. The sticking point is DSC (stability control) it was programmed for the 2.0 so can’t really be used in an engine swap, we did briefly discuss it may be possible but lots of tests and money so I didn’t even dive into that topic.

Like everyone else in vic i can barely even use it at the moment so when lockdown ends I’ll get out on some drive days to say hi to some old faces, but I probably won’t remember anyone :lol:

I’ll post some pics up soon.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: Back in a MX5 NC2

Postby 93_Clubman » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:04 am

Congrats Mossy!

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:51 pm

terrific model - that will be easy to live with.

mossy
Fast Driver

Postby mossy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:20 pm

Cheers, its going to be good to have a choice of the 240z and the mx5 to drive as well.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:56 pm

You should have done the LS swap. Then in 5 years I could buy it off you (as we're both Melbourne based). I don't have a great desire to throw boatloads of money into doing the conversion but buying it later (cheaply!)

mossy
Fast Driver

Postby mossy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:59 pm

I was waiting for that Bruce :lol: I spoke to David the other day about his NC LS swap, he’s the only one I know of that has done the swap so you might be waiting for him to sell.

As far as I’m aware (now anyway) DSC was added around sep 06 so any engine swap would need that model to avoid issues with engineering here in Vic, apparently even a 2.5 swap can’t be done. Anyway looks like it’s turbo for me unless I sell again and look for an early model and I don’t really want to do that.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”