MX5 NC PRHT 2009

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Rigsey10AE
Learner Driver
Vehicle: 10AE

MX5 NC PRHT 2009

Postby Rigsey10AE » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:55 pm

Recently brought a 2009 NC as a cheaper / trackable replacement to ND.

The NC has a few modifications already: 949 racing wheels (l17x8), Good-win racing axel back exhaust, Progressive technologies sway bars, AEM induction kit and uprated discs/pads/braided lines.

Plans are to perform a few maintenance items that started last week and book some track days.

Initial maintenance started last week:
-Oil (Penrite HPR5 5w/40) and filter
-Spark plugs NGK Iridium - no record of when they were last changed so makes sence to change now
-Thermostat - I connected up my Ultra Guage OBD2 reader not long after collecting the car and noticed that the car was taking a long time to reach 90c and would only do so if left idling or stuck in traffic (30c day), fans worked fine with no overheatng. Assume the thermostat was stuck open therefore replaced - behaves perfectly now
-Coolant change
-K&N air filter clean and re-oil
-Cleaned throttle body - taken off to access the thermostat so made sense to clean

Side roof up.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: MX5 NC PRHT 2009

Postby ManiacLachy » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:45 pm

I thought this was a "For Sale" thread at first :mrgreen:

The car looks good. Even 949/Supermiata are now calling the NC the better track car these days, they're in that sweet spot where they're cheap (purchase/maintenance/consumables) but not too old that they need constant attention and major work. Should be a lot of fun!

I vote for coilovers or lowering spring soon though, she's riding high and I expect she'll lean a lot!

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:54 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:I thought this was a "For Sale" thread at first :mrgreen:

The car looks good. Even 949/Supermiata are now calling the NC the better track car these days, they're in that sweet spot where they're cheap (purchase/maintenance/consumables) but not too old that they need constant attention and major work. Should be a lot of fun!

I vote for coilovers or lowering spring soon though, she's riding high and I expect she'll lean a lot!

Those of us who have tracked NA/NB have know this since, well ... forever. If I had my time again, an NC would be my weapon of choice - 2l if running capacity classes, 2.5l otherwise.

It is easy to spend money on modz, but the best bang for the buck is to work on the nut holding the steering wheel :wink: . Seat time rules!

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Rigsey10AE
Learner Driver

Postby Rigsey10AE » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:19 pm

Not for sale ... yet :D

ND is a great all rounder and I suspect very good on track but I could not bring myself to track mine.

I had a couple of NBs before the ND so have become a bit of an MX5 traggic.

The NC is a good occasional road car / occasional track car IMO.

The NC sits a little high but the upgraded sway bars make quite a difference in terms of controlling body roll, will see how the do on track :) Coilovers I suspect will follow shortly.

Rigsey10AE
Learner Driver

Postby Rigsey10AE » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:21 pm

greenMachine wrote:

Those of us who have tracked NA/NB have know this since, well ... forever. If I had my time again, an NC would be my weapon of choice - 2l if running capacity classes, 2.5l otherwise.

It is easy to spend money on modz, but the best bang for the buck is to work on the nut holding the steering wheel :wink: . Seat time rules!

:mrgreen:

I've been tracking a slightly tweaked Excel (seat, wheels/tyres, etc.) for the last year or so for cheap fun but keen to get an MX5 back on track :D

Rigsey10AE
Learner Driver

Postby Rigsey10AE » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:39 am

First proper fun drive recently in the NC, it’s certainly got more mechanical grip than the ND, suspect this is the sway bars and 0.5 inch wider wheels and tyres. If anything it’s got too much grip, I’ve lost and miss the playfulness of the rear end ... oh er :lol:

Looking at the paperwork that came with the car the alignment was done 3 months ago and numbers look good but are pretty neutral, I would normally add a bit more negative camber all round. The question is, do I try on track before fiddling with the setup as I think it maybe quicker as it is?

Only item to look at is an occasional slight ticking noise when warm (mainly heard in the cabin) at low revs - I think it may be the tensioner pully or belt. Definitely not engine knock maybe injector noise or tappet noise (seems to be a lot of posts about this MX5 forums)?

I’ve change the gear knob to my Voodoo Magnum (smaller and heavier) and replaced the shift boot a leather item as the original had a small rip.

Also given the car a decent clean and wax + repaired a few leather seat wear marks.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”