Scarlett - ND RF Ltd. Goodness

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

madmort
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: Scarlett - ND RF Ltd. Goodness

Postby madmort » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:53 pm

Be patient and choose the colour you can enjoy and live with. Plenty of fish in the sea.

PaulF
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby PaulF » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:31 am

Nevyn72 wrote:Image

Perfect for when you want that "oil dripped in a puddle" look.

lucmor444
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby lucmor444 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:41 am

I guess I am a bit different - I don't mind that wrap colour. And once it gets a bit tired simply peel it off and you are done.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:02 pm

Just wait for the right car to come along.
What I don't understand is this 'must have' mentality people have. It's only a car, you can take it or leave it. Your life does not depend upon it.

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:58 pm

madmort wrote:Be patient and choose the colour you can enjoy and live with. Plenty of fish in the sea.

bruce wrote:Just wait for the right car to come along.
What I don't understand is this 'must have' mentality people have. It's only a car, you can take it or leave it. Your life does not depend upon it.

Ummmm, you guys realise this is a bit of an historical recount don't you? :|
The story of how I got the one I've already posted about elsewhere? :wink:
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:34 pm

Ooops.

madmort
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby madmort » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:48 pm

Whatever .So you could not update this thread for a reason? Smartarse

Nevyn72
Speed Racer

Postby Nevyn72 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:29 pm

madmort wrote:Whatever .So you could not update this thread for a reason? Smartarse

Wot? :shock:

I announced I had bought one before even starting this thread, it's about telling a story, sorry for your lack of comprehension... :roll:
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:49 am

Lol! :mrgreen:

Nevyn is telling us the story that led to Scarlett, and I'm enjoying it immensely. :beer:

charcoal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby charcoal » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:44 am

ManiacLachy wrote:Lol! :mrgreen:

Nevyn is telling us the story that led to Scarlett, and I'm enjoying it immensely. :beer:

me too!
Thanks for airing your thoughts...hope that Scarlett fulfills your requirements as she has big "shoes" to fill.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:53 am

Thirding that ^^^

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Nevyn72
Speed Racer

Postby Nevyn72 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:42 am

So began the daily search of online sales services in the hope something else would come up...

The problem with this is you end up seeing the same cars over and over and over again, even on multiple sales mediums.
You narrow the search criteria to something closer to what you wanted and start to wonder, is this close enough? :|

I even started pricing up a second hand lower spec model and adding the bits I wanted.
I'd get an ND2 then but... no Recaros.... Nope! One's got to come up sooner or later... right?

After a frustrating couple of weeks another one popped up on Carsales, it was Soul Red too, Yay!
Unfortunately it was in SA, had high km (46K+) and as is often the case with new listings, there were no pictures...
Undeterred as the asking price wasn't unreasonable I contacted the seller (a dealership) for more info and got, well... not very much useful. :?

He kept carrying on about how great the colour is... I know, that's why I want one! :roll:
He also appeared overly impressed by the fact they had all the service history, yes important given the mileage but not the biggest selling point...
Inquiring about possible photos he was reluctant, saying wait for the car to be detailed, and they will be uploaded to the sales add. I asked for one as it is, thinking the undetailed shot would tell me more about it's condition given the high km.

He did send one, then poor mobile phone shots of all the service paperwork, because, as I mentioned, he appeared really impressed they had them and just need to share I guess?

Here's the car, undetailed...

And here's one of the service receipts, you can see how useful it was, yes that's full resolution... :roll:

Two things I noticed from the picture, firstly the condition appeared, from this angle at least, to be quite good despite the high mileage. Secondly, it appears from the cars in the background that it was a Porsche dealership so could go either way in terms of haggling. :|

Anyway after refreshing the add far too many times a day for 3 days the post-detailing pictures were uploaded... Wow, it came up really, really well. There were a few tiny spots showing wear but overall it was in fantastic condition, certainly worth further consideration.

I contacted the dealership for more information, including their location (I was right, a Porsche dealership), the process if I was to come down and drive it home (rego issues), they would keep it registered until I got back to Sydney, much easier than an unregistered permit, or a cost estimate for shipping, would be part of any potential negotiations, fair enough.

I finished up by saying I was very interested but given the high Km I wanted to see the car first. Unfortunately due to work and Covid travel restrictions it would be a week before I would be able to get a flight down there. I figured if the car wasn't up to scratch I'd have a weekend in Adelaide sightseeing and just fly home.

He seemed quite disappointed I wasn't buying it there and then, sight unseen, over the phone but, Porsche salesmen... maybe they have a different perception on spending large amounts of money... who knows?

Anyway, two days later, Carsales sent an automated email informing me the car had been sold. :(

I was not ecstatic...

Feeling a bit sorry for myself, and possibly a little inebriated, I sent a text message that evening to the seller of the other Soul Red one up in Queensland asking jokingly (yes as a joke, there was even an LOL and a smiley face! :D ) if she had changed her mind about selling...

The next morning I got a reply... :shock:

Next episode: Finding the right car and bringing it home....

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:07 pm

WooHoo, road trip story coming! (maybe)

Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

Nevyn72
Speed Racer

Postby Nevyn72 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:15 am

The next morning I got a reply... :shock:

In all honesty I wasn't expecting a reply at all... at very best a "Sorry you missed out on the SA one, but no, you can't have mine!"

I certainly wasn't expecting "Maybe, did you have any questions?"
Ummm.... YES!... Something alone the lines of "How soon until you make up your mind? :mrgreen: "

While I'd done most of the searches on this vehicle previously, I'd learnt more about the car and had one specific question about the paint colour.
There have been two versions of the Soul Red colour for the ND, the newer version called 'Soul Red Crystal Metallic' was preferred (more depth to the colour variation in changing light) but the changeover date was sometime in 2018 so I didn't know if her car had the older or newer version being a build date of early 2018.

Having a strong desire not to scare her off and turn 'maybe' in to 'No' I just asked about the paint code, what accessories and options were fitted and very gently enquired about how long she would need to decide if she was actually going to sell this time... This was on Monday morning... :|

A few hours later I followed this up with a request for any pictures she had via email as the add was long since gone from carsales and I was working mainly from memory.

I then heard nothing. :|

For the rest of the day. :frown:

Not a peep.... :cry:

*Sigh*

Later the next night I finally heard back, (this is not doing my blood pressure any good! :oops: )

"Sorry, all the pictures were on a friend's phone and they have been deleted..."
As for accessories, well she had just about all of them! :mrgreen:
The only things missing were the alloy pedal set and boot lip spoiler (the only part of the Kuroi body kit not included from the factory).

The paint code? 46V... The newer one, Yay!

She then sent me two photos, one of the VIN & paint code, the other of the door sill protectors, nothing special but you can see just how clean the car is, even inside a dark garage.

Based on these images I didn't bother asking her to send any more, she freely admitted her phone was old and she didn't really know how anyway.

With regards to how long before she would decide if she was going to sell?
She said she was going away for the weekend and would let me know on Monday, this was Tuesday evening.... aaargh!

Looking at my upcoming days off I asked if she could let me know sooner as I had the Friday through Wednesday off and it would make it easier logistically to organinse things from my end if she did want to sell...
She replied ok, late Sunday evening.... :roll:

Thursday night, while flat out at work I got a message.....

Next episode: Have I found the right car? Will I be bringing it home?....

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:08 am

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”