Scarlett - ND RF Ltd. Goodness

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Re: Scarlett - ND RF Ltd. Goodness

Postby Nevyn72 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:35 pm

Bugger it! Taree it is! :mrgreen:

The next hour or so of driving became a bit of a game of leapfrog between the distance remaining and indicated remaining fuel range... :|
It even got to the point that I backed off the speed to ~95kph to try and reduce fuel consumption! Needless to say I was beginning to regret my choice a bit...

After a nerve wracking last 40km I pulled into the servo forecourt with an indicated remaining range 11km, Oops... cut that a little close! :oops:
As it turns out I needn't have worried, it took just over 36L to fill the tank to the brim, which equates to a buffer of ~10L or nearly a quarter of the tank's 45L capacity... Seems a little excessive but I understand modern high pressure fuel systems needed for direct injection really don't like being run dry.

After parking the car I wandered into the large foodcourt for a late lunch and despaired a little at the selection which comprised of all the standard mass market, keep the kids happy, generic food(TM) traders. There was very little of nutritional value to be seen so I ended up settling for some of the Colonel's finest Chicken* (Alleged) products, with chips, it was actually a little difficult to tell them apart... :?

With the day's required food poisoning complete it was time to hit the road again. I do the drive regularly between Sydney and Taree for work so knew how long the rest of the journey would take and was pleased it would get me there at just the time I had hoped.

I work in long distance logistics and part of my training is being able to recognise the onset of fatigue. I don't know if it was early puppy powered wake up call, the mind-numbing boredom of highway driving or a big greasy meal settling in, but after an hour and half's driving I was really feeling drowsy. The most important lesson we were taught during the training course was it doesn't matter what you do, loud music, opening the window, caffine, water on the face.... YOU WILL NOT WIN when it comes to fatigue. I was really unfond of the idea microsleeping my new car into the scenery so I needed to find somewhere to pull over, pronto!

Mercifully a roadside rest area appeared in short order and I pulled in to a quiet corner in the shade, shut the car down, pulled my hat down over my eyes and almost immediately fell asleep. I would have reclined the seat too but... MX5... So a serious slouch would have to suffice.
Almost exactly 20 minutes later I woke up, strangely that's all that's required to combat fatigue, and the fact I'm so well practiced at it shows I've been doing my job for far too long now. After a bit of a stretch and walk around the rest area it was back on the move again. The fuel gauge hadn't even budged so it appeared the gauge had as big a 'blind' zone at the top as at the bottom... :|

The rest of the journey home was mercifully uneventful, traffic I suppose being relatively light due to Covid. I'm still amazed I managed to snag just about the window during the pandemic where the borders between NSW & Queensland were actually open for this trip. In the late evening I pulled into my driveway, the tank still showing more than half full despite having just travelled ~330km. You can't complain about the ND's fuel economy! :mrgreen:

The next day I had to be asleep early in the afternoon as I was on duty for an 11 hour shift at around 10:30pm. So the first order of business, after a respectable sleep in that is, was to give the car a thorough clean (ceramic coats make this so easy!) and stash it away in the garage. Unfortunately the unregistered vehicle permit expired on my arrival home and there could be no further driving until I got it registered. This was going to have to wait as I was rostered for the next 7 days straight... :|

After a ambush shopping run I had a meal around the time of a late lunch and headed to bed to begin the now far too familiar process of turning my body-clock inside out and on it's head. Sleep for these long overnight shifts is critical but unfortunately this wasn't going to be my day...

About two hours after falling asleep I was woken by a message on my phone...

It was from the previous owner...

She had changed her mind and wanted the car back...

:shock:
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:33 pm

Nevyn72 wrote:The biggest challenge for me would be to avoid smuggling one of the pups home with me the next day...

Nevyn72 wrote:...so the first stop was decided and it was time to go.

Nevyn72 wrote:Bugger it! Taree it is! :mrgreen:

Woah, slow down cow boy! :mrgreen:

A dump of 3 updates in a row, and ending on a cliffhanger once we think we've had the happy ending!

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:34 pm

"She had changed her mind and wanted the car back..." - WTF!
... sounds like a spoiled brat that doesn't have a clue about living in the real world.
Personally I'd have fun with the situation, telling her that you don't blame her, how great the car is and that you would consider selling it back to her for an additional $5-7K but she'd have to pick the car up herself.

While driving back to Adelaide from Sydney (after a serious weekend of partying with a Canadian friend and our Sydney mates), I had a microsleep in my Starion and luckily woke when my chin hit my chest on a straight bit of road - it was lucky for me that I had a light touch on the wheel and knew instantly where I was.
Usually I can drive 3 hours straight before needing a short break - the Starion had a 75 litre fuel tank and was a great GT.
I stopped and tried to get some some sleep in the car but couldn't so vowed on my next long solo trip I'll be taking a swag with me.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

Nevyn72
Speed Racer

Postby Nevyn72 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:08 pm

She had changed her mind and wanted the car back... :shock:

I sent a moderately incoherent reply along the lines of "What? I can't deal with this now, I've got to sleep for an 11 hour shift starting in 6 hours", needless to say I couldn't get back to sleep... :?

Lokiel wrote:"She had changed her mind and wanted the car back..." - WTF!
... sounds like a spoiled brat that doesn't have a clue about living in the real world.
Personally I'd have fun with the situation, telling her that you don't blame her, how great the car is and that you would consider selling it back to her for an additional $5-7K but she'd have to pick the car up herself.

Well a nearly retired divorcee isn't what you'd normally describe as 'not having a clue about life in the real world' but that doesn't mean they are going to be sensible or rational.... Oh, and there ain't no way in the world she was going to be getting the car back, just imagine how long that series of thread posts would be! :shock: :mrgreen:

Anyway I eventually made it out to Parkes (my apologies to my mate on that job who had to deal with Captain Cranky-pants the whole way out there :oops: ) and promptly crashed out in the motel bed.

About half an hour after falling asleep I got a message on the phone. :cry:

It was from the previous owner again. :?

Asking about how we were going to organise for her to pick up the car, and hopefully I hadn't paid stamp duty yet! :shock:

I made a noise.... It wasn't pleasant...

After about half an hour I managed to calm down enough and despite my heavily sleep deprived state I composed the following reply, I'm still amazed at how diplomatic I was...

Since sending that message I haven't heard back.
I'm actually a little glad the borders are closed... :|

Next Episode: Seeing double.
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

Nevyn72
Speed Racer

Postby Nevyn72 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:40 am

Seeing double.

Now it's time for a little flashback. :mrgreen:

I'm in the fortunate position that I can afford for my MX5 to be just a toy/hobby/project and have a dedicated daily driver for most commuting duties. Generally this vehicle has been a small car, usually a hatchback, suited to city commuting, efficient and easy to park.

My previous MX5 was an MY04 NB SE and it's complimentary runabout was an MY02 Mazda 323 Astina.
It actually makes for an interesting comparison between the specs of the two vehicles and how, on paper, similar they are.

Code: Select all

323 Astina    NB MX5
Year      2002        2004
Engine   1.8L NA    1.8L Turbo
Power     92kW       121kW
Weight   1091kg      1093kg

Back when I started my garage thread for the SE I did a bit of a nose to nose comparison between the two as well, here's the picture.

Now part of the reason I developed the desire to upgrade the NB to something newer was that I had retired the Astina and replaced it with an almost new Subaru Impreza. The fundamental evolution in technology of modern vehicles got me wondering if there was a similar step up with a current generation MX5?

Now admittedly the Astina was a basic povo-pack edition and the Subie is a fully loaded top of the line but it wasn't just the nice lux bits that I was considering and well the rest is history... :mrgreen:

Where the big difference between the previous two was power, as you can see below the biggest difference now is weight, that Subie is a porky bugger! :shock:
However modern tech being what it is, it still uses less fuel. :wink:

Code: Select all

Subaru Impreza    ND GT RF Ltd.
Year      2018           2018
Engine   2.0L NA        2.0L NA
Power     115kW          118kW
Weight   1398kg         1055kg

In a small re-enactment I tried to restage the same shot as above with the new vehicles, unfortunately the weather wasn't co-operating. :?

When I look at the image of the new cars I can't help but think of the Matrix Red pill / Blue pill scene... :mrgreen:

Blue pill = mundane normality
Red pill = adventure and excitement

Which would you choose? :wink:

Next Episode: If anyone's still paying attention I might start talking about mods. :DIY: :ND: :DIY:

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:51 am

Yeah, keep it going!

Any reason you didn't opt for the 2.5 Subie? I went looking in 2003 for a 2.5 Impreza, but got an excellent deal on a run-out 2.5 Liberty instead. It was a nice cruiser, which would hook up nicely on Canberra's roundabouts 8). I got 330,000kms out of it before it developed transmission and engine issues, got $100 from the wreckers, and then someone stole it from them and dumped it in the bush - couldn't kill it!

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Nevyn72
Speed Racer

Postby Nevyn72 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:13 pm

greenMachine wrote:Any reason you didn't opt for the 2.5 Subie?

Current gen5 Impreza is only available in 2.0L & CVT. :(
Would have liked a Levorg (basically a WRX station wagon) but it is also CVT only and was ~$20K more expensive. :shock:

It's only a short term vehicle anyway, it'll be replaced in a year or two when the EV market is a bit more mature and diverse. :mrgreen:

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:06 pm

Nevyn72 wrote:She had changed her mind and wanted the car back... :shock:

I sent a moderately incoherent reply along the lines of "What? I can't deal with this now, I've got to sleep for an 11 hour shift starting in 6 hours", needless to say I couldn't get back to sleep... :?

Lokiel wrote:"She had changed her mind and wanted the car back..." - WTF!

Well a nearly retired divorcee isn't what you'd normally describe as 'not having a clue about life in the real world' but that doesn't mean they are going to be sensible or rational.... Oh, and there ain't no way in the world she was going to be getting the car back, just imagine how long that series of thread posts would be! :shock: :mrgreen:

:

If she wasn't already after the divorce, she's definitely a man-hater now!
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

Nevyn72
Speed Racer

Postby Nevyn72 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:13 pm

If anyone's still paying attention I might start talking about mods.

But first Iet's go back in time a bit to when I picked the car up.
I mentioned that the car had a "boot full of goodies...", and with this being a limited edition it came with some niceties from the factory.
I was actually a little surprised they were included but the previous owner insisted they belonged with the car and she had some nice pictures hanging on the wall to remember the car by.

The Limited edition 'pack' included a signed letter from the program director, a tiny diecast ND RF model and the chunkiest watch you've ever seen! :shock:

She also chucked in a brand new MX5 hat, nicely colour matched for the car, and a heap of magazine articles and brochures from the time when the car was released, here's the hat, for the sake of a picture. :wink:

So a bit over a week after getting home I finally had time to sort out the rego.
After checking carefully I determined that the vehicle could be dríven, so long as it was only for the purpose of getting a Blue slip (unregistered vehicle identity and roadworthy check) and so long as you drove directly there and back. Thank goodness I wasn't going to have to fork out for it to get towed!

I gave the car a bath... because inspection. :mrgreen:

I drove directly to my local mechanic who I've been using for years for annual inspections (pink slips) hoping to get things knocked over quickly. If you've been following this thread you'll know how well this worked out! :?
Nope, don't do them, there's relatively few places that do, you'll need to find one and try and book an appointment... *Sigh*

A quick dash home, half an hour of phone calls and I finally had an appointment.... in a week....
Oh well back in the garage again. :(

A week later I got the car back out of the garage.
I gave the car a bath... again... because inspection. :mrgreen:

I rocked up 10 minutes early and was told, sorry the boss isn't here yet, just leave the car and we'll call you when it's done. Errrr, nope, this is the middle of nowhere in an industrial wasteland, I'll wait.... I commenced pacing.
45 minutes later the boss turned up... I continued pacing.
The boss then made a coffee and sat down... I started pacing in front of the boss.

Eventually the boss appeared to notice me... "What can I do for you?"
I was beginning to wonder if he understood the concept of an appointment. :?

After a period of time, shuffling through my paperwork he implied that the receipts weren't going to be good enough. I'm unsure what more information could possibly be required, they were created by someone who worked in a car dealership... there were even two of them covering different aspects of the transaction! :roll:
He suggested that RMS were really strict on interstate transactions like these, anything suspicious and they would refuse rego...
I asked what was missing and what could I do?
He shrugged...
I resisted the urge the scream.

After another half an hour he commented on how good condition the car was in and handed over the paperwork.
I scampered home and put the car back in the garage.

It was then time to return to the same (Dis)Service for NSW branch I got the unregistered vehicle permit from to finally get the rego completed.
By now we were back in hard lockdown again but fortunately registering vehicles was considered an essential service so they were still open. After undergoing a great palaver of a process I finally had a ticket... the ticket had a number... the number would lead me to a person who would make me both a lot poorer and lot happier at the same time.
I worried about the receipts, given the most recent interactions with the previous owner, I suspected she wouldn't be very 'helpful' if I needed further documentation... :|

There was a *ding*.... my number was up... but in a good way. :mrgreen:

I handed over the ream of paperwork and the service person scanned through the sheets, he glanced at the receipts, and that was it... no problems, I again resisted the urge to scream... I had been stressing over nothing.
Unfortunately the computer terminal was related the Queensland terminal that cancelled the previous rego and promptly started causing grief. Another operator, a supervisor, a phone call and finally the paperwork was done... just need to pay the rego and stamp duty. Given the type and age of the car it was a lot... I could have bought another car!

Oh well, it's all done now, time to head home and bolt on the new plates.
Unfortunately as I mentioned earlier we were back in hard lockdown so the only options for driving the car were straight to and from work or the shops... nope, not parking it in either of those places... well I did take it work once... on a weekend... at night... when hardly anyone else was about... and the carpark was mostly empty... I parked in the far corner away from everyone else...

For the next couple of months the only option was to sneak out and drive around the local streets a bit to blow away the cobwebs.
Fortunately I live in a fairly scenic part of Sydney so it looked a bit like this.

At least I gave it a bath each time... it's amazing how dirty it gets in a garage just sitting there!

Next Episode: did someone say something about mods?

Nevyn72
Speed Racer

Postby Nevyn72 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:49 pm

did someone say something about mods?

The intent with this vehicle is to hold off as much as possible on doing any mods and just enjoy it factory standard for a while...

That being said, there were two aspects of the factory options that were missing.
Being genuine Mazda options they were expensive, stupidly expensive. :?
Was I going to let that stop me? Of course not! :mrgreen:

So the two things I wanted to 'complete the car' were;
- Alloy pedal set. RRP $570
- Boot lip spoiler. RRP $ 575

Being a bit of a tight arse there was no way I going to pay that much!

The alloy pedal set ended up costing roughly the same worldwide (after delivery) with the exception of one place, where it is a bit over half that amount... For genuine Mazda parts... Delivered... From the other side of the planet! :shock:
Somehow I ended up with two sets, because reasons... any ND owners out there want alloy pedals? :|

Here's what turned up... Twice...

Here's what they look like fitted.
Much better than the hard plastic and rubber standard items.

Now it was going to be a similar story for the miniscule boot lip spoiler which I still don't understand why it wasn't fitted with the rest of the Kuroi body kit from the factory.
At least there were a few overseas options that were cheaper than Australia (roughly 2/3rds the price), however I was bit reluctant given the size and shape and concerns over damage during shipping.

Fortunately a fellow forum member had a brand new one in a box, it was even in Sydney! :mrgreen:
We settled on a price and then just needed to wait (2 months) for the lockdowns to ease and we could meet up to do the deal. As these things often go, what should have been a 5 minute transaction ended up being an hour and a half gasbag about all things MX5... As you do... :wink:

Now this was a bit of a nerve wracking install as the tape that does most of the adhesion grabs fast so you only get one go at it.
You are also meant to drill two holes in the boot for bolts but the spoiler is so small I didn't feel these were necessary. A search on the big forums I had done previously had a split 50/50 each way but no reports of anyone without the bolts losing their spoiler so I was confident.
That being said I still put liberal doses of windscreen sealant in the internal void as that is about the most tenacious adhesive known to man!

Step one was thoroughly clean the trailing edge of the boot. Isoproyl alcohol is your friend here, just make sure the area is well ventilated.

Next was to preposition the spoiler and carefully put masking tape around the edge to help guide the final positioning.

Once happy with the position it was time to remove the double sided tape coverings and deposit generous blobs of windscreen RTV.
The idea being that whole thing would sit high on the blobs allowing fine adjustment before pushing down spreading the RTV wider in the cavity inside the spoiler.

The last step, and most traumatising, was to put the thing on!

I missed the first time... :roll:

Mercifully there was only a small bit of tape contact and I was able to pull it off leaving most of the tape still virgin.
This is vital as it's the tape that does most of the work holding the spoiler in place.

Second time around it landed perfectly with only a tiny bit of RTV goup leakage which was easily cleaned while fresh with a bit of Iso Alcohol on a rag. :mrgreen:

Once I was confident the tape was holding properly I removed the masking tape, gave the whole area a wipedown with some more Iso Alcohol and this is how she ended up looking.

It was then left for 24 hours to make sure the RTV fully cured and the tape bonded properly.
It may only be small but it really ties the piano black roof and rear under spoiler together nicely. :mrgreen:

Now I know I said that was it for mods for the moment...

Then the Black Friday sales happened...

I was weak... :oops:

A week later a box turned up...

Next Episode: What's in the box?

Nevyn72
Speed Racer

Postby Nevyn72 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:34 pm

With the new daily driver I suppose I really need to update the comparison picture... :mrgreen:

Quite a contrast in driving characteristics and capabilities!
Don't ask how long until I start modding the ute, it's only 3 days old... and I've already started... :oops:

Speaking of mods, here's a picture of my enormously expensive knob! :shock:

One of these days I'll actually get around to installing it... :roll:

PS> I took Scarlett for a blast through Royal National Park today, nice to take her out for a bit of a drive after a busy week. Anyone else been for a drive lately? Maybe we should start a new thread about it? :wink:

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:11 am

where is the cams & big turbo?
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:57 am

Nevyn72 wrote:It's only a short term vehicle anyway, it'll be replaced in a year or two when the EV market is a bit more mature and diverse. :mrgreen:

Guessing this didn’t happen given the arrival of the ranger

Nevyn72
Speed Racer

Postby Nevyn72 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:56 pm

rascal wrote:
Nevyn72 wrote:It's only a short term vehicle anyway, it'll be replaced in a year or two when the EV market is a bit more mature and diverse. :mrgreen:

Guessing this didn’t happen given the arrival of the ranger

Watch this space.... 8)

Nevyn72
Speed Racer

Postby Nevyn72 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:58 pm

StanTheMan wrote:where is the cams & big turbo?

The Ranger already has a pretty bloody big turbo! :shock:

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”