How to remove broken Frankenstein stud?

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: How to remove broken Frankenstein stud?

Postby greenMachine » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:44 am

Which is why a fallback is good to have.

Oh, anyone need an Ezyout, one careful owner, never been out of the packaging, priced to sell ... 8) :D

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

StillIC
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: How to remove broken Frankenstein stud?

Postby StillIC » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:38 am

Having owned quite a number of various thread extraction devices, I have given up on them. They never quite work. Why? I am glad I asked!

Well, if a (steel) bolt/stud/thread is jammed up enough that normal techniques/tools can't remove it, which usually means the head/nut has broken off, what chance does an even smaller piece of steel jammed up the centre of the stuck thread have?

I know that the various removal tools are made from quite strong, hardened steel, but so are most bolts and threads that I have trouble with. The tools simply can't outmuscle the threads in torsion. And when one realises that the torsional strength of a round member (ooh err) is a cubic function of its cross sectional diameter, the point is reinforced.

Having said all of that, I can imagine a situation where thread extraction devices would work: when a thread is down a hole but not stuck, as such, and one simply can't reach it with any other tool except a left hand threaded removal device.
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”