Queensland Events

Moderators: timk, Andrew, miata, AJ

99MXV
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Run Report - Gold Coast Tibouchinas Touring - 23/4/06

Postby 99MXV » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:30 pm

It's good to be back !

\"Suzi\" said that its because she came on her first run... I swear it's because I've just rejoined the club and they all wanted to see the car, but either way, the run was spectacular !

A total of 43 people in 30 cars joined the MX5 run from Mudgeeraba down through the Nuringbah Valley, then into the Tweed Valley, into Murwillumbah for Morning Tea and then back into the Hills for a Roller Coaster run to Alstonville. The purple flowering Tibouchinas were scarce, but the scenery was fantastic. We stopped for an extended lunch at the \"House with no steps\" nursery at Alstonville..... the food was GREAT and the discussions revolved around cars.. women and cars.. cars.. and how many KW you can get out of an SE thats been \"tweaked\".

It was great to see so many people on a run. It reminded me of the NSW days when we used to have runs with 30 people and split into groups of 10. The QLD'rs managed to stay together for most of the day, except at one annoying intersection with the highway... and even with Jim leading us with some \"spirited\" driving at times (always at the speed limit). He sure found us some great driving roads that managed to show me the limits of the grip of the \"taxi tyres\" I currently have on the Clubman.

It was also great to put faces to forum names. Litsa and I had AJ hot on our tail all day, and it was pleasing to see that an NC BOAT can keep up with a REAL MX5 !!! even around the bendy bits !!! (insert gratuitous sarcasm emoticon here)... actually to be totally honest, he says he could hear me revving the rings out whilst he was casually droning along in 4th gear (with 2 more to go) !

The number of people kind of suprised poor Jim.. he'd rung and booked for 10 people for lunch and had to do a real dance and shuffle to get 43 of us in to eat.

BLOODY GREAT JOB JIM ! (if you read this !)

Some photos for your enjoyment are at the link below. Anyone who spots their car and wants a larger shot.. email me at wayneshelley@mac.com and I'll get it to you.

http://web.mac.com/wayneshelley/iWeb/EB ... 0Tour.html

Cheers

Wayne
Won't be long now... On the hunt for an MX5

AJ
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby AJ » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:26 pm

what he said about the run :mrgreen:

i MAY have used 2nd & 3rd a coupla times wayne :lol: ..........of course i had extra incentive on the 2nd half with that bright yellow thing ticklin' my tailpipes :lol: :lol:

apart from the great driving, the highlight for me would be when we were parked at that T junction while Jim glared at his map upsidedown, while you gave him directions by hand :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often
XMX5 Rogues

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby JBT » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:02 pm

Yes, great day. Good to meet you Wayne. I like the feel of your knob but really need a black one. :mrgreen:

More photos in \"events\" section too.

99MXV
Racing Driver

Postby 99MXV » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:49 pm

They say... once you've had BLACK you can never go back !

http://www.crazyred.com/cri/pages/voodoo.html

They do have black... ring Mx5Mania and order one !

Cheers

Wayne

p.s. thanks for handling my knob gently too...

Ruby95

Postby Ruby95 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:55 pm

Congratulations Jim,

A great day, and even some roads that Jim didn't expect to see. I was glad to see that the move from AM to UHF radios is a posative step for the club they woked far better than the AM set did last year in the same areas.

Keith

jules
Guitar Hero
Vehicle: NA6

Postby jules » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:14 am

\"and how many KW you can get out of an SE thats been \"tweaked\". \"

Yeah. I had a feeling something was a bit different with that one, when it started huffing and puffing and popping behind Malibu.

I was going to catch up with the driver and have a little chat about $$$ VS kw. It sounded very nice.

Great to see a \"real\" intercooler on an SE.

Jules
Founder of the Gold Coast Chapter of the Honourable Brothers of Dodgy.

Richee
Racing Driver

Postby Richee » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:02 am

Great day thankyou Jim.

It was good to see sooo many MX5s, great roads and sooo many smiles :D

512 Km round trip, one tank, 7.2l per 100ks - funtastic :mrgreen:

Richard and Robyn
Mazda Tribute - its a boat
Coming - Jayco Eagle wind up camper - woo hoo
Ex cars 2007 NC LE Radiant Ebony, 1990 Eunos Neo Green LE

MX5-SP
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

What a great day

Postby MX5-SP » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:59 am

The look on Jim's face when he pulled at the starting point and saw all the cars was priceless. So good to see so many new faces, and also our visitor from Ballarat in the BRB NA.
Snow White: Torsen 3.9 LSD, A/Sway Bars, R/Bar Plus Clear Reflectors!

Hot Rodders
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Hot Rodders » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:24 am

Great to see our Northern contempories had such a great turn out. Must of been left over adrenalin from the National meet!
Great photos Wayne. What sort of camera and lenses and filters did you use?
Evo, Its not a Dirty Word! Good As Gold.
President Bendigo Gliding Club
www.bendigogliding.org.au

99MXV
Racing Driver

Postby 99MXV » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:15 pm

The camera is a Canon 300D
The bulk of those shots were with a Canon 10-22mm lens that I borrowed for the day. Exceptionally wide !

I've just got a mount for the style bar to hold my video camera, so next run we'll hopefully have some video !

Cheers

Wayne

Return to “Queensland”