Queensland Events

Moderators: timk, Andrew, miata, AJ

CaptainNate
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Dodgy Day/Sub-frame Help/Garage hangs!

Postby CaptainNate » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:34 pm

Hey my Brisbanite fellows!

Have been quiet for a while and not showing up to meets due to being paranoid about a breaking Mx5 - Help me fix this!!!

Just wondering if anybody would be willing to lend a hand pulling my old, bent sub-frame (Front) out and helping me marry up the new one? I will also be swapping over engine mounts when this is happening.

I am thinking either doing the work on the 9th or 10th of August, depending on when people are available - so if you're keen for some beer, a BBQ, laughing at n00bz and generally having a good day get on board. I will have to borrow or hire out an engine crane (anybody know where I can get a good deal?) to lift the engine up - so while we have it if anybody needs any mounts replaced or something to do with a crane I'm sure we can fit your job in too :)

Will be happening at my parents place, so not much room for multiple work as the 2 car garage will most likely be taken up by my 5 and who ever will be lending a hand. But I have a pressure washer if people want to wash their cars on the lawn and a outside flat surface if other work like brake pads or something needs to be done. But plenty of parking room on the street as its a quiet cul-de-sac in a quiet area. (Bellbowrie - west of Brissie CBD)

It's kinda short notice only being a few weeks away - but I would love to see you all again and hopefully get back out to meets on a regular basis!!!

I will supply BBQ meat and beverages for the day!
Silver NA6 - [MXV092] - "Scarlett the Pinkbits Warrior" - Join us @ Stance Potato Racing - Non-Pretentious Car Culture!

Magpie
Speed Racer

Re: Dodgy Day/Sub-frame Help/Garage hangs!

Postby Magpie » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:15 am

If it is the following weekend I can pop around and watch :)

zossy1
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby zossy1 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:24 am

CaptainNate wrote:
Just wondering if anybody would be willing to lend a hand pulling my old, bent sub-frame (Front) out and helping me marry up the new one? I will also be swapping over engine mounts when this is happening.

Too faraway to help myself, but FYI... I haven't ever seen a car with a bent front subframe that didn't also have a bend in one (or even both) frame rails. Comsider measuring them before trying to install the new subframe. If they are bent, your new subframe may not even fit at all...

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.php? ... stcount=24

slug_dub
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby slug_dub » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:35 am

Nate I may be able to help you that day :)
The American wrote:hella sic stance flushing pard harker yolo something something.

CaptainNate
Racing Driver

Postby CaptainNate » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:38 am

Yes I am worried about that. Visual inspections dont show anything, so if there is a bend it will be oh so slight. The bend in the subframe isn't terrible - just had a bad whack from a previous owner running over a pylon or something.

Magpie - if these dates dont suit helpers I will push it back 3 weeks, that may suit you? :)
Silver NA6 - [MXV092] - "Scarlett the Pinkbits Warrior" - Join us @ Stance Potato Racing - Non-Pretentious Car Culture!

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:56 am

I wasn't going to help, rather watch :)

If it helps I will have my trailer in Brisbane between 14/08 and 16/08 however I will be traveling back to Blackwater on 16/08.

MattR
Racing Driver

Postby MattR » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:06 pm

If the day ends up happening in September I could help out with the supply of an engine crane for a beer and watching :mrgreen:

I will be out of country for all of August, so can't help on the proposed days.

CaptainNate
Racing Driver

Postby CaptainNate » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:22 pm

Looking at my tax refund I am seriously considering getting the boys at mx5plus to do it for me. Might call them next week and sus it out before I set anything in stone....

They will be better equipped at diagnosing any underlying issues as well.

As a few of you know I have an amazing track record at doing big jobs :P

CaptainNate
Racing Driver

Postby CaptainNate » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:23 pm

If that is the case though - Ill organize us a photoshoot and picnic day out at the lakes or something. Been way too long!

Rolley
Racing Driver

Postby Rolley » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:07 pm

G'day Nate,

I'm new to the forum and looking to get to know a few brisbane owners. I'd love to help out if you decide to go ahead with it all.
I did 7 years with Ford before packing it in for better wages so I know my way around.

Rolley.

CaptainNate
Racing Driver

Postby CaptainNate » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:42 pm

Welcome to the obsession Rolley! :D

Funny you mention being an ex-Ford worker, as I'll probably be inviting a non-mx5 ex-Ford worker along for the day as he has helped me out on numerous occasions too!

Biggest doubt I have currently is I don't want to be wasting peoples time, as in - I know its a big job and is it plausible to get this done within one day?

I am not entirely sure what is involved with it. My basic theory is: 1) Jack up the car. 2) Disconnect engine mounts and lift engine up with crane. 3) Unbolt subframe & components and pull the old one out. 4) Drink beer. 5) Put in the new subframe (this is where I am worried - what if there is a bend? Eep. I suppose we can just put the old one back in again.) 6) Install new mounts. 7) Bolt engine back in.

Sounds easy in theory, but I'll feel a ton better if I have a few hands with me that have done the job or at least know what they're doing! haha.

I got quoted $1k for the pro's to do it. I was realllly hoping to move forward with my build this year, I am sick of spending so much money on fixing this lemon/my mistakes up haha.

Slug - More than happy to have your hands helping turn some spanners (or in this case hopefully a battery impact drill - may have 2 I can borrow from people to make it a bit quicker) any chance you've pulled a subframe before?

Rolley
Racing Driver

Postby Rolley » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:33 pm

You are pretty much spot on. I would ditch the engine crane though and go for a lifter bar.

It sits on the inside lip of the guards and goes across the top of the motor like a strut brace. then you chain to motor to it and wind it up to take the load. I have one I use for front wheel drive gear box removal so you have 100% free space to work in under the car, instead of trying to work around the legs of the crane.

Even if I cant make it for the day I am more than happy to lend it to you for the job. Are you North or South side?

Rolley.

CaptainNate
Racing Driver

Postby CaptainNate » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:59 pm

Ahhh sounds much easier, I'll take you up on that offer.

The work will be happening in a quaint little suburb called Bellbowrie, about 30mins west of the CBD. I haven't set either a date yet, waiting to hear who can help and what would suit people better. Can either be the 9th/10th or August or the 30th/31st of August as they're my next two weekends off of work. If you can't make either of them or whatever one is more suitable for the majority I work in the CBD so I can come pick the lifter up and drop it off :)

I was also just informed that I'll have to swap over the steering rack as well as the new subframe I plan on purchasing is from an NB (with P/S). I'll depower the rack myself, however the NA rack doesn't bolt up to the NB rack mounts. Rather than messing about with welding/griding the NA mounts on - I'll just swap them over. :D

Might be a bit of a push/rush - depending on what time my helpers can arrive and how quickly we do it. But I am thinking we can go for a group run up to Cafe Boombana at Mt Nebo for dinner afterwards?

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:04 pm

Lol I remember doing a clutch on a dodgy day, that worked well :)

I hope that I can be in Brisbane for this :)

CaptainNate
Racing Driver

Postby CaptainNate » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:11 pm

Haha Magpie! You've deserved your watchers status. If I even see you touch a tool I will growl! :mrgreen: :beer:

I'll happily bump it back to the 30th/31st if it means you can come along and bring that beast of yours - if it's still road registered? I want to get a closer look at your aero again for future plans :twisted:

Just waiting to hear back from Slug, Rolley and a facebook member to see what availability they have :) I'm sure that's all the hands I'll need.

Return to “Queensland”