Dodgy Day 30th January

Queensland Events

Moderators: timk, Andrew, miata, AJ

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Dodgy Day 30th January

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:39 am

If I can make it, I would like to install some SS brake lines. What do I need to bring?
* Brake lines
* Brake fluid
* ???

Any tools needed that you wouldn't have on hand, Mark?

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:04 am

That should be fine. Maybe a couple of bottles of brake fluid, however 50ml should be enough.

Pezchops I have the rotary burrs (suitable for any material) and a step drill (suitable for sheet metal).

Steampunk
Speed Racer

Postby Steampunk » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:41 am

That will work Pez. We need to cut through the "parcel shelf" behind seats so it is sheet metal but may need to go through 2 sheets at places.
The space to work with is the space available when the softtop is up, hence a full size drill held in normal position will not fit.

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:20 pm

Magpie wrote:Does Gina have any special requirements :)

1. TSE manifold - supposedly due for shipping any day now
2. TSE downpipe - supposedly due for shipping in March
3. Mating TSE downpipe to Dann's 3" exhaust
4. Clutch work

"Gina" may look a little different than you expect on the Dodgy Day :P
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:35 pm

I'll set up some shade for Gina then :)

You could organise an early morning run over mount Tambourine or Mt Glorious to Purga.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:40 pm

I get the feeling Gina will look a lot like a Mazda 3 hatch back :wink: Quite a trick!

ianoz
Fast Driver

Postby ianoz » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:23 pm

pezchops wrote:i will try to fit in machining a few NA rear view mirror spacers before then.
for those that have the rear view blocked by roll bars.

bit of a drive from Melb :( but interested in the spacer idea. any chance of photos? (or do you make them for sale?)
NA6 '89 red, NB8B '01 silver

MXO005
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby MXO005 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:41 pm

Hoping to be there to take advantage of Pezchops R&D :) 8) He's the brains / materials man to talk to ianoz. I'm sure we can get some pictures up of the outcome.

Looking to do my first oil / coolant / brake fluid changes. Will read up more before I get there but won't have a lot of time to take a closer physical look at anything prior so will appreciate having the knowledgeable minds around again.

Squeezed into Repco just before closing today to take advantage of the 30% off "show your card" (RACQ) discount to pick up some fluids.

Grabbed some Bendix CT brake pads (front and rears) as I've got a bit of squealing but stopping still seems ok on the road. Don't want any avoidable dramas at Lakeside though.
Would I be better off talking to GSL Rallysport / Brakes Direct tomorrow and see if I can get some QFM A1RM prior to the weekend instead? Or is that overkill at this early stage of track days for me?
Ended up paying $89.60 per set for the Bendix ($128 normally). A1RM's are listed at $119 online but says "priced individually". Am I comparing like for like? Complete front set prices?

Will there be enough jack stands there on the day? Couldn't quite stretch to buying any myself today but they are on the list. Might be able to borrow some to bring along if that's best.

Oil change:
Got: Oil, filter, funnel, drain pan, rags
Need ?: Are the drain plug and (crush) washer always reusable? [As an aside are the magnetic drain plugs I've seen from Blox worth considering? Not sure what size ours are]

Coolant change:
Got: Just short of 5 litres of Tectaloy 60 coolant left (will grab some more, thought I had more today :frown: )
Need ?: Can the same drain pan be used for both oil and coolant changes?

Brakes:
Got: 3x 500ml bottles of DOT 4 (assume that's way more than enough), two sachets of brake lubricant for the slider pins, Bendix pads (may change for QFM on any advice given)
Need ?: 5/32 inch (4mm?) clear hose. Can I just grab this from Bunnings? Will see if there's some empty coffee jars at work.

Will bring my slowly growing bag of spanners, screwdrivers and sockets and make a note of anything I have to borrow.

I'll also bring along the Tribute windscreen washers that I haven't fitted yet in case anyone wants to see what they're like.
If time allows then I might try and attack that screw that's threatening the underneath of the passenger side of the dash.
Ian
Silver '94 Eunos Roadster - Nothing much to report.... yet!

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:15 pm

More than enough jack stands. I have 10 in total as well as 3 jacks. I'll free up a bay in the shed by wheeling out the shell, sounds like a few jobs being done.

Yes get a washer for the drain plug.

Bleeding brakes I have this stuff, including a vacumn bleeder which works a treat.

Personally I would go the A1RM's they are not an overkill and will reduce the potential of fade when compared to the bendix.

Steampunk
Speed Racer

Postby Steampunk » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:34 pm

QFM A1RM is one of those rare, magical, things that is all win and no lose, awesome on the road and track with no compromise.
They unfortunately make small batches at a time, so it's pot-luck if GSL has them on the shelf and I've no idea how quickly QFM makes them so I would call them ASAP.

You can re-use the sump plug washer a couple of times. The thread pitch is M14x1.50.

Try and bring 5L, or more of de-mineralised or boiled water so you can do a good flush of the cooling system. People just stick a hose/tap water through it, but I'm pedantic.

MXO005
Fast Driver

Postby MXO005 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:53 pm

All noted.
Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Ian
Silver '94 Eunos Roadster - Nothing much to report.... yet!

corners
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - Supercharged

Postby corners » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:32 pm

Only just saw this. Won't be able to make it :frown:
Steampunk wrote: Oh you've got Ohlins? You must like drugs too!!!

Rolley
Racing Driver

Postby Rolley » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:11 pm

I'm going to try.
What is it with these always being organised on the same weekends as my girls birthdays...
If I get through my sh*t list on Friday I'll throw the tools in the boot and shoot out for a couple of hours to lend what mechanical help I can.

Does anybody attending own a buff and have knowledge on how to use it on 20yo paint? I have water spots across my bonnet that hand polishing is not moving and I don't have the equipment or confidence to attack it with machinery...

slug_dub
Racing Driver

Postby slug_dub » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:20 pm

I know the perfect person but I won't go dobbing him in after last time...

:mrgreen:
The American wrote:hella sic stance flushing pard harker yolo something something.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:07 pm

I have a buffer and associated gear, can bring if needed. Or you'd be free to borrow any time

Return to “Queensland”