Dodgy Day. Saturday 7th May

Queensland Events

Moderators: timk, Andrew, miata, AJ

Steampunk
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Dodgy Day. Saturday 7th May

Postby Steampunk » Thu May 12, 2016 4:24 pm

Lokiel wrote:I did a quick Google on this issue this morning and the answer was obvious - our cars use Wasted Spark ignition so there are 2 sparks per rotation, which is why the timing light reported double the RPM rate (cylinders 1&4 and 2&3 are ignited at the same time).

Not sure why Ignition wire 2 was always reporting the correct RPMs, it should have behaved the same as Ignition wire 1.

That was what I infered, and I can only guess that there was interference of some sort with the clip on lead #1 as it was also touching the cam cover, whereas when Vat put it on #2 it was resting on lead #1...?

corners
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - Supercharged

Postby corners » Thu May 12, 2016 4:34 pm

Steampunk wrote:
MXO005 wrote:Steampunk, I owe you replacement Nulon. Sorry for not fixing you up on the day.

I still haven't been able to get anything completed by myself. My spanner work is getting slightly better but my adjustable spanner results are appalling :frown:

Nah it's cool, it was only a little bit not a whole bottle so no worth mentioning.

We've all rounded dozens of bolts, it's all a matter of practice makes perfect and getting a feel of when the bolt is actually turning in the thread or the bolt head is getting rounded and the only way to know is trial and error.
I tend to use sockets, or ring spanners, whenever possible as opposed to open-end spanners.

If you don't have a socket set yet, I've been using this set recently: https://www.tradetools.com/product-range/hand-tools/sockets-and-sets/force-15pc-3-8-surface-drive-socket-metric

They are superior to regular hex sockets as they grab more of the side of the bolt rather than the corner so less likely to round them off.
Steampunk wrote: Oh you've got Ohlins? You must like drugs too!!!

ralt
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby ralt » Thu May 12, 2016 4:50 pm

Hi.
The leads touching creates cross firing. You should ensure the number one lead is well away from the number two lead and not held in by the lead clip things.If the leads touch you may find your idle reduces which is caused by cross firing. People find that some timing lights will not operate at all if leads are touching.

pezchops
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby pezchops » Sat May 28, 2016 7:04 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123909027@N08/albums/72157668896488596better late than never...some pics lilly took at the lasy dodgy day
Murphy's Law:If anything can go wrong,it will.
Shakespeares Law:Never use a big word if a diminutive one will do.
Cole's Law:Slice a cabbage.

Return to “Queensland”