Queensland Events

Moderators: timk, Andrew, miata, AJ

slug_dub
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: Dodgy Day. Saturday 7th May

Postby slug_dub » Sun May 08, 2016 2:20 pm

Great photos.
Looks like it was a very busy day, I am sad that I couldn't attend this one.
The American wrote:hella sic stance flushing pard harker yolo something something.

Trackphotos
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB Roadster

Postby Trackphotos » Sun May 08, 2016 4:13 pm

Looks like a decent turnout. I would've come along if I weren't working, even if I had nothing to do on my car. Maybe next time it'll fall on a weekend off for me.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
QR Clubman: 1:03.9 | QR Sprint: 1:01.4 | QR National: 1:29.4 | LS: 1:01.5 | Mt Cotton: 51.6

Vat
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Vat » Sun May 08, 2016 7:18 pm

Trackphotos wrote:Looks like a decent turnout. I would've come along if I weren't working, even if I had nothing to do on my car. Maybe next time it'll fall on a weekend off for me.

Absolutely - just turn up and make smart comments.
'98 Evo Gold NB8A
QR-Clubman 66.5109|Sprint 63.3635|Sportsman 67.4673|National 92.3481|Lakeside 65.7478|MP K 1:35.382|MP E 1:16.422|NM 1:08.017

mousemota
Driver
Vehicle: ND - 1.5 GT

Postby mousemota » Sun May 08, 2016 7:29 pm

Vat wrote:..and not an NC or an ND to be seen!

\seriously, where are you guys?

Out supporting the MX5 Club of Qld doing a run ............and getting hit by rocks and cracking the windscreen on the ND ......seriously ......that's if you really wanted to know ! :)
ND 1.5 GT - Off the shelf ...standard .......nothing done !
NA6 - Much the same

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Sun May 08, 2016 8:15 pm

mousemota wrote:

Out supporting the MX5 Club of Qld doing a run ............and getting hit by rocks and cracking the windscreen on the ND ......seriously ......that's if you really wanted to know ! :)

I think most ND owners won't be game enough to turn up to a Dodgy Day until the warranty runs out.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

mousemota
Driver
Vehicle: ND - 1.5 GT

Postby mousemota » Sun May 08, 2016 8:21 pm

Lokiel wrote:
mousemota wrote:

I think most ND owners won't be game enough to turn up to a Dodgy Day until the warranty runs out.

I think your right .......warranty is a big deal with a new car .....you pay for it !
ND 1.5 GT - Off the shelf ...standard .......nothing done !
NA6 - Much the same

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Mon May 09, 2016 8:50 am

Lokiel wrote:I think most ND owners won't be game enough to turn up to a Dodgy Day until the warranty runs out.

Attending a Dodgy Day voids the warranty?..... What exactly is it that you guys get up to on these days?!!!! :shock:
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Mon May 09, 2016 9:09 am

Things done:
1. Steampunk adjusting timing on a NA6, was complaining about a bolt so I offered him a chainsaw. Steampunk also arranged the photo and di other supervision :)
2. 2 attendees who adjusted their cars suspension and when they were put on the scales no adjustments were required (damm those 2).
3. Kimo had the gauge hood of his NA6 fixed (longer screws and big washers). Fixed his indicator cancel (missing the plastic part at the back), donation of parts from the shell. Kimo also learnt how to take the steering boss on/off numerous times to get the steering wheel straight.
4. MXO005 learnt how to square a drain plug up with a grinder and one or two other jobs.
5. pezchops had his magic box on the day and fixed many a small problem as well as cooked breakfast for everybody. Also pezchops has joined the ride a motorbike to work bunch so one day we are going to attend Roger's weekend coffee at Burpengary on motorbikes.
6. Lokiel cooked 2 roasts in his portable cookers as well as helped with jobs.
7. Blackleaf turned up to say hello and see what was happening.
8. Things were cable tied (possibly to strut braces)

All dodgy jobs are back by a full 30 pace warranty.

BlackLeaf
Racing Driver

Postby BlackLeaf » Mon May 09, 2016 10:18 am

I was well impressed. I counted 14 MX5s (and one wreck) when I was there, and there were 11 (or maybe 12?) different colours. Maybe next time I can hang around a little bit longer. Thank you for hosting the event, Magpie.
BlackLeaf
R.I.P. 90 Mariner Blue, 12/12/90 - 10/12/15
#321 89 Classic Red, 04/12/15 ->

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Mon May 09, 2016 12:32 pm

bruce wrote:Looks very nice. If we held one in Vic it looks like we'd need a big place to do so.

Mark's place is fantastic for these Dodgy Days, plenty of parking space, garage bays and the outdoor car tents make working in the open much nicer.

Most guys bring their own tools and Mark has an impressive arsenal of tools for those jobs requiring specific tools (or when things go wrong).

It's a great atmosphere and good to see that everyone was respectful with regard to tools and rubbish.
This was my second Dodgy Day at Mark's and I still can't believe that tools didn't get misplaced.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon May 09, 2016 4:29 pm

I'm happy to see the tradition continue.

MattR
Racing Driver

Postby MattR » Tue May 10, 2016 2:16 pm

Magpie wrote:Things done:
Also pezchops has joined the ride a motorbike to work bunch so one day we are going to attend Roger's weekend coffee at Burpengary on motorbikes.

When I am back in the country in June and hopefully get a spare weekend i will have to join you Mark, though i only have a tiddler 250 for the occasional commute from Ashgrove to the Valley or city.

Just need to replace my old bike helmet and update to some decent riding gear when I am back, and get licences sorted as I'm not sure on the status of mine at the moment I have had RE on my car licence for so long the rules have changed a couple of times.

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Thu May 12, 2016 11:48 am

TIMING LIGHT MYSTERY SOLVED!

I brought my newly purchased "Innova Digital Timing Light Tool with Advance + Tacho" along to help adjust the timing on Ian's car.
I liked the fact that this timing light reported the RPMs so was happy to pay a bit more for this feature.

Curiously on Ignition wire 1 it seemed to be mostly reporting double the RPM rate (occasionally reported the correct RPM) but correctly on Ignition wire 2.

Steampunk (aka Andrew) suggested there was something wrong with the RPM calibration but there was nothing in the manual about this.

The timing light only works as intended with Ignition wire 1 (we actually could use Ignition Wire 4 too - more on this below) so we ignored the RPM reading and just used the car's tacho and adjusted the Idle Screw to get the car idling correctly.

I did a quick Google on this issue this morning and the answer was obvious - our cars use Wasted Spark ignition so there are 2 sparks per rotation, which is why the timing light reported double the RPM rate (cylinders 1&4 and 2&3 are ignited at the same time).

Not sure why Ignition wire 2 was always reporting the correct RPMs, it should have behaved the same as Ignition wire 1.

Now I have to see if my timing light has a switch/setting for Wasted Spark vs Serial ignition.

Vat
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Vat » Thu May 12, 2016 12:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback on that. I went and bought one myself so I'd be interested what you find out.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
'98 Evo Gold NB8A
QR-Clubman 66.5109|Sprint 63.3635|Sportsman 67.4673|National 92.3481|Lakeside 65.7478|MP K 1:35.382|MP E 1:16.422|NM 1:08.017

Steampunk
Speed Racer

Postby Steampunk » Thu May 12, 2016 4:23 pm

MXO005 wrote:Steampunk, I owe you replacement Nulon. Sorry for not fixing you up on the day.

I still haven't been able to get anything completed by myself. My spanner work is getting slightly better but my adjustable spanner results are appalling :frown:

Nah it's cool, it was only a little bit not a whole bottle so no worth mentioning.

We've all rounded dozens of bolts, it's all a matter of practice makes perfect and getting a feel of when the bolt is actually turning in the thread or the bolt head is getting rounded and the only way to know is trial and error.
I tend to use sockets, or ring spanners, whenever possible as opposed to open-end spanners.

If you don't have a socket set yet, I've been using this set recently: https://www.tradetools.com/product-range/hand-tools/sockets-and-sets/force-15pc-3-8-surface-drive-socket-metric

They are superior to regular hex sockets as they grab more of the side of the bolt rather than the corner so less likely to round them off.

Return to “Queensland”