BRASS MONKEY EVENTS 2015 POSTPONED A WEEK

New South Wales and Canberra Events

Moderators: Andrew, -alex, miata, Midori

Midori
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: BRASS MONKEY EVENTS 2015 POSTPONED A WEEK

Postby Midori » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:33 pm

It was with regret that I postponed the running of the Brass Monkey on receipt of the advice from SES, RMS and Blue Mountains Police due to the weather forecast as at Friday morning. :( The BOMA forecast was for sub zero temperature,frost, snow and ice from the Upper Blue Mountains to Bathurst in the morning this Sunday with hazardous driving conditions predicted due to black and every other colour of ice on roads at the time the run was to drive over the mountains and across the Central Tablelands. :cry:

The ABC news at 6.00amthis morning reported that Police had closed the Great Western Highway between Victoria Pass and Bathurst due to dangerous driving conditions. :wink: Putting aside an individual's freedom of choice, the MX-5 Club of NSW has a responsibility to its members and guests to accept the advice of responsible authorities and rescheduled the chase after the Brass Monkey to 19 July 2015. :)

Cold weather is never a reason not to chase the Brass Monkey. A drive in an open roadster to greet the dawn on a chilly winter morning is the core feature of the event and embraced by those who participate annually. Black ice and forced road closures are on a different level of consideration and were taken into account on rescheduling the Brass Monkey this year.

If the event was held in defiance of common sense we would not have been permitted to proceed to Bathurst for breakfast in any event due to road closures. :o If we defied the road closure then in all probability not everyone would have arrived in Bathurst unscathed by 8.30am for breakfast. :roll: We will chase the Brass Monkey next week but today more than balls would have been on the line. :lol:

Register and have some cold chilly fun next Sunday.

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:54 pm

That was a good call there Midori, it was snowing both times I passed through Blackheath/Mt Victoria today! :shock:
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

Midori
Racing Driver

Postby Midori » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:00 pm

Did you drive through before or after sunrise and was the Great Western Highway closed between Lithgow & Bathurst as reported on the ABC news?

khlmx5
Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby khlmx5 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:55 pm

Is this a full day event? What time is expected to be returned to or near to startig point

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Midori
Racing Driver

Postby Midori » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:58 am

The event is a run to a rotating breakfast venue and this year it is Bathurst's turn. Breakfast is served between 8.30am and 9.3Oam. You can go home whichever way you chose the quickest (about 90 minutes to cross the Hawkesbury /Napean River) being the highway to Lithgow then decide on either the highway or Bells Line of Road depending which is more convenient or your personal preference. Your can join a club run the MX-5 Club Short Run sould get you back acrosss the river within 2 hours , the Long Run or RPM Lunch Run should get you back late afternoon.

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:19 am

Midori wrote:Did you drive through before or after sunrise and was the Great Western Highway closed between Lithgow & Bathurst as reported on the ABC news?

Outbound (@ Blackheath) was about 10am, return was ~4pm.

Live traffic (https://www.livetraffic.com/desktop.html) had the GWH between Lithgow & Bathurst re-opened at around 8am-ish but with warnings to be very cautious.
I was heading to folks place between Mt Vic & Lithgow so didn't see the conditions for myself.....

Unfortunately I'm working next weekend so am going to miss this one again this year. :(
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

khlmx5
Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby khlmx5 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:03 pm

Midori wrote:The event is a run to a rotating breakfast venue and this year it is Bathurst's turn. Breakfast is served between 8.30am and 9.3Oam. You can go home whichever way you chose the quickest (about 90 minutes to cross the Hawkesbury /Napean River) being the highway to Lithgow then decide on either the highway or Bells Line of Road depending which is more convenient or your personal preference. Your can join a club run the MX-5 Club Short Run sould get you back acrosss the river within 2 hours , the Long Run or RPM Lunch Run should get you back late afternoon.

So if i choose to leave after breakfast then i finished 9.30am and head home. Is that what you mean? If i continue on the short run after breaky, it will approx another two hrs return to breakfast point, right?

Midori
Racing Driver

Postby Midori » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:00 am

khlmx5 wrote:
Midori wrote:The event is a run to a rotating breakfast venue and this year it is Bathurst's turn. Breakfast is served between 8.30am and 9.3Oam. You can go home whichever way you chose the quickest (about 90 minutes to cross the Hawkesbury /Napean River) being the highway to Lithgow then decide on either the highway or Bells Line of Road depending which is more convenient or your personal preference. Your can join a club run the MX-5 Club Short Run sould get you back acrosss the river within 2 hours , the Long Run or RPM Lunch Run should get you back late afternoon.

So if i choose to leave after breakfast then i finished 9.30am and head home. Is that what you mean? If i continue on the short run after breaky, it will approx another two hrs return to breakfast point, right?

You are on the money. You are free to go back whenever you wish. You do not have to hang around after you finish your breakfast or do an organised run home. Short run meet up is at 10.15 at the top of Mt Panorama for 10.30 start, see Club Events page for more info.

5isalive
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby 5isalive » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:47 pm

I certainly hope it doesn't get postponed again. We ended up losing our accommodation money due to cancellation and 3 days pay. :cry: :NB8A: :cry:

mx5002
Racing Driver

Postby mx5002 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:45 pm

Looks like there is a new destination now to goulburn rather than through the mountains :cry:

My 5 is unbearable on the highway for long periods atm.

Hopefully someone can confirm.
GREEN ITB'd NB8B
SMSP south 1.04.30 SMSP GP 1:53:12 SMSP Brabham 2.21.11
Marulan 47.01
Wakefield 1.09.64 :D

5isalive
Fast Driver

Postby 5isalive » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:19 am

Hi everyone,

I'm posting a link to "Dropbox" for anyone interested in seeing the photos my Wife and I took of the Brass Monkey run to Goulburn on the 19th July.

Perhaps you will see a few photos of youself or your car etc. Feel free to copy and paste what you like. Be patient as there are over 200 shots and they're very large files. We hope you enjoy them. We'd like to see anyone elses pix if they'd like to share them.

The link is as follows: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mjvwruo9eage ... OcEta?dl=0

Cath and I had a great time and met some lovely people. Hope to see you all again next year. Hopefully we won't get snowed out again next time.

Wayne. :NB8B: :beer: :NB8B:

Return to “New South Wales/ACT”