TAS Road Trip - Feb 2011

Victorian and Tasmanian Events

Moderators: Stu, Andrew, miata

two40
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

TAS Road Trip - Feb 2011

Postby two40 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:41 pm

In February 2011 I'm coming down to experience the roads and beauty of Tasmania. It will be a ~10 day camping trip that's akin to a sample pack of chocolates. I intend to try as many roads and see as many sights as I can so that when I next return I will be able to visit the regions I most enjoyed. I am not an experienced camper but I'm sure I'll pick it up after a couple of awkward nights. I have purchased some of the gear I need and over the next few months will buy the rest. At the end of it all I will have spent more money buying gear than I would have if I chose to stay at B&B's but I really do want to try out camping.

As much as I'd like to come this year it's a little too late for me as I have already committed my holiday leave for the year. So Feb 2011 it is. :) A member from here will also be coming along unless his work somehow gets in the way. Alone or in company, I am coming down.

The trip will roughly follow this path:

devonport > montagu > strahan > mt field > hobart > cygnet > coles bay > launceston > east devonport

This is my Google maps itinerary I threw together. Please have a look at it and let me know if you think I should take a different road on certain portions of the trip. I've tried to avoid highways as much as possible and each way point is a rough destination for a camp sight or general area where I'd like to sight see. I will most likely stay a couple of nights at two or three of the camp sights where there are lots of things to see and where the showers are warm. :D

Any tips, must see sights, dos and don'ts etc are much appreciated.

Finally, I will be blogging about this trip as time permits. Here is my first entry with a little spiel about Tassie that might not entirely be grounded in truth. :lol:

http://chicaneculture.com/2010/03/04/ta ... trip-2011/
Last edited by two40 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
George
WTB
- Early NA Radio
- Crash pad for '89 NA
headlightsgoup.com

Guran
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - 1.5

TAS Road Trip - Feb 2011

Postby Guran » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:27 pm

Looks like a great itinerary George. :mrgreen:

I've not dríven from north to south-west so can't comment much on that bit. Don't be too put off by the thought of highway driving in Tassie. With the exception of Highway 1 between Burnie, Launceston and Hobart (dual carriage way), the highways tend to be very entertaining drives, especially once you get beyond the city limits. The A10 road between Oonah and Parrawe looks pretty twisty - might want to look at that instead of B18. I applaud your decision to stop at Mt Field. It's an excellent National Park and the camp grounds are fantastic. I don't know too much about the loop out to Cygnet, but you might also consider a trip over to Bruny Island which makes for nice touring. North of Coles Bay (make sure you book ahead for a national park campsite at Coles Bay - they're worth it!), I've not dríven the inland route, and have nothing but praise for the coastal road (A3/A4) all the way to St Helens (excellent beachside free camping at Binalong Bay). The oysters and crays from St Helens are superb! The Tasman Hwy (A3) to Launceston is a (mostly) fantastic drive too. Your twisty inland route looks very tasty too! Maybe you could "figure eight" it so you can see more of the east coast?
Standard 2006 NC - YouTube
WP 1:11.89 | SMP-S 1:05.90 GP 1:54.93 N 1:18.09 L 2:22.49 | PW 1:02.52
PI 2:00.55 | W-S 1:12.44 W-L 1:43.36 | SR 1:33.25

Bauer
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

TAS Road Trip - Feb 2011

Postby Bauer » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:32 pm

At a quick glance it looks the good except the east coast run to Launceston.

A must do would be to go north from Coles Bay to St Helens via St marys. This gives you 2 great mountain roads within an hour. The Elephant Pass and St Marys pass. Then go to Launceston via Scottsdale gives you the Weldborough Pass and the Sideling, more of our great roads

And to keep some perspective on what you are doing. Its approx a 2 hour drive up the guts from Hobart to Launceston. So you are never really going to be too far from anywhere if you get side tracked or decide to spend an extra day in a particularly good spot.
cheers
Stu

Bauer
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

TAS Road Trip - Feb 2011

Postby Bauer » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:38 pm

and a closer glance says you plot from B to C down the west coast is a brave one. Corinna has no bridge and relies on the ferry to get people/cars across. Apparently the pub there is to die for for food, drink and company but I must say I would suggest that for your 2nd trip down here. They call it the "road to nowhere". Suggest come back to Burnie and highway it down the Queenstown. It is still a twisty country road.
cheers
Stu

two40
Racing Driver

TAS Road Trip - Feb 2011

Postby two40 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:50 pm

Guran wrote:I don't know too much about the loop out to Cygnet, but you might also consider a trip over to Bruny Island which makes for nice touring. North of Coles Bay (make sure you book ahead for a national park campsite at Coles Bay - they're worth it!), I've not dríven the inland route, and have nothing but praise for the coastal road (A3/A4) all the way to St Helens (excellent beachside free camping at Binalong Bay). The oysters and crays from St Helens are superb! The Tasman Hwy (A3) to Launceston is a (mostly) fantastic drive too. Your twisty inland route looks very tasty too! Maybe you could "figure eight" it so you can see more of the east coast?

I've got Cygnet in there because of a camp ground I wanted to visit. Has hot showers. :mrgreen:

I'm also staying at Freycinet (Coles Bay). Reviews of the camp sites look excellent. I won't book since the trip will be all seat of the pants stuff but there are several campsites there so I'm sure I'll be fine. Thanks for the heads up though. :)

Oysters at St Helens noted! :mrgreen:

Bauer wrote:At a quick glance it looks the good except the east coast run to Launceston.

A must do would be to go north from Coles Bay to St Helens via St marys. This gives you 2 great mountain roads within an hour. The Elephant Pass and St Marys pass. Then go to Launceston via Scottsdale gives you the Weldborough Pass and the Sideling, more of our great roads

Good one. Thanks for that. I've made some changes. If you get a chance please have a look. I've edited the original link.

Bauer wrote:and a closer glance says you plot from B to C down the west coast is a brave one. Corinna has no bridge and relies on the ferry to get people/cars across. Apparently the pub there is to die for for food, drink and company but I must say I would suggest that for your 2nd trip down here. They call it the "road to nowhere". Suggest come back to Burnie and highway it down the Queenstown. It is still a twisty country road.

Fair point. I could always head up the C247 at Corinna but I'll trust you on that one. Cheers.
George
WTB
- Early NA Radio
- Crash pad for '89 NA
headlightsgoup.com

de Bounce
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

TAS Road Trip - Feb 2011

Postby de Bounce » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:49 am

We were looking at one of these cards for our next trip to Tasmania.
It's a 'See Tasmania Smart Visit Card'
According to their blurb it gets you into 60 different attractions, some for free, others at a reduced cost.
A 10 day card (currently) cost $315 per adult and includes a guidebook.
2011 NC2 PRHT SE in Dolphin Grey
2001 NB8B in Crystal Blue - Sold :(
Motorkhana Video

Oni
Driver
Vehicle: NA6 - Turbo

TAS Road Trip - Feb 2011

Postby Oni » Fri May 14, 2010 4:17 pm

Looks like a fun trip. I live about a 5 min drive from the Spirit terminal so if u want a bed for a few nights or anything let me know :) ill PM my address and phone number :).

PS. i think i might steal your plan when i have some time off, i live in Tas but ive never really seen it.

two40
Racing Driver

Re: TAS Road Trip - Feb 2011

Postby two40 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:49 pm

Only 5 more sleeps before I take off for this small adventure. :) I decided to stop at 6 locations and this is my updated map.

Oni was kind enough to provide me with his contact details. Thanks again. :) I was hoping someone else closer to Hobart would be kind enough to share their contact details in case of an emergency. I'm going in well prepared but you just never know and I would feel a lot safer having a mobile to call if I have car troubles or something. If you think you can help, please pm me your details. I will be in the state from 11 Feb to 21 Feb.
George
WTB
- Early NA Radio
- Crash pad for '89 NA
headlightsgoup.com

de Bounce
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: TAS Road Trip - Feb 2011

Postby de Bounce » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:12 am

Planned trip looks good
Hope you have a ball and the weather is kind