Western Australian Events

Moderators: zombie, Andrew, miata

matty_g
Learner Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

New owner - NA Special

Postby matty_g » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:41 am

Hey there guys!

Just thought I'd say hi to you all and look forward to getting to know you, as I'm sure there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum.
My Car is a 1992 NA6CE Special, being a jap import (I'm the 3rd owner in Aust) the Kms are reasonable, sitting just shy of 150K.
I've done a lot of research on builds ect - having had the car for a little over 2 months now, I'm more than happy with the revy nature of the 1.6 and despite all online testimony and evidence I will not be switching the power plant to a 1.8l. My previous car was a 2002 STI and after owning that and jumping in the Roadster I can't work out where everyone see's the lack of power? The car is what it is, and... well it's rad. At the moment it is my daily so work I do to it/ have done has to be some what of a quick turn around :D haha.
I have just installed:
Stainless 4 to 1 headers.
Car Make Corn*s stainless cat back.
Brown Davis Rollbar.

I have bought but not installed:
Number plate offset bracket.
Frame Rail Sleeves
AE101 Throttle bodies

Future mods:
IRTB - (would love to meed with any 1.6 owners in Perth who can help me) - already have the AE101 Throttle bodies and am about to order the adapter plate.
Stainless brake lines.
More aggressive Brake Pads
Slotted and drilled discs.
Coilovers for adjustability - as my KYB shocks and spring set up is a load of teeth chattering fun :)
Over fenders - nothing crazy - (would love suggestions or info about any trouble with the Police you may have?)
Koyo radiator.
Mild head work and Cams?
Stand alone computer.

Thanks for reading, look forward to getting to know you all.

Kind Regards

Matt
mx5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bauer
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: New owner - NA Special

Postby Bauer » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:52 pm

hey and welcome

car looks good. Need more pics though without boats in the shot (or the water craft)

:D
cheers
Stu

sailaholic
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8

Postby sailaholic » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:48 pm

I've got itbs and probably wouldn't go to the effort the next time around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:58 pm

madjak in WA is doing ITB's, however using Jenveys.

madjak
Racing Driver

Postby madjak » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:29 pm

Heya Matty_G

I have a couple of NA6s, one has been converted to a race car with a built N/A 1.8 and the other I'm building up as an original B-spec out of the bits replaced in my race car.

I've been looking at the Jenvey ITBs but haven't moved on them yet. Trying to decide on them or a more serious supercharger upgrade.

What are your plans for the car? The local MX5 club runs a series of motorsport events that are very low cost with an event more than once a month. I would suggest joining the club and coming out to a few events.

In terms of your upgrades. There aren't many people out there running ITBs in MX5s. The more typical upgrade path is to a turbo. I would suggest installing an ECU prior to changing the engine so that you can get everything sorted before add more complex upgrades.

I wouldn't worry about the radiator unless your having issues with it. Brakes etc can all be upgraded but it really depends on what your plans are in terms of motorsport, spirited road driving or just a daily.

My upgrades from a stock NA6 that I drove for 5 years to a race car went something like this:
Lightweight wheels and good tires
Racing seat
Harness
Fire extinguisher
DBA brakes and race pads
Cold air intake
Removed aircon
Removed power steering and depowered the rack
Rear clutch pack diff
Removed power steering
6-speed box

Thats when I realised a 1.6 wouldn't cut it for beating Lotuses...

So I installed a built 1.8l, oil cooler, FPR, small radiator, aluminium exhaust etc etc

thats enough for now, It'll be good to see how you progress the car.
NA8: N/A 200whp | Haltech | Skunk2 Intake | S90 TB | RCP | 5 speed c/r dogbox | 4.78 diff | AST Shocks
Barbs L: 64.12 | S: 58.62 | Collie: 49.72

sailaholic
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8

Postby sailaholic » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:08 pm

Wow, Madjak that power steer must have been really throughly depowered. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madjak
Racing Driver

Postby madjak » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:16 pm

Ok so it sounds silly when I read it now... made sense when I typed it!

I first pulled out the power steering pump and ran it with no pump (bridged the ports on the rack), then I pulled out the rack and hacked it to bits and removed the fluid.

but anyway... Matty_g, I put a post in this subforum regarding a CAMS Come 'n' Try weekend. Not a bad one to test out your car and see if your keen on some motorsport!
NA8: N/A 200whp | Haltech | Skunk2 Intake | S90 TB | RCP | 5 speed c/r dogbox | 4.78 diff | AST Shocks

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:48 pm

At present the MX5 ITB capital is possibly around Brisbane. Make sure you have a look at the ITB section of the forum and feel free to add/ask questions.

matty_g
Learner Driver

Postby matty_g » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:00 pm

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replys :)
I will get some more photo's up soon.
With the ITB's i know it will probably be a pain to build it up but i've done the turbo thing in my Wrx, it was fun, there's no comparison to the intake noise of ITB's makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
I plan to build the car to do mountain runs, as i live close to some really nice roads, and the occasional track day and also a daily for the most part, never been the person to build something up then leave it in the shed only for weekends the more kms i put on the clock the better.

madjak - that build sounds pretty awesome, i'm sure mine will eventually head into the more extreme side of things soon enough :D

madjak
Racing Driver

Postby madjak » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:05 am

I love the sound from itbs... the reason why I'd love to have a play with them. The main issue with the mx5 engines is the proximity of the no 4 trumpet to the clutch and brake masters. This makes it hard to install long enough trumpets or a good sized airbox.

matty_g
Learner Driver

Postby matty_g » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:47 pm

Hey guys, i know Megasquirt is usually the normal job for these cars but would a Microtech Lt-10S work to run IRTB set up?

Cheers for your help. :)

matty_g
Learner Driver

Postby matty_g » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:54 am

Hey guys,
Long time since I have posted but I thought it would be cool to right a recap of nearly the last 2 years for anyone who would like a read and also for myself to see what I have done with all the little jobs here and there listed all together.
So to go back to the beginning I picked up the car early 2015.
13355672_529269920609563_580461363_n.jpg

Specs at that stage:
Its a 1992 Special Edition Roadster with a long nose B6ze, factory LSD (Viscous) around 150,000 km on the clock.
Engine was stock as a rock.
Hard top with what looked like a new soft top underneath - the old owner was telling my he never really had the roof off the car so it's in good nick.
Massive 16x8 0 offset rotas (I bought the car with these being one of the first things on my list to move on - just not my style)
13402609_1759927630885967_1961335573_n.jpg

So first thing I ended up doing was getting my hands on some 4-2-1 headers. (Only cheap ones but ported them with a dremel to the exhaust ports on the head to help a little - will be getting something a bit more serious if I start chasing larger power figures but for now they do the job and over all I am aiming for a fun, reliable car that isn't too insane)
Then added the Carmakecorns 1 single piece exhaust from the cat back (I want to replace the cat with a more free flowing unit but I am afraid it will attract too much attention from the red and blue street ravers - would love to hear some of your opinions on products and noise levels generated)
13534327_1735470730066523_1486244165_n.jpg

15043523_734577953361126_2283676171897929728_n.jpg

Next up was moving the rotas far, far away from my car - they look OK but again, just not my taste.
These are Hayashi Streets 14x6.5 0 offset rears and the fronts running 25mm bolt on spacers to bring the wheel to the same width as the rears.
14723662_1144016492300382_1098946968425594880_n.jpg

I also sourced a Sparco Sprint V seat, and a vented headlight cover (forgot the brand off the top of my head but it's one that was brought in from Japan with my wheels.
Next on the list was to deal with the frame rails.
I didn't get any pictures of the install but I picked up some frame rail sleeves from omgpham.
The install involved bending the original chassis rails back to normal width - mine where a nice abstract art pieces form from speed bumps and the like due to the ride height (KYB struts and jap lowing springs from the owner in Japan - sorry, I'll probably drop random specs in like this as I'm writing from memory at this stage) Before I started drilling and fitting the rail sleeves I de-greased , rust treated, and painted the areas I'd be covering with the new parts just for my own piece of mind - I'm pretty sure this car was somewhere rural in Japan when it started it's life with the original owner judging by the original papers I got with the car. The chassis has very faint surface rust which I am treating as jobs take me around the car. I then pulled the hard lines on the driver's side out the way and slid the rail sleeves over the newly "re-adjusted" chassis rails. This was followed by a lot of checking twice and drilling once.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:33 am

so did the ITBs happen?

matty_g
Learner Driver

Postby matty_g » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:40 pm

rascal wrote:so did the ITBs happen?

Hey rascal,
Not yet, but I'm getting closer.
I ended up selling the 20v ITB's the T3 adapter was a hassle as I was waiting for nearly 2 years for it so I asked for my money back and got myself a Jenvey set, a ME221 ECU, vacuum block and lines, just installed a wide band ready for the computer to be dropped in sometime this week I think.
I just need a FPR and the jenvey throttle cable bracket assembly.
I will do a bit more of a write up with some snaps hopefully later tonight if anyone is interested to see.
IMAG0043.jpg

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:00 pm

Air box?

Return to “Western Australia”