Adelaiders - Okibi is coming to town, time for a run!!!

South Australian and Nothern Territory Events

Moderators: Andrew, miata

redshoes

Adelaiders - Okibi is coming to town, time for a run!!!

Postby redshoes » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:09 pm

Hi Guys,
Okibi/Dave will be coming back through Adelaide on his way home from Natmeet. :shock:

He's got to have his car at a shipping depot before 5pm on Friday 04 April. I'm going to follow him out there and pick him and want to organize us all into a bit of a hills run and dinner after.

So who is available for fri evening 4 April to meet Okibi in Adelaide?? Anyone who say they are in, I'll PM you so we can work out a spot in the eastern suburbs to meet and maybe head up Magill Road and onto Norton Summit Road heading through the corkscrews to Loebathal. But that plan is definitely open to debate and suggestion!!

ps if any of you non-SAers are going to be in town the same weekend please let me know and join in, I'm sure we'll have enough seats for everyone. :D

Come on guys, lets take a leaf out of the QLDers' book and rally around and show a fellow forumite and an out of stater some South Aussie hospitality!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

SuperMazdaKart
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby SuperMazdaKart » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:13 pm

can we all draw on his face? for all those photochop moments :lol:

i could come along but not much of a hills driver myself, but I'm sure Adam can show him the ropes around those parts :)
Last edited by SuperMazdaKart on Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam_NAclubman
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby Adam_NAclubman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:24 pm

I can supply a route, as long as no-one crashes while following me this time! The last time was scary!

What about dinner at The British at North Adelaide, then a run through the hills starting somewhere around magill?

SuperMazdaKart
Racing Driver

Postby SuperMazdaKart » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:59 pm

no-one crashed last time??? do you mean everyone else going slower due to the interstaters with precious cargo?

redshoes

Postby redshoes » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:06 pm

Well I'd be happy not to make it a really FAST run. I'm sure you guys are alot faster at this game than I am!

The British is a nice pub. Okibi has to drop his car out at Wingfield at 5pm. I have no idea what direction you guys will all be coming from so a nice central dinner location would be a great idea!

And SMK, I have a nice selection of textas... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steampunk
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Steampunk » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:14 pm

Don't forget to take some happy snaps!

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Re:

Postby Okibi » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:07 pm

SuperMazdaKart wrote:can we all draw on his face? for all those photochop moments :lol:..

I'd ugly enough already :lol:
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

randymx5
Fast Driver

Postby randymx5 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:09 pm

Count me in!!

I might need a bit of reminding once the event gets a little closer tho..
R&ALL

RED 1990 MX5, AVO stage II, 148.5rwKw

Adam_NAclubman
Racing Driver

Re:

Postby Adam_NAclubman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:34 pm

SuperMazdaKart wrote:no-one crashed last time??? do you mean everyone else going slower due to the interstaters with precious cargo?

Yes they did... Somehow at low speed (ie I wasnt even braking for the corners) they went off on the end of a corner and ended up in a field two metres below the height of the road. We got to the end of a secton of road and noticed they weren't behind anymore, waited a bit then went back to find them, then almost freaked out (that was a situation where you REALLY didnt want that car going off the road)

SuperMazdaKart
Racing Driver

Postby SuperMazdaKart » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:56 pm

oh, i gather this one aint an mx5cartalk SA event then, just so everyone knows. closest i've seen of any of the MX5 locals having an accident is AstroBoySoup on a HondaPrelude cruise, spun out & ended facing the mountainside but no prangs fortunately. that was ages ago & not all that long after he got his car. just as well his car wasn't painted yet either.

Adam_NAclubman
Racing Driver

Postby Adam_NAclubman » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:16 pm

It was the last cartalk one, after you left. The S15 ended up in a paddock even though we were going soul crushingly slow

SuperMazdaKart
Racing Driver

Postby SuperMazdaKart » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:49 pm

eh? really? is the pregnant lady ok??

certainly didn't read anything about this in the original thread.

vak82
Fast Driver

Re:

Postby vak82 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:07 pm

SuperMazdaKart wrote:eh? really? is the pregnant lady ok??
certainly didn't read anything about this in the original thread.

Both driver and passenger came out ok and they're doing just fine at the moment. Lack of experience with the car was probably what triggered the accident. One thing for sure though is that he really admires MX5s now.
NA6T = Playtime | NC = Snooze

SuperMazdaKart
Racing Driver

Postby SuperMazdaKart » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 am

ah thats good then. i spose we'll see them here in about 18 years time (mx5classiccartalk.com) when he's going through his mid life crisis stage & the kid has moved out of home :)

redshoes

Postby redshoes » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:02 pm

Hi Adelaide forumites!

I’m now trying to organize the get together for Okibi/Dave’s visit to Adelaide on his way back to Perth after Natmeet. He will still be in Adelaide on Friday 04 April and has to have his 5 at the transport depot at Wingfield before 5pm.

I have two tentative activities in mind and would love to have as many Adelaidians as possible join in both or one. Here are my thoughts:

Dave will be driving up that morning from Mt Gambier (his tentative plan at this stage). I propose to take some leave and have a half day off and meet him at Mt Barker exit of the freeway and lead him on a bit of a drive through to Nairne, Woodside and Loebethal and then down Norton Summit Road to Magill Road and then out to Wingfield to drop off his car. I’m going to do a test run on Saturday morning 29 March to check out time and roads etc. Anyone else in a position to come along on that Friday afternoon run? You don’t have to say yes immediately, just need to let me know the day before so I know whether or not we have to wait up for anyone else. Or maybe we could even head up the freeway in a little convoy to meet him at Mt Barker?!

Second part of the plan is to leave the depot at Wingfield and rendezvous at a common point and then take Dave on another bit of a hills drive, maybe up Greenhill road through Uraidla to Balhannah and then down the freeway and perhaps have dinner at the Bath Hotel in Norwood? Since daylight savings will be over by then I thought a run before dinner would be a good plan so he could see some of the scenery and appreciate our wonderful twisty Hills roads!

I am very open to ideas and suggestions so please let me know your thoughts. BTW, hope you won’t mind if this isn’t a speed run, just more of a leisurely amble – I’m sure I could never keep up with you guys on a quick drive!!

Also, if anyone wants to meet up for just one part of the day that’s okay too. If you can’t do the drive/s but want to meet up for dinner that’s fine. I thought I would make a reservation for wherever we are going to end up for dinner so I need to get some idea of numbers and also whether any of you have any other ideas for the run and for the dinner.

I look forward to meeting you all - finally!! BTW, PM me if you want my mobile or want to give me your number for me to ring you! :mrgreen: :D :D

Return to “South Australia/NT”