upcoming dyno day

South Australian and Nothern Territory Events

Moderators: Andrew, miata

SuperMazdaKart
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

upcoming dyno day

Postby SuperMazdaKart » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:58 pm

Looks like a dyno day is being organised from Boostcruising.com & we've been invited to go along. In about 6 weeks time but they want definate numbers of how many will turn up. & a a desposit might be required to secure a turn on the dyno.

It's still being organised but expect the usual dyno day scenario, 3 runs & then a printout of the highest figure, should cost about $50 for each car.

It'll be at

THR Developments
167 Grand Junction Rd
Ottoway
SA, 5013

Looks like I'll most likely be going. Already know how much the MarioKart MX-5 makes so will put Tenchu on & see how much (or how little) the white cart makes :lol:

redshoes

upcoming dyno day

Postby redshoes » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:11 pm

Hi Vu,
I've never done anything like a dyno day. Is this something one does just for fun or only really done if you're going to race the car? And what do you mean by "3 runs"?? And if I don't do the dyno can I still come and watch on the day?!!
(forgive me being such a novice! :oops: )

SuperMazdaKart
Racing Driver

upcoming dyno day

Postby SuperMazdaKart » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:00 am

well, people do it to mainly to find out how much power their car makes. also useful to find out how good any modifications made to the car are & also to help diagnose some potential problems. not really done for fun, for that you'd be better off using the money on petrol & then going for a drive through the hills.

what basically happens is the car is put onto rollers, an exhaust probe is put into the exhaust pipe, both of which are connected to a computer. the dyno operator accelerates the driving wheels of the car on these rollers & the computer calculates the power measurements & also the air fuel ratios from the exhaust. they will usually do this 3 times to get 3 measurements & then use the highest measurement (or maybe an average) for the graph printout.

they will then explain what these measurements mean & tell you how the car is running & whether it all looks normal etc.

anyone can come along to watch, not necessary to be a participant. it is a multi car dyno day so expect lots of nissans. things like silvias, skylines, & the other japanese turbo hoon cars common in the hoon scene.

feel free to come along, same goes for anyone wanting to watch or have their car go on the dyno.

i probably will. not with MarioKart though, i already know how much power that one makes. :)

sample photo

Adam_NAclubman
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

upcoming dyno day

Postby Adam_NAclubman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:31 pm

I'm not interested in the slightest, if everyone would pick a bloody workshop and stick to it so that the readings are always on the same dyno I'd be tempted, but since I've not used that workshop before it won't give me any comparison with the last time my car was dyno'd, just against other cars that are there on the day

SuperMazdaKart
Racing Driver

upcoming dyno day

Postby SuperMazdaKart » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:39 pm

heh, well you aren't being forced to go adam. i'm not organising it, just passing the info around for those who may be interested :)

if you've already been on the dyno before & havn't had any more reasonable engine performance mods done then there is no need to go on the dyno again. i'm only going to see what lil Tenchu can do with my own eyes.

mario kart has been on 3 different dynos & the readings were only 1 or 2 kilowatts apart. close enough for me to make a comparison between them all.

Adam_NAclubman
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

upcoming dyno day

Postby Adam_NAclubman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:46 pm

I'm sticking to BoostWorx for dyno runs now I think

SuperMazdaKart
Racing Driver

upcoming dyno day

Postby SuperMazdaKart » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:53 pm

no worries.

theres actually another dyno day coming up later on with Boostworx, but it's gonna be a high power competition between domestics & imports.

i've been to the Boostworx dyno before. last time CSA organised it i think.. was also posted on here but only Astroboy & me turned up there. $30 for 3 runs there, MarioKart did 63kw there.

Return to “South Australia/NT”